1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catalyst here...maybe. Advice?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Woodswoman, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Lia444

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you need to have another go at getting an answer out of her re where you stand as this suspense is killing me! haha

dreamingfreely likes this.
  2. dreamingfreely

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I second this. I feel like she should at least try to clear up her feelings. Hopefully she will in time. Maybe she is still trying to figure them out i guess, but not telling is like giving you hope.

3. Woodswoman

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree! I couldn't help myself....I texted to see if she was available for a chat sometime. No response yet but I know that doesn't mean anything.

I'm really getting in deep here....sigh

Mabel and dreamingfreely like this.
  4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think perhaps the problem is she doesn't know what she feels or if she knows what she feels she doesn't know what to do about it.

5. Woodswoman

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She texted me back that today wasn't good, busy with family stuff. Maybe tomorrow but didn't sound promising. Said she needed to 'have a conversation' but I'm not sure if she meant with me...
    Hmmm

My fear right now is that my stupid ramblings the other day came off wrong in this way: that I wanted to define the line between us and that her 'mixed messages' weren't helping. Maybe I didn't make it clear enough that I was hoping she could tell me where that line is. I'm thinking that could explain her lack of feedback. Thoughts?

6. Moonsparkle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think Silver is on to something here. She may not know WHAT she is feeling--or how to interpret it, if that makes sense. That's how it was when I met the woman who would become my girlfriend. (Always been with men til that very point.) So back when we were in just friends stage I was having all of these weird (aka sexual!) feelings for her...but I couldnt really square it up in my head...since y'know...she was a girl. Could be the same way with your fan of a certain 70's song friend!

LostInDaydreams and Woodswoman like this.
  7. Woodswoman

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, halo is likely right, always so wise! Sometimes it seems so obvious that my friend has a 'thing' for me. Then I get stuck in my own head, trying to figure out my own feelings and what to do about them, and I start doubting. Like most people, I am of course afraid of rejection. However, I think I'm more afraid of contributing to the break-down of a family/marriage. I wish I could've been more patient about telling her how I feel. The intensity just got overwhelming, and made me just crazy over her. Ahhh the guilt I'm feeling today sucks!

8. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha I'm not always right.
    Ok stop feeling guilty you have every right to share what's on your mind.

Imagine for her that she is also seeing all of these hints and clues that you are seeing but nobody has yet given her the code book with which to decipher the encryption. She knows these things are there she just hasn't worked out what they mean.

9. Butterflies85

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How do you feel about putting it clearer in a text message or a little note? That way she is not right in front of you making you feel all giddy :wink: It might be easier to frame is delicately but also straight to the point if you have time to put the sentences together just right. It might also take away the fear for her a little as well, and she may be able to be more open too. She might not have responded because she was nervous as well.

10. Woodswoman

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, here's the update nobody's been waiting for more than me:
    My friend and I went to lunch again today. I had no expectations, just the hope that I could bring up the subject of 'us' and she'd be open to further discussion. And she was. I had a really good day yesterday, connected with an old friend this morning, even got some exercise in before work. So I guess I was on an emotional high that really helped me be less anxious than the other day. Slowly, carefully, I began to talk. I apologized for the other day and explained how I was so nervous and all the words came out wrong, and that I think she misunderstood what I was looking for. I said, 'do you think the jist of what I said was that I wanted to establish a boundary or line between us because I've been getting mixed messages and basically... knock it off?' She confirmed that yes, that's what she thought I was saying. I was like, ok that explains a lot...I'm sorry but here's what I really meant:...and again, slowly, carefully, I explained how there have been countless situations where what she did or said could be interpreted as flirtatious and gave me the impression that she could be romantically interested. I asked her to help me understand if I got the wrong impression and to tell me where that boundary lies. She was quiet for a bit, then asked for me to provide examples. So, I did...that was probably the hardest part so far...telling her about several interactions that made me question. I forgot about the song like an idiot, but told her about lots of other things, including her visit to my office this morning to tell me how sexy she felt with the new haircut & style she got last night (fairly short with purple highlights btw! Very sexy, I thought). She did not share this sentiment with the rest of the office gals lol. So anyway, I'm going through examples and she's like, ok I can understand this and that. We also delve into the topic of her marriage and all the things she's said that indicated she was unhappy and possibly looking to leave. She was so gracious and seemed to really 'get' where I was coming from. For a couple minutes the conversation veered off a bit and I was like no way, gotta reign it in here. So I got her back on topic and she's taking her time. By the way, the whole time, all the time in fact, she looks right into me, like we see each other soul-to-soul right? She's even mentioned she experiences the same sensation. Anyway, then she says, this is really hard for me too. I again apologized for putting her in this situation. Then she proceeded to say she was sorry, that she recognizes all the inappropriate actions on her part that led me down this path, that she's never had a friend like me where she can be so open and there's no drama, but she loves her husband, is not leaving him, and she is not interested in any kind of romantic relationship with me. Ouch!

I'm still in shock I think. Writing all of this out felt weirdly distant. I know it will hit me soon, just trying to keep it together until I can be alone. I feel so stupid...​

11. idsm

Why do you feel stupid? Even she recognized that she was in fact kind of leading you on.
    Of course it's a bummer that things didn't turn out as you would have wished, but at least you know where you stand now and you can move on instead of keep thinking about her.

You may not see it right now but today was actually a good day. :slight_smile:

12. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't feel stupid you didn't make it up. I don't even think you saw something that wasn't there. In fact she didn't even say she didn't have feelings for you she just said she was staying with her husband. I know none of this makes it any better or easier for you or makes it hurt any less but please don't be hard on yourself.

LostInDaydreams likes this.
  13. Mabel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think any of us would have jumped to the same conclusions! I also think that she is confused about her feelings, she is just not ready to confront that. She may be at some point but who knows when?
    I think the way you handled this was spot on. You took away the games and just went for honesty and authenticity. This is hard to do and most people avoid it, it takes a strong person to do otherwise. Now you can give yourself some space and move forward. I know it’s hard, bent away at me...I’ll be here for ya!

LostInDaydreams and silverhalo like this.
  14. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    First of all, my sympathies. No matter how "right" it was to do this, it gives you a feeling like falling forever. Nobody deserves that.

Next, you are awesome for being so articulate and (oh the irony) dispassionate in asking what's going on. My personal hunch... oh forget that, your judgment is better and you're on the spot. (In both senses.) Do you know how many women (and men) are out there just wishing and hoping and thinking that nobody like you exists? Prove one (or more) of them wrong.

#74 beenthrdonetht, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  15. HelpLOL

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    :frowning2: that feeling sucks... but I have to commend you on having that talk with her. Open and vulnerable, not always easy to when you don't know how the other person feels about you. Hopefully after a little space the friendship can stay strong. Just... be careful... You know there is a chance this isn't the end of the story, don't get caught up in drama. The ball is back on your side of the court, If things pop back up down the road let it be on your terms. Make sure she knows and is honest with herself before going down that road.

16. Woodswoman

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you all for your comments and support. I'm clinging to them pretty heavily this morning. I haven't spoken to anyone in person about what I've been going through with my friend, but I think I need to. I have a couple of options, but discretion is important so I need to be careful. I live in a small-town kind of area and we both work in a professional capacity so I don't want to create any rumors or drama ya know?
    I have to get into work now but would like to respond to everyone specifically so will work on that when I can. Side note: she's coincidentally on a business trip for the rest of the week, so I won't be seeing her. It's kinda nice, like the universe throwing me bone lol. I think a little time apart and space will help as I process things...

17. Woodswoman

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you @idsm you are right I'm sure I will come around to seeing it as a good day, but I'm not there yet. It was really nice to know that she finally understood where I was coming from. I'm glad I got some kind of answer...

18. Woodswoman

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ugh it's hard to hear that she may in fact actually have feelings for me, but I guess you could be right. At the time, I took what she said at face value and didn't question it. I just hope it doesn't mean continued anguish on my part, but that's really up to me if I can manage it.

19. Woodswoman

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mabel you nailed it - I am not about games and pretenses. I see so many people walking around with mask upon mask upon mask....how tiring that must be! It IS hard to tell people the truth and be who you are and say how you feel. But it's so worth it...

Mabel likes this.
  20. Woodswoman

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @beenthrdonetht you made me laugh even through tears. The irony was great :slight_smile:
    I hope you're right and I find that special someone. Thank you for the compliment