1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

am i actually a lesbian?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by andiechan, Nov 29, 2017.

1. andiechan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    a few years ago i came to terms with the fact that i was a lesbian and i kissed and dated girls and it was great. the concept of being with a man sexually was not originally appealing to me in the same way that being with a woman was, but i found myself becoming more and more open to men and experimenting with labels and different genders as time passed.
    i met a guy about 3 months ago and we really hit it off and i felt myself forming a crush on him, and so i started ID-ing as bi and we started going out. i really enjoyed talking with him and having a good time hanging out, but the first time we kissed... i cried. literally i went home and cried for an hour because i was feeling uncomfortable and gross and all around disgusting. we went out a few more times and every time we would get physical and go a little further, i would just feel a sense of uneasiness and violation. i originally chalked this up to me having been assaulted and traumatized by men in the past and the fact that i have emotional intimacy issues and anxieties, but i'm beginning to think that this means something more than being afraid of vulnerability. do you think it's possible that i could actually just be a lesbian?
    ALSO: any lesbian who has dated men in the past - how did you know you were a lesbian while you were still in the relationship?

#1 andiechan, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  2. Rozy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dated a man for over a year, we both identified as Bisexual. He made me laugh and smile and i enjoyed being around him. It was different to my other guy friends but physical stuff was not right for me. It didn't occur to me that maybe its because I wasn't sexually attracted to him. I just thought it was me and because of the head place I was in. I had also come from a unhealthy relationship with a women before so I think I was just appreciating someone that treated me half decent.

I ended up having a long conversation with him and it resulted in us splitting up but he is still like my best friend. Anyway- What i learnt from that is enjoying someones time with them and having a deeper connection is very much possible without being sexually attracted to them. I call myself Biromantic and Homosexual but for easy of explaining it to other people who wouldn't have a clue I just came out as a lesbian.

In your case try and break down the difference between romantic and sexual attraction and see if that helps!
    Messabe me if you need anything

SquareBiz likes this.
  3. pennylane1988

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was in a relationship with a guy for a year or so. We had some great times because we had a lot of things in common and liked the same stuff, but I didn't enjoyed the physical contact with him and I felt that our relationship was lacking something, I couldn't really connect with him. At first I thought that it was just because of me, that I wasn't much into sex, and also because my anxiety and intimacy issues but it wasn't really that. A few months afterwards something just clicked in me and started to think about my sexual orientation.