1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Brother fans?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BothWaysSecret, Jun 1, 2017.

1. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is there anybody that watches the reality/game show Big Brother? It seems like a lot of people I talk to have either never heard of it, or heard of it but don't watch it. Big Brother is my summer guilty pleasure!

I'm only familiar with the US edition, as that's the one that airs in my country. I know nothing about the foreign editions, but would love to know if there are any international fans nonetheless?

2. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I usually watch Big brother UK. I think the new series starts this Monday. Watching what people do on entrance night is always fun. I also like when it gets to a few days in and genuine arguements start taking place.

3. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Same here! I love the drama. I think the American version starts at the end of this month.

4. daughtry

daughtry Guest

I am obsessed with Big Brother. It's the perfect blend of competition and drama lol. I think it's a fascinating social experiment. I'm hoping they'll do Big Brother All Stars this season and bring back veterans like Mike Boogie and Dr. Will, that would be hilarious.

5. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I also watch it. I used to be really into it but now I just watch it as a way to help pass time and it's easy to watch while doing other stuff. I've only seen snippits of the UK version though and while I've seen one season of the Canadian version, it's based on the American version as opposed to the original version so it's really not that different.

6. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I sometimes watch the Filipino version of this franchise, Pinoy Big Brother. Not religiously tho. I just see it from time to time or when the challenge is interesting or when the drama is over the top LOL. I remember liking the episode where a masculine dude came out as gay, this is huge because almost all of the time Philippine media only shows the flamboyant side of the gay community. Filipinos should see the different side of the community too!

7. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    See, Will and Boogie have been on a few times already though. They've done that with a lot of houseguests (Jeff and Jordan, Janelle, Rachel, basically anyone who has come back for coach/mentor seasons). If they do another All Stars Season, bring back popular players that haven't been on numerous times already.

I've always wanted a year where they bring back each houseguest that was evicted first, so we can actually get to know them and they can actually play the game.

---------- Post added 5th Jun 2017 at 03:39 PM ----------

From what I can remember, most if not all of the gay male contestants on the American BB have been flamboyant as well. And although I do agree everyone needs to see a different side of the gay community, I've found some of the flamboyant contestants to make the best/funniest comments in the Diary Room in the past.

We were lucky though, because two seasons ago we had the first transgender contestant ever on the show. I feel like they are slowly but surely making progress towards more representation.

Then again, I don't recall any contestants being bi, or at least I don't remember any that were open about it...

#7 BothWaysSecret, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2017
  8. daughtry

daughtry Guest

BothWaysSecret, that's a cool idea about bringing back the houseguests who were evicted first.

I do think it would be cool if they had less flamboyant gay guys on BB, not because I have a problem with them but because I think the stereotypical portrayal of gay men in the media sort of distorts reality by making people think there's only one "way" to be gay. Jason from a couple seasons back was hilarious, though, I loved his DR's haha. Vanessa who came in second two seasons ago was bi, and I think her sister who was on last season was also bi.

9. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you! And I completely agree about the distortion of reality. I loved Jason! He was hysterical!

Were Vanessa and Tiffany bi? I don't think I ever remember them saying that. I'll have to go back and watch those seasons again...

#9 BothWaysSecret, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2017
  10. daughtry

daughtry Guest

Vanessa was definitely bi, I remember she had previously been married to a man before she started dating a woman. I think they got engaged at the end of the season but don't quote me on that lol. I vaguely remember Tiffany mentioning that she was bi in her intro, but I'm not sure.

11. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmm. Either way it still seems like they don't really pay as much attention to the bi folks.

12. daughtry

daughtry Guest

Yeah. I mean, there could be some people who just don't want to be open about it. Although it seems like if you're willing to have no privacy on BB, you probably wouldn't care about people knowing your sexual orientation lol.

13. Suomi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    US Version:Been watching since season three. I actually auditioned for the show before. I have a love hate relationship with it. The recent seasons are crap to me.

UK Version:First season I watched was season 6. I ran into accidentally on youtube. It's okay. To me when it was on Channel 4, it was way better. I like the celebrity versions too.

I also like Big Brother Australia, Big Brother Canada, Big Brother Germany (even though I don't understand German lol), Big Brother Pinoy, and Big Brother Africa too.

#13 Suomi, Nov 28, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  14. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Die hard BB US fan here. I love watching peoples manipulative selves unfold right before my eyes, it's super entertaining. And at times mind blowing, the things people will do to one another to get something, it's wild. Not sure how BB Celebrity is going to be, I'm not super enthused about it honestly. I feel like it's not going to be as real as just the base show and am hoping it's not overly scripted.

15. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm from the US and the last time I watched the show was several years ago when they had all those so-called straight guys cuddling, kissing and grinding up against the one flamboyant gay guy in the house. Very homoerotic. However, I've heard and seen videos of the overseas versions which displays so much more than our version.

16. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I wish they would incorporate more lgbt people into the show, they've had several over the years, but not really that much if you think about it considering how long the show has been on. And yeah, the US version of the show is definitely monetized, the free tv show on cbs doesn't last very long, and there's not too many specials. So in order to watch constant footage/live feed and bonuses you have to pay and subscribe to cbs all access. There's also Big Brother After Dark on Pop tv that is you even have the channel, as for me I unfortunately do not. Now I kind of wanna check out the foreign versions!

17. Suomi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that was a few years ago, and the flamboyant gay guy you're talking about, is Frankie Grande (who incidentally, happens to be Ariana Grande's brother).

To me, it was actually the other way around.

He was being very touchy feely with all the straight guys, and the fact for some reason they reciprocated that, they were cool about it, and kept ignoring all that shit.

BBUSA history with casting gays has been bad really. I don't like it. The UK version is way more open minded towards LGBT people.

#17 Suomi, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  18. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anyone find it kind of annoying that Big Brother seems to cast the exact same type of gay guy year after year? It's always a very flamboyant guy who usually sucks at physical competitions and becomes BFFs with the the generic blond female cast member and its played up for laughs far more than his straight counter parts.

There is nothing wrong with anyone who is like this, but after being on air for nearly 20 years you would think there would be a little more diversity in the personalities of the gay people they cast. It feels more like they are trying to cast people to fit a particular stereotype.

19. Suomi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I noticed that. Maybe I'm not complaining as much, as I am a feminine gay guy, but I have noticed that.

I think the only exceptions were possibly Will from BB5, James from BB9, and Steven from BB10. Who weren't like that.

But I agree. They not only need to cast more diverse gay men, they need to cast more gay or LGBT people period a season. It's always only one token person.

20. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like the earlier seasons of the show as lately it feels like the show is casting people to fill in the various archetypes:

You've got a few hunky heartthrobs (one of them being a southern, cowboyish type), the hot southern blond chick who at first appears to act sweeter and somewhat more ditzy than the other girls, the sassy black woman who is usually very religious, the gay sidekick to the girls who says a bunch of sassy one-liners, the token "old person" in his 40s or 50s that never quite fits in with the predominantly young cast, the adorkable nerdy guy who everyone underestimates, the tough girl, the alpha male, etc.