1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what is the biggest thing you've changed about yourself?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MadDog, Nov 28, 2017.

1. MadDog

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm trying to change something in my life. And so far it's unsuccessful!

I'm trying to study more. well not trying exactly, more like staring at my book for 5 minutes and then do absolutely nothing on the internet for the rest of my day.

I've changed a lot mentally and personalitywise. I can't believe the person i was years ago and i can't remember the person i was a week ago. And i consider that a good (fantastic) thing. Because I'm getting better and better and I'm proud of that.

But I'm struggling with new changes and it's really effecting me in a bad way. I took a break from my job to study but I'm not studying. I love money and I'm not making any. And I'm also not studying, it makes me really depressed and unhappy!

Have you struggled with changing? How did you overcome it? Or are you still struggling with changing something in your life? I'm really curious.

And also think about the good changes in your life (that you made them) personally, i love how my way of thinking has changed and how I'm maturing as a person. And i love that im more confident in myself. I have to give some credit to myself about these.

2. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was in my teens I was a textbook definition of a couch potato. I sat on my butt all day eating cookies and Cheetos and drinking coke while watching TV. And it showed as I ballooned to 230 lbs. Then reality hit when I was 18 and my dad was diagnosed with diabetes (he was very overweight and never watched his diet). Diabetes runs in both sides of my family and I realized that if I didn't change my habits I'd end up like him. So I cut out most of the junk food and I started exercising regularly. I started brisk walking for an hour three days a week, then gradually worked up to jogging four days a week. It worked as I brought my weight under control and I reduced my risk of becoming diabetic.

I think the biggest challenges was in the beginning, because I was so used to my usual routines and I had difficulty as I upped the exercise load (at first I couldn't jog for more than a minute without having trouble breathing, had to get an inhaler to help with that). Now twelve years later I exercise every day and not only do I feel healthier, but I also feel more confident in myself than I did back then.

I believe that when it comes to making positive changes you need to do it incrementally, a little at a time. Otherwise you could burn out and get discouraged when you do too much too soon and don't see results right away.

Are you doing school studies, or is it more for personal enrichment?

3. MadDog

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well i didn't go to college last year because i wanted to make money and i didn't like school anyways.. i did make money and i saved up a lot. But being away from pressure and drama kinda made me realize what i wanna be. I want to go to college next year(to study psychology) but it's kinda competitive and fucked up and the lazy stay-where-you-are side of my brain is really bugging me. Ugh i hate that all i can do is complain.

4. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I’ve accepted that I’m bisexual. Took awhile. I may be the only one who ever knows but it’s better than repressing it

5. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I got help.
    I told the woman I like I love her (albeit as a friend)

6. Cinnamon Bunny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've made a lot of changes in the past 5 years which I am greatful for. I'm still struggling though because there is a lot of different things to change in my life. I haven't made my bigger goals yet, but I'll get there :slight_smile:

I also agree that change is incremental. When I started meditating about a year ago, I did it 3 mins twice a day, each day. I increased it over time because the benefits were so good that I happliy did more. Sometimes I meditate for 20 mins, but I certainly couldn't manage that before! Sometimes though I fail to meditate at all. That has happened very recently. Yet, I remembered how I'll feel better and sleep better if I meditate. Knowing how I'll feel when I've completed the goal motives me (even if I drag my feet a bit). I also started doing a different type of mediation which is very easier, helpful, and relaxing. Still I want to get back to mindful meditations so I've started back at a small goal of 3 mins, but quickly went up to 5 mins. I still mess up or fail, but I just take another stab at it. The practice of meditation itself is not being good or perfect at it, it's all about training the mind and gently bringing it if I wander off.

So start small. Try to visualize how you'll feel when you've completed a chapter. Good, proud, accomplished, contentment? Think of how you'll feel when you turn the last page of that book, let that soak in.

Another goal I've almost met is a weight loss goal, I've lost over 50lbs. I failed to lose weight for years though. I wanted to lose the weight for health reasons, but my attempts to change were short lived and half hearted. I wasn't overweight because I was lazy or undisciplined. I was overweight because I felt safer and less anxious when I wasn't as attractive. At some point though, I not only wanted to look good but I felt like I could handle the unwanted attention better. I bring this up because sometimes it's not about strategy to meet goals, but having the ability to cope with reality when our goals are met. As humans we naturally resist change too. Our protests, our reservations, our procrastination can be an attempt to protect ourselves from the difficulties ahead.

I still struggle with a big goal, being independent through my own business. I'm not new to business or the project I have in mind, but I know what I must do and it's daunting. So instead of trying to get independent and a business done now, I'm working on emotional and mental health so I'll have the strength to tackle the hard stuff.

7. MadDog

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Looking at the last page was a good tip. I never do that. I only look things I'm not and i can't accomplish. I never think about how it's gonna feel when I've accomplished my goals.
    And also congrats on your achievements.

8. junebug99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The biggest thing that I have changed is my mental attitude. I have been anxiety and panic attack ridden for years. Never happy in any job that I had. But around three years ago I started my own business. The best thing that I could have done for myself. Since then I acheived my rank as a first degree black belt in karate. My business is a sucessful one. And as a result of all this the anxiety has calmed. I don't feel like it controls me anymore. And I am finally happy knowing who I am.

9. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Quit the job that was killing me, stopped smoking, started counseling, became physically active, lost about 10kgs, moved out from my old apartment that I hated. I didn't do everything at the same time, but I did all of it in less than a year. However, the biggest change was admitting to myself that I wanted to thoroughly change how I lived my life.

#9 pinkpanther, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  10. Suomi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I realized that sometimes I am wrong. Even though I always like to think I'm right.

11. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've begun to reverse my mental block that causes me to always feel not worthy or good enough to be around other people my age, which always leads to isolation and sadness instead of potential friendships.

With the help of my supportive and kind roommate, I'm also slowly becoming more comfortable talking to people socially, maintaining eye contact etc. by having long conversations with him every couple days.

12. Dingdang

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I take more actions and take bigger actions. I cannot reveal what these actions specifically are on this site due to the international scale of my projects, but people all over the world contact me for various reasons. It wouldn't have been possible had I not realized that all my regrets come from not taking action.

Inspired by this can-do attitude, I now plan to establish communication with my crush, who lives on the other side of this planet in China. My only associated regret would come from not being courageous enough to do anything about the current lack of communication. My inaction could change the course of my life, as can yours.

13. DarkWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I changed my entire persona. I used to have ernomous complexes about people and their behavior. I saw almost everything as an attack on me. So I'm trying to change that. Sadly I still hardly ever tell if I'm being verbally attacked unless I logicaly think about it. I also had plenty problems with fitt in society or even having small talks with other people. In fact I didn't even care. I was very introverted and sorta lost in my own world. Now I'm trying to be somehow friendly and fit in. Still I have aloooooooot things to improve. But it looks like it's getting better :slight_smile:

14. Shoei Loei

Shoei Loei Guest

I think the biggest thing that’s changed for me and my life is my career. I was in college for 9 years or so, but now I finally have a real career lol. Otherwise, things are pretty much the same for me...haven’t had much change lately, but I’m good with that; I have a hard time with change sometimes.