1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's your opinion?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by LostInDaydreams, Nov 26, 2017.

1. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll start with a bit of background. I'll try to keep it short.

I started questioning during a bad patch in my current relationship. At that time it made sense in theory, but I had no evidence of being attracted to women in reality. This changed when I crossed paths with a former colleague. I was a bit taken back, so I said hello but kept walking, even though she stopped. I've seen her a couple times since then and we've not spoken.

When I think back, I'm not sure how I didn't realise that I had a crush on her. There are some signs that she may have had a crush on me, but that's just speculation, and isn't going to help me now.

My first question; is it odd that I still think about her now, even though it's been years since we've spoken properly? As I'm still with my opposite-sex partner, I'm not in a position to meet anyone else, so when I imagine myself in a relationship with a woman, it's her that I put in that role.

My second question; if I get to a place where I'm separated from my partner (i.e. I can come out), would it be weird for me to message her and explain why I ignored her? I think it probably would be. I think I just need to accept that I've burnt that bridge and move on.

2. Lia444

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What are the chances of you bumping into each other again? Or Doing it deliberately so you can actually talk? If you haven’t spoken for years then people can change a lot in that time. You could both be different people now and you might just be clinching onto some false hope. You might be best focusing on meeting people in your present or if you need closure try and talk to her more and see where that leads. Do you know if she likes women?

3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I could bump into her. I saw her last weekend, but I don't think she saw me.

I did send her an apology message a few months after we crossed paths the second time, but she didn't reply. She works for the same company as my partner, so I can't say too much to her whilst my partner doesn't know.

It never crossed my mind that she might be bi/gay whilst we were working together, but she never had a boyfriend or showed any interest in finding one. My partner and I split up after about 6 weeks, and I met up with her the next day to talk it out. She went the cinema with my partner a day or two later and apparently spent the evening bitching about me (which I found out about a couple months later). My partner reckoned she was gay and fancied me. After I got back together with my partner, our friendship pretty much faded away, we'd talk at work but no days out together, meeting up outside work. She did come to my leaving do though, and was the last to leave, waited outside with me until my lift arrived.

4. Baby K

Baby K Guest

The main thing is you have to be happy with yourself. Is being in the relationship you are in right now with the opposite sex making you the happiest person you can be or are thoughts of being with this woman always surfacing and that is really what is going to make you ultimately happy? That is a huge question to answer. If it is you really will be happiest with this women then heck yeah I would try to get together with her and explain why you acted the way you did towards her and see what she says. It did seem like in your first interactions with her that she did have interest in you as well. Now I don't know from your post how complicated your current situation is in your relationship to get out of it. If you are married and what you are talking about is separating from that than that is much harder than if you are just in a relationship and you want to separate by breaking the relationship. Either way, you have to decide what is going to make you the happiest and pursue that. Good Luck.

5. Lia444

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess if you happen to bump into her then by all means chat and see how that goes but you can’t really come out to her until you’ve come out to your husband and most likely separated. I think you should focus on your relationship and do what you need to do with that and put the women on the back burner. Which will probably be hard as your head will probably go into overdrive with all the what ifs and maybes and the thoughts of a potential happier life.

Baby K likes this.
  6. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wasn't planning on contacting her in any way before speaking to my partner. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I was more wondering whether it would be completely weird from her perspective, even in that scenario, and if I should try to forget about it completely.

I appreciate your point about focusing on my current relationship, but it's really bothered me for some reason. I'm not sure that's what the thread was really about anyway. I don't think I can stop thinking about women altogether. That would probably require more effort than I waste thinking about them now. I'll deal with my relationship when I get I there, which I appreciate is slower than most, but I don't see why I can't think about happier alternative in the meantime. It feels like everything I post comes back to this, which is probably fair in some ways. It's frustrating, I suppose. I know I need to sort out my relationship, I'm sure I've said it myself, but I cannot force myself not think about anything else. I'm going to shut up now.

#6 LostInDaydreams, Nov 26, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it matters if everything comes back to that, talking them through can still help. I don't think it would hurt to contact her once you have spoken to your husband because you have nothing to lose, either she won't be interested in which case you haven't lost anything or she will be interested in friendship or more. I think speaking to her would be really helpful to you to clear the air about what happened previously and to move forward with a clean slate. At least you will have an answer.

8. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @silverhalo Thank you. :slight_smile: I don't know why it bothered me. I just feel a bit stuck, I guess. I'm going to try not think about it anyway. Just focus on making it to Christmas!

9. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's ok. I think it bothers you because it makes you feel bad because you normally wouldn't be that kind of person and because it kind of feels unresolved.

10. Lia444

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You dream away, I do this too haha but there isn’t anyone that I feel I’ve missed a chance on. I would say explore it after you’ve sorted your relationship out etc it’s just I didn’t want you to get your hopes up and then be disappointed.

11. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @silverhalo That's probably why it plays on my mind so much. I can't do anything about it.

@Lia444 I'm prepared to be devastated. When I think realistically she'll be straight, with someone else, never liked me anyway, etc. then I feel it a bit, but I won't really feel it until I know. Actually, I don't think it'd be as bad if she were straight, because I won't have missed anything in that scenario.

12. Lia444

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you have your answer.... go for it when the timing is right. Like silverhalo said you haven’t really got anything to loose and it sounds like you need closure otherwise it will keep coming to the front of your mind.

LostInDaydreams likes this.
  13. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Lia444 Thanks. :slight_smile: Sorry about ranty message before.

14. Lia444

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don’t worry you weren’t. Sounds like you have a couple more things to add to the move out and leave him list :wink: I’ll shut up now haha

15. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha...I don't actually have a list. Having said that I have written pros and cons lists about him before, but this was years ago.

16. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't have an on paper list but you have one in your brain

17. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think my thoughts are too jumbled to be considered a list. A mindmap might be more accurate. :slight_smile:

silverhalo likes this.
  18. GlassWalls

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Does this person have a facebook? You could always try to friend request them on that. Of course, a lot of people don't use facebook much, so don't be surprised if she doesn't except until a year later.

19. Moonsparkle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @LostInDaydreams -re your thoughts being too ‘jumbled to be considered a list’ -I think you will appreciate this as much as I do!
    FC66F868-1A53-4CA9-A26E-C294D8AFF682.png

:astonished::grimacing: :slight_smile:

#19 Moonsparkle, Nov 27, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    LostInDaydreams and Lia444 like this.
  20. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone