1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to approach a person about experimenting with them?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Niagara, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've been thinking about this for a while and I just can't find an ideal way to do this. Regardless of gender or orientation, how does a person approach such a sensitive topic?

It seems like there isn't really a good way to ask someone for some experimentation. At least with dating both people know from the start that it was a possibility, outside of that, just randomly walking up to someone and asking to do stuff with them seems like it has "bad plan with high probability of getting punched in face" written all over it.

How would you approach this situation?

Have you ever done something like this?

2. Suomi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What do you mean by experiment? Like I'm gay, but you're unsure of your sexuality, so I have to respect that. Or am I just a test subject for you, and once you get results you're satisfied with you're done? So don't get attached, don't' feel special, and don't try anything? I don't understand?

#2 Suomi, Nov 24, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  3. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I should have been more specific. I didn't mean it in a "test subject" kind of way at all.

I'm still new to this but what I meant was more like... how would I approach a person I have begun to have feelings for, and explain to them that although I don't know what my own sexuality is at the moment, either way I am still attracted to them and would like to be more intimate with them on whatever level they are comfortable with, and increase from there if they are ok with it. Even if they would only be ok with something as small as a hug at first, I would respect that and would not ask them to go any further than what they are comfortable with. Doing this would help me work through my feelings both for them and in general.

Even if it didn't work out, I would never just "be done" with them, I would still love to be around them if they are ok with it and maintain the attachment at whatever level they wanted to keep it at. They would definitely be special too, since they were the person I trusted enough to approach about this, and regardless of anything else I would always appreciate them listening to the request even if they said no.

Hopefully that explains it in a better way?

#3 Niagara, Nov 24, 2017
  4. Suomi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe I'm being too frank, but in my perspective, If you identify as male, and are dating/having sexual relations with another man, then you're gay/bi. Point blank. I'm sorry. There is no questioning or curious, or anything like that.

Now if you're having identify issues and struggling, that's different. So maybe you are still questioning yourself, and in that instance, this is complicated.

But if you're asking other men out for interpersonal relationships, at that point you are either gay/bi.

#4 Suomi, Nov 24, 2017
  5. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I am definitely male, but I have never dated or had sexual relations with another man (or anyone, actually).

I never really desired any relationships until recently, but now that I do want that I've noticed my attraction is significantly stronger towards men than women.

I agree with you that I am most likely Bi just for wanting to try a relationship with another guy at all, I just wasn't sure if I can consider myself that without ever having actually done something with another guy. Hence the experimentation stuff, that is the only way I can really prove to myself whether I am Bi, or if this is just a phase of teenage confusion.

You're not being too frank at all, I actually really appreciate the honesty and the responses.

6. Suomi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's an interesting point to make.

I haven't had relationships with men or women in my life. I'm 27 and a virgin. Never had a boyfriend. I'm still very much gay.

My point is, if I had the opportunity to date a guy or have a boyfriend, I would take it. As I don't want a boyfriend.

But some people will say, how do I know I'm gay if I never been in a relationship with a man, and to that I can say they are not me, they aren't in my body so.

I see. Well it's your body. If you're not comfortable doing something, don't do it. If you're happy with the way you go about things, do it then.

I do see your original point though.