1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College apps as a closeted genderqueer/nonbinary?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by kayaz, Nov 23, 2017.

1. kayaz

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    US-centric (like the common app). I really want to come out in college, but i feel like I'm lying if I say that I'm cis-het suzie. Has anyone else navigated this process? If so how was the outcome?

2. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If you are talking about which gender to mark on college applications, mark whichever you were born with. That is not something to be messed with, it's considered a legal document and marking something different than your birth gender can be considered fraud in the hands of a lawyer if you ever end up getting a benefit like a scholarship or admittance preference because of it.

If you want to come out in college, that's completely fine and you can do that, but which gender you pick on the application will not affect it one way or another. It is better to just be safe and pick the option that does not carry the risk of getting stuck in a legal situation later on.

3. kayaz

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @Niagara

I mean like where it says "feel free to tell us more about you gender identity in this box" on the common app.

I put female under sex (which is my GDAB). I even said in the additional section that I'm not out yet.

Would that still cause problems?

Thanks for responding

~Kayden

4. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Oh, in that case it should not put you in any legal issues as long as you marked the sex as female. Since they specifically ask about gender identity, they will not have a problem with it whatever you write there, otherwise they would not have left such an open ended and sensitive topic for people to respond to.

It is ok to write whatever you feel in that box. I think you should just be honest and say it like you wrote here, that you are not out yet and would like to come out during college, but need more time to process your feelings before making a final decision on how you would like to identify and introduce yourself to people when you come out one day.

I'm a college freshman by the way, so if you have any other questions about college stuff in general I'm happy to help if I can :slight_smile:

5. Dingdang

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Common App has a field for additional information about gender, so you can mention there whatever you feel necessary. I don't know about the other application websites.

6. SomecallhimTim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For other application websites they will either have an option that says you prefer not to answer or you will have to pick male or female, and you should always put your birth sex. If you want to be out a good way to do that is to send an email to student services or directly to your teachers asking for them to use different pronouns then what's written in your file.