1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating..?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Cinnamon Bunny, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Cinnamon Bunny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I keep going back and forth on the dating thing.

I want to date, but at the same time I feel like my life is not together enough for a serious relationship. I don't feel think I have much to give a partner right now. So I think about casual dating. To be able to be flirty and affectionate without getting too serious, but I'm not the casual sex type of person. It seems like at my age, early 30s, people in my age range are either wanting a serious relationship or sex.

At the moment I would really like to be able to cuddle with someone. I want all the silly romantic fluff, but I'd settle for cuddling. Am I better off just looking for an affectionate friend and asking them? Or would it get too awkward or too likely to stir up feelings? Would you regularly cuddle with a friend? Should I give girls on dating sites a chance, become their friend, and see if they'd want a cuddly flirty relationship?

Baby K and Rana like this.
  2. Really

Cinnamon Bunny likes this.
  3. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You know, I've been thinking too about why there isn't that category of relationship? Maybe people think of it as just a way station on the way to sex and/or love. Read the news lately and you would think that no man could "tread water" like that, he would have to zoom all in. I did have a few sleep/snuggle relationships in the past, but then I started to get too serious. And when you're too serious.. well I guess I just embodied my second sentence above. Hmm, maybe I could be a cuddlist!

4. Rana

Rana Guest

Hi Cinnamon,
    You know, I feel exactly the same way, and I did many months ago when I met someone and really only wanted friendship but somehow, it turned into a relationship because our feelings changed, and I think we both craved a higher level of physical and emotional intimacy. We broke up about 2.5 months ago, and I swear, I'm sitting here thinking "wait, I didn't even think I was ready for a relationship...how did all that even happen?" Like you, I really do feel I only want good friends and a strong LGBTQ community around me right now, but the thing about life is, things happen unexpectedly. So, what's the solution? I say, just go about your life, meet friends, have fun, and don't think about having or not having a relationship. There are plenty of places, meetups, community centers, etc. where you can meet friends. Yes, cuddling with someone is nice too...and sometimes a friendship becomes more. If it does, and if that makes you happy at that time, just go with the flow. Happiness can be found in so many ways. I wish that for all of us. ♥

Cinnamon Bunny and PixieDust1 like this.
  5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe you should give dating a go, with the right person who knows what you might be ready for.

6. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think some of us find it almost impossible to keep things light and carefree. I know I fall into that category. My intention was to go on a few dates and feel good. I have ended up falling for her...

7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can anyone keep things light if they actually like someone?

Is falling for her such a bad thing?

Peterpangirl and Cinnamon Bunny like this.
  8. Cinnamon Bunny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've actually looked into that before haha. Unfortunately I dont have the funds for it and employees of the service I looked into don't have much choice in who they cuddle (the majority of customers are older men, not my cup of tea!). Free services that focus exclusively on finding a cuddle partner are pretty barren or not active (it's not really popular idea I suppose).

9. Cinnamon Bunny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Judging by the stories here, perhaps I've been too naive about cuddling. Maybe it can work if it's two straight girls or something, but not when attraction is possible. Being bi, I'm kind of screwed too.

And thank you guys, I think it is a good attitude to just live life and let things happen naturally. At the same time, things did not go well when I unknowingly fell for my best friend. I was in a bad place emotionally and she was no where near ready for even a casual romantic relationship. Ended up going through a minefield when I wasn't strong enough to handle it. I don't really want that to happen again. Then again, if I had fallen for the "right" person (one who was open to love) maybe it would have been fine.

dreamingfreely likes this.
  10. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But you fell for your best friend without actively trying so that was probably going to happen anyway. It sucks she wasn't ready for anything but like you say she wasn't the right person.

11. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What makes you feel that you are totally screwed if you are "bi". My online dating profile stated this, along with the facts about having kids and being separated... amazingly, some people still contacted me - and I ended up going for someone in the same situation....we both felt less daunted by each other as late in lifers, and also felt we could relate to each others' situations. I think honesty is key...those who can't accept you as you are....well screw 'em (metaphorically speaking of course!).

#11 Peterpangirl, Nov 23, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    Lia444 and silverhalo like this.
  12. Cinnamon Bunny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I was saying in the context of cuddling, since I'm bi, I have the possibility to feel attracted to anyone. Therefore, I cannot cuddle with anyone without possible attraction. This is why I'm screwed. Not screwed in dating, just screwed with assuming I can cuddle whoever without possible consequence.

13. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Although I'm sure you're not attracted to just anyone.......Being bi doesn't mean fancying everyone, anymore than being gay means fancying all your friends. I think that society oversexualises lgbt people. We're no more sexual than heterosexual people and just want to love and be appreciated back, like anyone, both sexual love and friendship love too.

That being said do you think that for you personally attraction is frequently rooted in and begins with emotional connection and that THAT very often triggers the physical attraction???

#13 Peterpangirl, Nov 24, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  14. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I keep coming back to this topic and agreeing with it all over again. If people could trust each other with boundaries (a big if!) then cuddle-relationships would fill a need. I mean, I can't cuddle myself, but I can, um, well you know.

And then I also think that snuggling with Cinnamon Bunny could be a pretty sticky affair. Even for an octopus...

15. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's very true. Cuddles are the best.

16. Cinnamon Bunny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    True, I don't fancy everyone. I guess part of my issues is that I'm still really new to so much. I still don't fully understand myself or my sexuality. I don't have a great deal of experience to know how I handle certain situations. So I guess it's confusing still. Even right now I'm mulling over some interactions and feelings I've had the last few months. Pondering causation.

To answer your question, yes, that would definitely describe me. Excluding erotic content, I can feel attraction (usually mild and infrequent) to strangers or people I don't know well, so it could begin there? However, attraction for me lies in emotional connection, physical attraction comes after. I think sometimes though physical touch can make me more aware of my feelings?

Peterpangirl likes this.
  17. Cinnamon Bunny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    LMAO! :grin:

You're right, and cuddles with an octopus is too tentalizing for Cinnamon Bunnies! I'd just get caught in the undertoe of emotions!

beenthrdonetht likes this.
  18. Cinnamon Bunny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I also may have contradicted myself. *sigh*

19. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That has got to set a record for clever replies. LOL (several times!). As Homer Simpson said (about the Krispy Kreme commercial) "It works on so many levels."

20. Baby K

Baby K Guest

@Cinnamon Bunny I liked your original post and I think it is important to meet and develop a friendship first while casually dating before getting involved in the more heavier things. Cuddling on the couch while watching a movie as a date would be a wonderful idea. I think these sort of dates and developing of friendship is what leads to a more meaningful relationship for the long run. I hope you can find what you are looking for.