1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holiday Loneliness

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Niagara, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've never been a very emotional person, and have just not allowed myself to feel any emotion most of my life. Bad childhood etc. (insert generic terrible parents and having no friends background here).

Well, this year for whatever reason I've become pretty emotional... and emotions suck. They really do. Things that didn't bother me before, like holidays, are now painful. This is the first significant time I've had to deal with this type of thing.

In two hours, it will be Thanksgiving here in the United States, which is supposed to be a time for families to get together and enjoy themselves. For me, it just reminds me that I essentially have no family, as one side disowned me years ago and the other side never cared enough to know me in the first place. That realization hurts a lot more than I thought it would.

My part of the country is pretty traditional with big families and taking the holidays seriously... so everywhere I look people are with their families, and it's like a thousand needles stabbing me in the heart reminding me that I am alone, and probably always will be.

I watched my roommate leave to be with his family earlier, and now I'm just sitting here in this empty apartment feeling terrible.

What are your experiences with holidays?

2. Sealgirl19

Right now I'm cooking for myself and making the best of it. I don't get along too well with my family to actively visit and my friends already have plans so it's no big deal to me.

I felt this way last year and the year before but I've just growing to be comfortable being alone. I don't have to worry about family judging me, old trauma being brought up, or just being in an environment I don't want to be in.

3. Sundara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Dear Niagara,
    I feel the same way with you. I am here with you. I am in Beantown, even though I am not celebrate Thanks giving but I have eaten turkey last night. My friend gave me small size of turkey barbacue. Thanks God, this is last Thank giving in US.
    When I was young, I felt the same with you. Every year I celebrate Eid Mubarak. In some point, sometimes I felt lonely, my family away in other town and I live alone. There was no choice because all my friends celebrate Eid Mubarak and I felt boredom in life.
    What I did was I went to a beautiful place and I enjoyed my time there because I love nature.

Are you close to Niagara Falls? I dream to visit Niagara Falls before I leave US after completing my study, this December.

4. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    No, but I did visit Niagara Falls a few months ago. I had a souvenir from there on my desk when I made this account and it seemed like a decent name.

It really is a wonderful place, and definitely worth the visit. I highly recommend going on the boat tour that brings you right up close to the waterfall as well.