1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just a teenager that needs advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ertad, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Ertad

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sorry for the boring title, I'm not a very creative person.

So seeing as this is my first post, maybe last, I don't know yet, I might as well introduce myself. I'm a 14 year old (turning 15 in a few weeks) guy who lives in the Deep South. Growing up in Middle Tennessee, in a conservative, religious family, the concept of being gay never occurred to me. I always was taught that it was just men and women. So as I entered middle school, had the talk, and other kids started joking about it, I learned what gay meant. I was only 11 or so, so I didn't understand it. I would join in with my friends, joking about gay people and the usual stuff middle schoolers do. As 8th grade started, I noticed everybody else dating and stuff, and there I was, all alone. So I asked myself why I'd never thought to look for a girlfriend. No good answer came to my head, except I noticed that I just didn't feel attracted. I guess I just figured that it would happen later. I kept waiting and it never happened. Fast forward to the second semester and I started noticing myself being attracted to other guys. But my whole life I'd been taught that that is wrong. People like that burn in hell. So I tried to mask it up, and I denied to myself that it was happening. Over the Summer, going into High School, I came to the conclusion that I'm clearly gay. But I'm still 100% in the closet, and this is my first time acknowledging to any other person that I'm gay, and I'm not gonna lie that it makes me nervous. So my question, which is probably a very often asked one, is how to come out to my friends and family.
    So I'll start with my family. Like I already said, my family is very religious and conservative. My mom always talks down about gay people, even though she claims she's not biased. I used to agree with her, but as of lately, I've just sat in silence when she makes remarks about gay people. She doesn't outright say "I hate gays" but it's the smaller things, like when she sees a gay actor on a tv show and says "Why does he/she have to be gay?" My dad is not like that as much, but still has his moments. My whole life I've attended church. I stopped this year because I realized I don't feel happy or accepted there. And they say that gay people go to hell. My church doesn't say that outright just because of the whole LGBT rights movement. They don't want to comment off as prejudice. But it says it in the Bible that homosexuality is a sin
    And while I do believe in god, I don't believe that god would make his children like that if he wished for them to burn in hell. So while I believe in god, I can't consider myself a Christian. So other problems come in with the whole "children" part. I am the only male in my generation with my last name. So it is my "responsibility" to have children and continue our last name. According to my cousins, at least. Now I know that that's total bull crap, but I still am concerned about that. On top of that, my mom always talks about having grandkids and how it'll be great when I 100% do have them. I know there's always adoption, but I just feel like it would t be the same. So I don't know how I come out to my religious family because I feel like they'll be disappointed. Almost like it's my responsibility to be straight, and i know it's not. But I love my parents and it would take all the happiness out of me to see them disappointed in me.
    On the other hand there's school. So I know that being gay has a lot of stereotypes. But I feel like I don't fit any of them. I don't have a high pitched voice, I hate Starbucks, I don't wear makeup, I play sports (Drumline/Cross Country) and I'm conservative and somewhat religious. So my peers would never guess that I'm gay. Aside from the fact that I've never dated anyone. But it's a situation similar to what I have with my parents. It's high school. Gay people get bullied, harassed and made fun of my straight people. I would know because my friends do it. And I feel guilty of not standing up for them. But it's like a hierarchy of popularity, and gay people tend to be close to the bottom, and I don't know how I feel about that. It's cruel when I really stop and put it into perspective. I don't get why people can't just respect each other for who they are. Even if I was to come out which I hope to do by the end of high school, I don't know how I would. Do I walk in the school in a rainbow shirt and a banner saying I'm gay, or do I just wait till college? I seriously don't know. The other day in my health class, people were asking "Is it a choice to be gay?" obviously trying to be funny. The gym coach responded calling homosexuality a mental disorder. I highly doubt that, but even if it is, that doesn't change the fact that it's a real thing, even though some people might refuse to believe it exists.
    I know I was kind of everywhere with what I had to say, but any advice would helpful..:relaxed: Maybe answer some of the many questions I had in that essay I just wrote.. or it could be something else. Like drumline, I always like to talk about that. Whatever. If anyone actually took the time to read all that, thanks. I appreciate it.

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ertad....Wow dude, I can see that you've really got a lot on your mind. You made a good choice when you posted here on empty closets. There are a lot of people here who will offer their help and encouragement. First...I wouldn't get in a big hurry to come out to your parents. I'm sure that they love you, but a gay son in the area where you live, in a conservative Christian household is going to be a challenge. It would be much better to wait while you learn more and work out ways to approach your parents. You really don't want to come out too soon and then face all kinds of problems because your parents/school see being gay as something that needs to be "fixed". You don't need to be fixed because you are not broken! I know waiting can be tough, but coming out and facing people who either don't believe you or think that you need to be "straightened out" is much, much worse. For now I would like to suggest that you share your questions and concerns with us here on EC. We will do our best to answer your questions and help you learn a lot about what it means to be gay. I know that it took me quite a while to really begin to understand myself after I accepted that I was gay. I had a lot of questions and people here on EC helped me a lot. You have access to either a computer or a smart phone...I would caution you to be careful not to leave anything on those devices that could give away anything about this topic! I think that you will have a much better idea of what to do and when to do it after you have spent some time posting here and getting replies. As far as church/religion goes....I go to church, and yes, I am gay. It took me quite a while to work through those two things and understand how God could make me gay and then say in the Bible that gays are sinful and will go to hell. What did I learn? I learned that, in spite of what we have been told, the Bible DOES NOT condemn homosexuality as we know it today. It is a long explanation....but we have been told the wrong thing for a long time. The Bible condemns sex used as idol worship in temples...I'm thinking that you have not done that!! LOL More on that if you want, let me know. However, if you where to tell your parents that, you would probably not get a good reaction. That's part of the reason that I suggest that you delay coming out for right now. When you understand more about yourself and have a better understanding of how parents react, you will be able to work out a plan that will make you look much more mature. In that case they are much more likely to listen and take you seriously. Please feel free to ask us anything at all that you are uncertain about....we will do our best to answer and help. I will be looking for your posts. Hang in there...we are here for you! .....David

3. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Ertad....I forgot to mention....I am a retired Band Director! I taught drumline for a long time and had a total blast doing it. It's very cool that you are in drumline!! ....David

4. Markieg64

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Ertad
    That' some good advice there from Quebec
    Just take you time coming to terms with who you are first . There is now rush to come out so just take your time talk to people on ec we have all been there and still going through it I have not come put to anybody yet

Good luck

5. Ertad

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for the support, guys. I noticed you mentioned to hide this stuff; my parents don't usually check my iPad, which is what I wrote this on late last night because I couldn't stop thinking about it. And I usually go incognito anyway, so I think I'm good there.
    I'll make sure to come here when I have any questions, because I still have a lot.
    Happy Thanksgiving by the way!

6. Andrew02

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi! I'm 15 too! I know how you feel tbh but I was luckier because my mom never cared about my sexuality :bow:
    I think you should wait a little bit honestly and if you think you are ready you can talk with someone you trust and loves you no matter what :point_up:

7. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Ertad....So glad that you read the posts! I'm not surprised that you have a lot of questions...I sure did when I first came out. Don't hesitate to post your questions here, we will all pitch in to give you a hand, to help you understand what it means to be LGBT. I really do think that it's important to take your time...learn more about who you really are and develop a plan on how to educate your parents. Coming out to them will be a lot easier if some of their wrong assumptions can be worked out before you "drop the bomb" on them! I know that it can be tough on you and your parents when long held assumptions and even their plans for your life are suddenly changed. My situation is the reverse of yours, but it was still really tough. In stead of you coming out to your parents, I was the parent coming out to my son. My son is the pastor of a conservative church! I've got to tell you, that was really difficult. I took some time to lay a little groundwork before I came out to him. I sort of prepared the way by having discussions around the topic of LGBT. When I did come out to him, he had already been re-examining his thoughts on LGBT...it really did help when I dropped the bomb! Thinking of you...don't forget to stay in touch with us....we do care and want to help!! ....David

8. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People have given you really good advice so far, so I'm going to address what you said about not feeling like a christian due to being gay. Quebec touched on this topic a little bit, but there is one thing I would like to mention. Regardless of whether the Bible actually condemns homosexuality or not, even Thomas Jefferson believed that it had "gems of wisdom" alongside the "dung" of ancient political agendas. Just some food for thought. Good luck on your journey, wherever it takes you.
    -Christine

9. holtzysorry

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey man!

I totally understand your situation and I remember being 15 and feeling different. Dude, it happened I am still coming to terms with being gay and I would say don't come out now. I didn't fully come out to some friends until I was 21-22ish and they were cool with it. It sounds like your parents may not be as accepting and that's okay! You are okay and it is fine not to come out for a while, it's a great time to learn about yourself and understand who you are. Take time out to learn and read about things and journal! It really does wonders for self-reflection and in two or three years you'll look back and read what you were thinking about and see it wasn't that bad. Hindsight really is 20/20 but for now enjoy the crazy ride of high school and try to be yourself (as much as you can without- well- without the parents reacting badly) and know that you have a community here on ec.