1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it a good idea to date someone from a support group?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Percy15, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Percy15

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've recently started going to an LGBTQ+ support group in my area that I've absolutely loved so far! It's been a really great experience and I'm happy that my friends encouraged me to go.
    The question is regarding a guy in the group. He also started coming pretty recently and we're about the same age and get along really well. I've started to develop feelings for him, but at this point, they're not intense enough that I couldn't get rid of them if the relationship was a really bad idea.
    Having been in a lot of therapy, I know that it is 100% never a good idea to date someone from a therapy group because that can get fucked up quickly. The one couple I knew who met in group therapy ended up having an explosive breakup of nuclear proportion and they both ended up in hospitals. Though they're the only ones I've known, I've heard similar stories from other people.
    Is dating someone from a support group a bad idea for the same reasons? I feel like it could work because support groups aren't group therapy, and as of right now, both of us have been doing really well mental health- wise. A couple other people in the group are dating and met each other at the group.
    Does anyone have experience with dating in LGBTQ+ support groups?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some gay support groups, it seems like everybody has slept with everybody. And others have good boundaries and that doesn't hPpen (or if it does the members leave the group.)

I'd talk one on one with the group leader or just ask the group, since each one is different. I'd also give some thought to what's more important: this guy or the support group.

It might be really awkward if it doesn't work out and you are both going to group and talking about support stuff each week.