1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decisions

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Nov 21, 2017.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    S made a decision. He laid out his littlest son's birthday plates, party bags, pumpkins and napkins, looked right at it, looked right at his oldest son's photo, wee 4 and 5 year old boys, and took his own life. It's incomprehensible, it's tragic, it's wrong, it's cruel, it's horrifying. But it's not my fault.

C made a decision. He met a little girl, a little girl whose world had just changed, whose parents had divorced, who had just moved house away from all of her friends, whose big sisters had moved away, he built a relationship with her, tried to sever her strong, wonderful bond with her big brother, the person that made her feel the most safe. He chose to prey on her vulnerability, violate her, take away her childhood. I didn't fight, I didn't yell, I kept the secret, every time. But that doesn't make me the monster.

I made a decision, at the age of 10, 12, 25, 22, 28.... to hide all the things I felt, all the human, real, raw, beautiful, natural feelings I had. Desire, butterflies, longing, love. That was my big secret and my big shame. I felt weird and wrong and broken.

But I'm not. C did not break me, damage me. I did not take away S's life, not now and not when I entered H's life. When I met my partner, I felt things, so many beautiful things that I'd never let myself feel before. I felt alive, I felt full and open, powerful desire, a strong pull, to her soul, her body. She chose me. She chose happiness and love and honesty. I just wanted to live and love fully, for once in my life. I have a right to make that choice.

#1 baristajedi, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  2. Lia444

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aww I just want to give you a massive hug. You have nothing to be shameful about, C is the monster and you are fighting for who you are and you have the right to love and be who you are. Have you ever told anyone about C? Maybe getting that off your chest might help close the door on it? No one should have to go through anything like that and I can’t imagine how hard it was for you growing up. Hugs.

baristajedi likes this.
  3. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Isn't it sad that it's so easy to torture ourselves by instinctively taking responsibility for events that were completely beyond our control? As the holiday season barrels towards us like a freight train, my ex has begun the manipulation and mind games that I used to fall for, and I am realizing more and more how she played that sense of responsibility to get me to distance myself from my family and focus all my energy on her. Her happiness seemed like my responsibility, even though it was an unattainable goal because, like Johnny Rocco in Key Largo, what she really wanted was, simply, more.

I certainly was well programmed. My mother had some definite problems when I was young and I learned far too early to accept dramatic mood swings and unexpected fits of anger and normal; my father was bitter and unhappy and isolated, and gave me the "responsibility" of listening to his misery every time we were alone. Every bad thing that happened in our family somehow became my fault and my responsibility to clean up, so of course when I wanted to create a new family of my own, I didn't have the knowledge to stop myself from doing it all over again. And along the way I buried any indication that there was anything about me that would make anyone uncomfortable or draw attention to myself, because when you are responsible for everyone else, you lose a big chunk of yourself along the way.

I still struggle sometimes with thinking that things are my fault, but I am learning. My ex used to tell me tearfully that she would miss my extended family if we split. Now that it's obvious that she is still welcome, she suddenly has to work every Thanksgiving and can't make the festivities until late, so she can make a grand entrance and complain about the best food being gone or how much her feet hurt from waitressing all day. Two years ago I would have sat there and felt scolded and miserable, and blamed myself for her misery. I'm not playing the game this year. Like you, I have found someone who doesn't try to make his happiness my responsibility, or his misery my fault, and I am not going to waste that happiness by allowing myself to be made "responsible" for other peoples' happiness or approval. I am making the choice to be in charge of my own feelings, and not waste my energy on things that I can't really change anyhow. And to accept a part of me that I set aside long ago, because it seemed as though I had to lose my grip on myself so I could hold everyone together. No more.

4. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey just wanted to drop in and say I'm so sorry for all that you've gone through recently. This post is so true and I'm glad you realized that you DO have a right to make that choice, and that other's actions are NOT your fault.

baristajedi likes this.
  5. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    oh i so loved reading this, my heart actually burst with pride for you. you do have the right, you are a strong, vibrant, loving person. if i could give you a real hug right now, i would soo much. im so very happy for you sweetie.

baristajedi likes this.
  6. SeulgiBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm too sorry, i hope that you can find happiness someday; after all you need a long rain for see a really cute rainbow :slight_smile:

baristajedi likes this.
  7. Cinnamon Bunny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for sharing your story. You are right, none of those things were your fault or a reflection of you. Still this a a tough time. Please take good care of yourself.

baristajedi likes this.