1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to donate hair tomorrow

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Spot, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I'm graduating high school tomorrow. It's a very conservative Christian school and we were never allowed to have like alternative styles or haircuts. My friends and I were discussing all the hair colors and body mods we wanted when we graduate and it was super exciting. I wanted my head half-shaved but I've decided that I want it cut short, I'm going to use a picture of Ruby Rose for reference. And I decided on that ultimately because I've wanted short hair for a long long time and I talked about getting it after graduation for years so I might as well. I like the half-shaved idea but kept thinking; "Why don't I just cut the whole thing short then?" So it just all fits together. Plus, I just feel like doing something somewhat impulsive. I mean, I'm anxious about getting it cut and how it'll look but I just want to do it since I feel so free due to graduating :grin: And I mean, it grows back. Even if I don't like it, it'll be okay.

Okay so, I just wanted to cut it for the hell of it...I don't like having long hair (sensory issues) and I just wanted to do something different but then I felt bad about just throwing that much hair away. It felt really wasteful. So I wanted to donate it and I was looking for charity websites so I could send it away. I actually wanted to donate my hair for a long time but I never looked into it before. And there were no charities in Australia, my home country, that accepted hair under 14" (I think). My hair is 7" so I couldn't do that but there's a charity in the UK that accepts international donations and hair from 7"-12".

The only problem is, I've had a long time to think about this but my mom hasn't. I've brought it up to her before but never seriously, I guess. And it's Thursday night now, I graduate Friday and I'm allowed to leave school at 10:30am after the ceremony so I wanted to ask my mom if she could book a haircut appointment for after that. I'm just really afraid of what she'll say. She's not keen on me cutting my hair, she doesn't think it'll look good but my friends all agree it suits me so and I'm more inclined to trust them :laughing: I don't know if I'll mention the donation thing until I'm there because I want to see if the hairdresser is able to measure it (if I bring a ruler lol), it's 7" by my measurements but I want to see if it's the same by other people's measurements.

So...how do I go about convincing her to take me to the hairdresser (and donate the hair)? I feel like this should be the type of decision I should make for myself but she's very overprotective :rolling_eyes:

2. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm actually thinking that I should tell her about my plans today and show her the form
    I need to fill out but leave the appointment until another day so she has time to process it

3. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's awesome that you want to donate your hair. Very nice of you :slight_smile:
    Your plan sounds good. And congrats on graduating! I hope you find some freedom so you can do all the changes you were planning (body modifications, etc.). Good luck with convincing your mom about the cut. I hope she's fine with it. Most importantly: have fun!

4. GalenW

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think cutting your hair is a wonderful thing. Of course I shave my head so I might be a little too biased at what you are doing. Good luck with the new you <smile>