1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need to help my boyfriend but I don't know what to do or if I'm just over reacting

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Raydar0110, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Raydar0110

My boyfriend messaged me last night. He said that his parents said he doesn't see them enough and that they threatened him with not letting him go to university (destroying his life goals). I have heard them compliment him once in the 5 months we have been together and the rest of the time they just insult him, make fun of him and tell him he doesn't do anything and that he is lazy. He is possibly the best son they could ask for. He does more than most arround the house, he looks after his little sister at an hour's notice and changes his plans so that his parents can go and get drunk ( they have 3 kids they should spend time with them instead of getting pissed).

I want to save him from his parents because they really aren't helping with his anxiety and they are just mean to him. I don't know if this is abuse but I feel like it is. He always makes excuses for his parents and is afraid to stand up to them whereas I want to go and slap them every time I see them because of how they act.

What can I do. I love him more than anything and just want him to be happy but I can't protect him 24/7 like I want to.

Any advice would be great.

2. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It does sound pretty abusive to me. It's hard to give council without really knowing what is going on but I think you could benefit if your boy friend (and you if he feels comfortable) went to talk to a councilor or therapist who could help you assess the situation.

3. Raydar0110

Thank you. And your right, without knowing the situation it's hard to judge. He plays the constant insults off as jokes and says that it just how his family is. I worry about his insecurities and how his parents are making it worse. I think he is afraid of them. We are both 17 but I don't drink. We were round his families and I asked him if he wanted anything to drink (as in alcohol) he said he didn't have anything to drink but I said that there was beer outside that his whole family were drinking. When I suggested he asked for one he practically begged me not to say anything. It was like he was afraid of his family which isn't healthy in my opinion. I did asked and he was allowed some after them "jokingly" shouting at him.

This is the main thing that I worry about. It's like his parents have made him afraid to ask for help or for anything. They are not the richest but they literally give him no help. He has to pay for most of his meals himself both at college and at home when I stay round because he has to ask every time he wants to make something if it's ok for him to do so and to use that specific ingredient then he gets shouted at if he doesn't ask.

How do I undo this instilled fear and make him have a more healthy attitude to getting help and other people? I want to protect him but I can't do that when I'm an hour away (we both go to the same college/high school, we live in England so education may be different)

Any further advice would be great, thanks.

4. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, that surely sounds unhealthy. If his family's remarks are having a negative impact on him then there is clearly a problem no matter how "ordinary" that is in his family. If anything that just says that the abuse has been normalized and he does not even recogonize it as such.

Why did you pressurize him to drink, especially if you don't drink yourself? Does he normally want to drink beer?

You could get resources from your college's student resource center. Chances are that there might even be psychologists available for students to help with their issues. What made me realize my family's dysfunction was to see that the stuff that I had to go through as a child was not normal. That made me realize how it had impacted me negatively. If you think it's normal you don't think there is anything wrong with that.

5. Raydar0110

I understand what you mean about it being normalised and that is one of my main concerns, I usually try to give him whatever I can and make his life the best that I can when I am with him.

As for drinking, he does usually drink and did want to but just didn't want to ask. Me doing that was in impulsive way of me showing him that it is ok to ask for things. He was going to get a small bottle of vodka and just have it with some coke but he didn't end up getting it.

He has been to counselling before and it helped him significantly with his anxiety but he also knows that some of what his family does isnt normal but makes excuses, like that fact they don't have much money (I get really pissed of that they get drunk every weekend yet make him buy his own food". I had many physical problems as a child so my parents are allot more grateful than most, i'm not sure if i'm used to my family putting 100% but I think that should be the norm.

I come off as insulting when I talk to him about it but I get so worked up. I don't know how to protect him and make his life better other than when i'm with him. I think suggesting counselling would cause a massive argument between us as he gets really protective over his parents

Am I being crazy or are my feeling valid?

6. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I understand you feel protective but here is the thing. You seem to be adopting role of a parent which you are not. You can suggest and support but ultimately you cannot decide or protect him from the world. It is not your job - even if you wanted so - to protect him.

My advice is that try to have a genuine discussion with him about his situation. This conversation may or may not include your concerns about his parents. I bet he has issues other than his parents which he might be willing to discuss with a psychologist. Those issue might even directly be linked to his family. The point of therapy is not convince him his parents are abusive but to help him cope with issues in his life including but not limited to his parents.

So if you feel that talking him about his family would result in backslash try to talk about other issues such as anxiety and depression as starting points and if you want you could tell him that he could also talk about his parents to the therapist and see if they agree with him or you.