1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you know if you're not wanted in a group?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by gravechild, Nov 19, 2017.

1. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, there's an LGBT group here I've been involved in for three or so years. I hadn't been too involved, lately, due to personal issues, but have noticed people being stand-offish the last few times I've gone. When it's time to break up and people start forming groups, I'm left alone. Before, at least a few people would invite me or come up to start a conversation. One person asked, "Who invited you?" and didn't do the usual hug like before.

I'm unsure whether it's lack of confidence/anxiety that's putting messages in my head, or if I truly have someone working against me. In the past, I've had disagreements with members behind the scenes, and wonder if that plays any part? The leader of our group has also said he feels he does more work to get people involved, and feels underappreciated. He's tried to make me feel guilty for not being as involved as he is, in the past. He's also the one who said, "People want to get to know you, if you'd give them the chance."

There's an event coming up (TDOR, if you haven't guessed), and I'm unsure if it would be worth it. Obviously, its kind of a huge thing, but if I'm going to leave feeling worse than I did before going, that's less incentive. A part of me is saying, "Forget the group; do it because it's something you care about." Still, that's one part of the bigger picture. I'm unsure of where I stand.

Those with thoughts or experience, any help would be welcomed. Thanks!

2. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope today went ok for you gravechild. I agree with "do it because it's something you care about." EC is here for you if you end up feeling worse about the group, but only you can decide how you want to be engaged in important events such as TDOR. Let us know what you decided.

3. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I didn't go, but that has more to do with having woken up early for a doctor's appointment, and feeling too drained after.

Yeah, they're doing some stuff for Thanksgiving and Christmas, but meh.