1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay married man, but I love her.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by quebec, Nov 18, 2017.

1. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is not a rant or a complaint...nor am I really asking for help...although comments and suggestions are always welcome! This is an attempt on my part to share some realizations that have come to me recently. I want to let my empty closets family know about these thoughts, as they have changed my outlook so very much. I know that some of you are in the same place that I am in....gay and married.

Ever since I came out to myself and here on empty closets, as gay in Dec. 2014, I have been trying to understand my relationship with my wife. We have been married for 39 years, have raised three sons and now have four grandchildren. I came out to her in March 2016. We have built a life together and do love each other so we are staying together. There is a lot more to that simple statement, but that’s for another post. My question lies in what that word “love” means in this context. There is no question that I would be devastated if something bad happened to her. We depend on each other a great deal and over the years we have worked out a “division of labor” that defines what our responsibilities are. We get along very well and have actually never even had an argument…really! I had always wanted a family and knew that I could not be gay and married (1970’s). Before I meet her I had already decided that I could choose to be straight, not understanding at all that I was setting myself up for many years of turmoil and frustration. I can say that we have had a good marriage even though our sex-life has been lacking. At first I was intimate with her because I knew that was what was expected. It was difficult, but I chalked that up to inexperience (with a woman). Then the reason was to have children. However, by the time our last child was born, eight years into the marriage, it was becoming a progressively daunting task that I did not want to do. Not long after this it became so bad that I sometimes got physically ill facing the prospect of going to bed. When we were intimate…afterwards…I always had to go to the bathroom and wash myself off, usually gagging. All of this is on me, absolutely no fault of my sweet wife. How she never figured out that I was gay astonishes me. (she really did not know until I came out to her, hell, I hadn’t admitted it to myself at that time). But I love her!

This week things became a lot clearer to me. During a long drive, I talked the whole thing over with myself…yeah, I do that a lot. At least that way I never have to worry about giving away secrets and since I have finally sworn off self-hatred, I don’t even have to worry about rejection! Some really important thoughts hit me between the eyes…
    1. You don’t have to have sex with someone to love them! It’s so simple. I just never thought about it that way. Oh, I have had very, very close friends for whom I would do almost anything. But the devotion I feel for them is not the same as what I feel for my wife. I do feel honest love for her…would I die in her place? Yes. But I now understand that it is not sexual love. I am not sexually attracted to her. I never have been. It’s very clear now, I mean…the first time I ever kissed her was on the night I asked her to marry me…really romantic guy..that’s me! I really was attracted to her, just not sexually.
    2. I think the best way to phrase this next thought is to say that I am in love emotionally with my wife. We did quite a lot together before we were married and got along incredibly well. We were far more than just friends, although we were that too. I have heard people say that they married their best friend…well I really, literally did that. Except for sex, we mesh in every way that I can think of. I have been asked if, now that I have come out as gay, will we get a divorce?…hell no! We have literally become one person in every way but one. After 50+ years of depression and shame over my “horrible secret”, I have finally accepted ME and got rid of all that garbage. If we were to divorce, I would be right back in that pit of despair…no thanks
    3. So what about sex? Well, I haven’t been with a guy since I was 21(I’m 67). I don’t think it will be all that difficult to keep that streak going. I never have and never will cheat on her. I won’t do that to her. I won’t have my sons discover that I have betrayed their mother. So I’ll just take care of that myself. Now that I no longer consider masturbation to be an evil, sinful practice, I’ll be just fine (had to work through that too…I was a real mess!).
    So here I am….absolutely gay. Married to a wonderful, sweet woman who loves me and accepts me as I am. I am blessed by those three sons and those four grandchildren. I now have such a better understanding of my relationship with the person with whom I have spent most of my life. I do love her! …..David

Hushhh, Necrose, Jodigirl and 2 others like this.
  2. SeulgiBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Great! Well everyone choice the best for her/his life, i'm happy that u live with no any worries :slight_smile:.

3. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi David,

Here are my candid thoughts.

It seems to me that you are in the bargaining phase, trying to convince yourself that your situation isn't so bad. I was in a similar place not so many years ago, so I understand. Today I'm divorced and have a BF who I love completely in ways that were not possible with my ex-wife.

Here are some things to think about.
    • You may discover that once you find love with another man you'll find a more complete, true love than you know now. At least that was the case for me.
    • Given that you are 67 I understand that divorcing might be a stretch. Would your wife be agreeable to an open relationship as a bridge to help you discover what you need?
    FWIW, I appreciate your candor raising the question here on EC. I've found too many men around your age on hookup sites seeking other options with less integrity.

Best,
    SF

4. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    SiennaFire....Sorry to have given you the impression that I am dissatisfied. I have never been happier. I love my wife and am not looking for anyone else. Yes, I am gay and having accepted that and having reconciled all the negative beliefs that society and religion placed on me, I am in the best place that I have ever been. The guilt and shame of being a "broken" human being, an "abomination" are gone. So is the self-hate that came with all of that. We are staying together and I have no plans at all to look for anything more than friends, not fwb. Thanks so much for your comments...I wanted to share how happy I am and hoped that others might benefit from my thoughts! Thanks again! ....David

5. Markieg64

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Quebec that is my life to everything you have said exeped I have not come out to my wife yet and I hope when I pluck the courage to we can get through it and stay together because she is a wonderful women and wife and I love her but not in a sexual way . There my be hope for me

6. justaguyinsf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It sounds like you're in a really great place and it's awesome that you can share it with us! Having a wife who accepts such an intimate and challenging (in a heterosexual relationship) part of you is worth it's weight in gold!

Hushhh likes this.
  7. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I’m so glad to read your story. I’m middle aged and bi, and I love my wife. I did cheat on her once with a man when I first came out to myself, but not since. I think I felt I had to act on my attraction, because it was there. It hasn’t been difficult to resist since. Between relations with my wife and masturbation, I am satisfied. I like my life and don’t want to screw it up. If things ever changed I’d consider being with a man, but I am fine with that never happening

8. Aven

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's wonderful. You sound happy and that's what is important!

9. Butterflies85

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks so much for sharing!! It sounds like a very fulfilling and beautiful relationship you have with your wife! congrats on finding peace! Wishing you all the best into your future David

10. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No apology necessary; my thoughts are independent of your level of satisfaction/dissatisfaction. While you may be in a great place now relative to the past, I was hoping that you might want to discover an even better place in a sexual and romantic relationship aligned with your sexual orientation.

Thanks for sharing your insights with EC.

11. Destroyed

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess your in an age that is already past prime time, based on the ageist gay community on matters love,sex and relationships, basing this on how your mind is placing everything, so i understand the agape love you may have for your wife, cause hey your basically a gay man with his bestfriend,its an easier stage at this point in time for you facing the future.
    Also its definitely not eros love, as you clearly said you are gay and now self accepting. If its eros, maybe do reconsider your bi.

12. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm with Siennafire on this. The main thing I feel in reading your post is that I feel terrible for your wife. This may be what you signed up for but it is most certainly not what she signed up for. Sure you can love someone without wanting to have sex with them... the way i love my mother comes to mind or my mother-in-law. The fact that you can love someone that way isn't a revelation to any one. I don't mean to be pointed but it just isn't and thinking it is seems like some pretty careful mental gymnastics. I don't even know your wife let alone love her and I know she deserves more. I think you should give some careful thought to why you don't think she deserves that.

Okteivia likes this.
  13. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey OGS....You make a good point. That is why she and I have had long conversations about this. I said in my original post that there was more to the story of my coming out to her. We talked a lot over quite a period of time. One of the first things that she brought up was that sex was not important to her...we had not had sex for over twenty years. She and I are both in agreement about our lives. To tell the truth we have never been happier. I am no longer hiding my "big secret" from her. We have been so much more open and honest with each other in the last year and a half. My wife even makes some pretty good, very funny jokes at times...I don't want to call them "gay jokes" because they are more like "human nature" jokes. That is something that never happened before I came out. I do appreciate your concern and thanks for the comment! .....David

Hushhh likes this.
  14. MOGUY

David,
    I am right there with you! Married 39 years to a woman I love dearly. I have no intentions of cheating on her. And I am gay. I guess I am a little surprised that there are some on here that do not want to believe that we can be happy in such a circumstance. As you mentioned, honest communication with the spouse is the key.

Hushhh likes this.
  15. Mabel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is interesting....maybe it’s the age difference, or a gender thing? I just don’t think I can be completely happy in a hetero marriage. I’m a gay woman. My husband has been very supportive and we are good friends and partners. Sometimes I feel this way...I guess then I realize it’s not “just sex” I have been missing. There is the holding hands, keeping house , facing the world with your partner at your side. All that means something to me, and I don’t get that from having a male partner. It’s part of who I am. I am happy with him and our partnership but I know I will eventually need more. Being out and having people know helps, I just know, personally, I need to live my life as me. I can sorta do that by being out and still with him, just not completely. I am happy we have we we do together. I just think I need the opportunity to live how I was meant to.

If you are in happy place with this than that’s wonderful. I think Society has changed in a lot of ways that help us be visible while having a hetero partner. I know the family we have told so far are supportive in us taking our time to find our way and that does feel good. Yet they still acknowledge who I am. It has helped a tremendous amount for me. I feel it’s just part of the journey though, and that I have more work to do?

16. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey MOGUY....Thanks so much for the comment. I'm not going to even hint that this entire situation with my wife has been a breeze. It has been difficult and resulted in the most frank and humbling conversations that we have ever had. As tough as was to come out to her, when we really got down to very explicit discussions of our sexuality, it was like being stripped naked in front of a crowd. We wanted to work out a way to stay together. It was not easy. While there never was a question of our love (except me not understanding just what that love meant), the biggest thing that saved our marriage was the fact that I had never cheated on my wife. To anyone who is married reading this...I implore you...if you have not cheated on your spouse, do not do so. The price to be paid is so high that very few partnerships survive that blow. So, in response to your post, yes communication is absolutely the key. While communication with your partner does not guarantee a favorable outcome, it seems to me to be about the only path that has a chance to work. I think that part of my original post is to let people, especially here on "LGBT Later in Life", know that it is possible for a couple to survive one spouse coming out Gay/Bi/Lesbian. I realize that the statistics do not give very good odds for that happening. Indeed, I have a few friends who came out to their partners realizing that they simply could not stay in the marriage regardless of their spouse's reaction. We all have different paths in this life. I wish the very best to everyone who reads this and hope that what ever relationship you are in is a source of joy and fulfillment. ......David

MOGUY, Peterpangirl and Mabel like this.
  17. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mabel....So happy for you! I do think that we all need to find a way to live that works for us, that fulfills our needs and desires. You are working towards that...so am I. Each of us in the way that works for our unique personality. ......David

18. Mabel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I very much agree! Your post just stuck me because I’ve been moving back and forth in my head like crazy! One minute it’s “things are happy “and the next I’m thinking “ I need to have a non straight life”. It really can be disorienting. Sometimes I find myself thinking it all would be so much easier if he were a jerk! He’s not though, and it probably wouldn’t be because he’s been my biggest ally and support in all this!

dreamingfreely likes this.
  19. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Quebec,

Having read your Opening Post a few days ago, it stuck with me and got me thinking about how to respond. Then, just yesterday (which so often happens, when chance favours the prepared mind), I was listening to a short biography of the great Montreal-born composer Colin McPhee, who was openly gay, yet married a woman while doing his ethnomusicological work in Bali in the mid-20th century.

Around the same time, McPhee met Jane Belo, who had studied anthropology and who was also interested in traveling to Asia. Although he was actively homosexual, McPhee and Belo were soon involved in an intense sexual relationship. They were married in 1930. Belo was aware of McPhee's homosexuality [my bold], but she felt that a relationship with "a feminine man" was an important stage in her emotional development, and that it also revealed "aspects of masculine protest and narcissism"

The marriage ended soon enough, after about 8 years, but it was a productive relationship and an important step in McPhee's development as an artist. He was greatly responsible for saving Balinese music from obscurity and decline, and future composers in the "minimalist" style owe him a great debt.

The marriage did end, eventually:

Since the Balinese were relatively tolerant of homosexuality, McPhee also soon threw himself into the sexual exploration of Balinese men. His sexual involvements with Balinese men led eventually to a separation from Belo. McPhee wrote to one friend, "I was in love at the time with a Balinese, which she knew, and to have him continually around was too much for her vanity. So it ended as I had foreseen at the beginning . . . ." McPhee was able to live in Bali only because Belo had the money (which came from her family and her wealthy ex-husband) to do so. They were divorced in 1938 shortly before they both left Bali.

The notion that marrying that one person who is somehow supposed to fulfill all of one's sexual and emotional needs is a relatively recent (say the past 125 years, or so) development. It would be worthwhile to remember that marriage was more often than not a contractual arrangement which favoured the couple, but also the community at large, adding procreation and stability into the mix. Romantic love, if it happened, was simply a bonus; not a prerequisite.

It can be argued, convincingly I think, that McPhee's marriage to Belo, which appears to have been a happy one for the most part, also benefitted McPhee's art and by extension, enriched our common cultural life.

There are all sorts of reasons to marry, there really is no script and no clear path in the development of intimate relationships, especially these days, however, the most important element in all of this is complete and total honesty.

#19 greatwhale, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  20. Markieg64

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Quebec
    I agree with what you have been saying and that others have got good points
    But I put my earlier thread on here

I have admitted to myself later in life I'm 53
    And I have been married for 30yrs I fill like you do but have not come out yet just not ready for me my e after August next year for reasons . But when I do I hope my wife and I can sit down and talk about me being gay and come to an agreement that we can stay together .

Me and my wife have had a good marriage and had two girls and all three are my life
    And I want to keep that going but I know it' going to be a hard slogg and bad times and I don't know if my feeling for men are going to get stronger . Which I have not acted on yet . My statement is I am pleased you talked all this through with your wife and I hope it works out for you I really do and I hope I can do the same
    Good luck