1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling friends via email?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LostInDaydreams, Nov 19, 2017.

1. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm actually considering telling a few friends that I'm gay via email.

I'm somewhat surprised that I'm seriously considering it. I wasn't able to do get it done tonight as my partner had the device that my friends emails are stored in. The feeling might wear off by tomorrow, but since I'm thinking about it...

These friends I've known for years but only see about once a year, so I think via is fine. My question is, do I throw it into a general catch-up type email, or make the email mainly about telling them?

I feel it'd be nice to have a space in my life where I'm not feeling trapped and stifled, even if it will be a very small space in my life. I'll put in the email that it's more about me telling them, then them knowing - does that make sense? I'm not looking for any advice on how to move forward, for example.

#1 LostInDaydreams, Nov 19, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  2. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you only see them about once a year, and it has been a while since you've caught up, then throwing it into a general catch-up type email is probably fine (I suggest you make it a short one, you wouldn't want them to just "skim" through a long one). Let us know how it goes.

Ruby Dragon likes this.
  3. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    LostinDaydreams...Towards the beginning of my coming out process there were two people who were very important to me that I wanted to tell. At that time the whole "coming out" thing was hideously difficult for me. So I used email. Even with email mail I found it impossible to just type "I am gay". The best I could do was to explain to them how bad things had gotten for me and that I had made a very difficult but life-changing decision. From the context they both understood and became two of my very strongest supporters. Their encouragement, their help made a big difference to me in those days when I was just beginning to understand myself. I had many years of lying to myself to overcome and those two guys were there for me time after time. ....David

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Yes, it does make sense. The first time when I came out to a friend, I came out over e-mail. The friend lived at the other end of the country, whom I had not seen for almost a year, so it also became a catch up e-mail what happened since we saw each other. Given that you don't see them all that often, it would make sense to do a catch-up e-mail, but also with bit of an emphasis on your coming out to them. I think you could combine both 'aims' quite nicely.

Let us know how it goes. :slight_smile:

5. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see no problem in coming out via email. Heck, the first time I came out, was in a text message to one of my friends. She said she knew, or at least suspected, all along, which was a huge relief.

The second time I came out (to my parents), was in a typed out letter (Which, I guess was more or less the same as email). I agree with DecentOne that you should try and keep it as short as possible, with the most possible information, if that makes sense.

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I came out to a couple of friends by email, there is nothing wrong with that. I don't see a problem adding it into a catch up email, I would just make it clear to them that you aren't really out to other people just so they are aware of the situation.