1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Closested Relationships

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PixieDust1, Nov 15, 2017.

1. PixieDust1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi is anyone interested in a closeted relationship?

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nah, it would be a dealbreaker for me.

I'd be careful on what you might be suggesting though, since this is not a dating site. We can't pair up people here :slight_smile:

3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Echoing this.

Now that I'm 90% out, I completely understand why lots of people don't. Its so fucking hard to sacrifice any of your outness.

4. PixieDust1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Oh I thought we could meet ppl here...since I can't really join any dating sites that would be to risky. I heard of a couple that is in a closeted relationship and it works for them. Unfortunately due to my culture and family I can't show that I have interest in this sector at all the consequences are so severe that everything I ever known will fall apart, but for my mental health I feel like I need to know at least what's it like and be sure for myself and not be in this constant battle with myself any advice would be very appreciated. Private message if you like to know the reasons why I take such precautions. Thanks:slight_smile:

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, and welcome to Empty Closets! As it was mentioned above, EC is not a dating site, or a site to meet people offline. It is an online safe space and support community.

It sounds like you could use support, and have a space where you can talk about what's on your mind, and perhaps even on what the future could possibly hold. I would encourage you to stay on the site, and 'talk' with others, and ask questions you would like to have answers to.

You will not be able to send private messages to other Regular or Full Members, until you are a Full Member. However, if there is something you would like to talk in private about, or don't want to share on the public forum, you can send a message to any of the staff members, which you can find listed here. :slight_smile:

6. PixieDust1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ok thanks for the support! I appreciate it! :slight_smile:

7. PixieDust1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    How do I become a full member?

8. Mabel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Been in a closeted relationship, it’s not easy at all and I will never do it again. I can understand why some people do, it’s just a lonely way to go. It also adds to the damage being closeted already does to your well being. Stay on here, talk it out, it really helps to have an outlet!

9. PixieDust1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately my situation is so beyond repair that if I was ever to come out it would change my life forever. I'm coping now and barely hanging on by a thread and I'm still trying to understand the emotions I have,but if I don't at least know for sure without even experiencing once what it is like how will I ever know for sure. There is so much sacrifice and damage if caught it's really bad even if I was caught on this site I can't even describe how bad...:I

10. Mabel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’m sorry your situation is so difficult. If you read around so many of us here are experiencing huge life change as a result of trying to live more authentically. Some have lost a lot, you may not be as alone as it seems. Please do read around, the others stories may be very helpful and comforting to you.

One thing that strikes me is despite your fear of consequences and life changing scenarios you are still considering a closeted relationship? That to me seems like evidence that your needing to understand this part of yourself holds a lot of weight for you. Why not join in discussions and try to understand before leaping into a relationship? Even talking about it lets off some of the pressure of not being able to express a hidden part of you. We are here to listen for sure!

11. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Keep in mind that closeted relationships can cause problems too. You CAN be easily caught by your parents or your culture, and there will be worse consequences for you and your SO when it happens.

12. PixieDust1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well the reason why I'm considering a closeted relationship is because i was told by my therapist and a crisis counselor that it would help my mental health because I have been suicidal about this part of myself and just constantly dwelling on it or not experiencing it once is making me so depressed that I feel like I'm losing mind. I'm not even allowed to go on real dates with guys it's all monitored and arranged and what not I can't stand it. I have no say over my life without their being a say from my culture and family it's really difficult. Thank you guys so much for your honest feedback it's nice to talk to someone about this other then a hotline and my therapist. :slight_smile:

13. SeulgiBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I was close to be like that, it is hard and you feel guilty but if really love you should be really brave or it became worse or live with some regrets.

#13 SeulgiBunny, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  14. PixieDust1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Where I come from they don't have this idea of loving you no matter what. It's either their way or the high way, your considered a disgrace, selfish, and will become most likely disowned because unfortunately whatever decision you make will effect the entire family it's just the way it is. You carry an entire town and family name all your life. If you do anything outside of what is considered normal it's considered very threatening some ppl get beat up and others are threatened with death threats if you do something outside of the cultural norm. I'm not even allowed to move out on my own until I'm married, I'm not allowed to travel on my own unless I have someone with me, it's all survival and how much you try to work with them under the conditions they have set for you. I have it easier then most individuals but I still don't have my own life. I just wanted something different then everyone else and still have my family at the end of the day. They care so much of what others think and say because unfortunately they have to it's how we get married. Reputation of the individual goes down to reputation of the family if the family's reputation has some real bad baggage on them then their children will have a hard time getting married. I'm just so tired, frustrated, trying to hold on to them so that I can still have a home at the end of the day.:frowning2:

15. Mabel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I get this kind of culture. It was one similar to what my ex faced, but she’s older and has more freedom. I get the sense that you are young.

I’m wondering why a therapist would recommend a closeted relationship when you are extremely vulnerable. If you have been suicidal the weight a relationship would hold is very risky. If it doesn’t go well, you don’t have much recourse in your situation. I could see a therapist making a recommendation for you to find a closeted community in your area, or simply just reaching out to others like you...like you are here. I have no background in therapy, but I have been a patient plenty.

What is this culture? Can you give more information? Is independence an option when you get older? I really don’t feel a closeted relationship is going to give you what you need to grow emotionally at this time. It sounds like in the situation you are in that emotional and personal strength is something that will help get you through until you are old enough to go out on your own.

It sounds like an incredibly isolating place you are in. I do hope you keep reaching out and talking to us and others like you. I can’t help you with finding a closeted relationship but I and many others here can be someone to talk to when times are rough. Please keep posting...stay moving forward , even if your forward steps are teeny tiny they are still forward. That’s huge. Blessings :slight_smile:

16. Cinnamon Bunny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Pixie, it sounds like you are in a very though situation. The fact you are in touch with an affirming therapist gives me some hope. How did you find them? Online? Locally? I really hope you are taking steps to help with your emotional and mental health. If you aren't taking care of yourself facing these kinds of challenges it can be too much to bare. So above all, be kind and caring of yourself. Give yourself a break and do things that refuel you emotionally.

I think other people who are in the closet would be interested in a closested relationship, since they are in the same situation. But if you merely want to know if you're gay, you don't need a romantic relationship to know that. Straight people don't need to date to know they are straight. The evidence is likely there in your life already. It's usually hard to accept though, especially in a tough and stressful situation like yours. I agree, the more you are around people and the more you interact with people you will get a better idea who you're attracted to. You just don't have to have a romance to know. You can just be mindful and aware of how you feel when around people or when watching media.

There is also no "certainty" in knowing. You can deny, question, argue away a mountain of evidence. I cuddled with a friend, even got arosed, still wasn't certain. It really comes down to if you're ready to accept what you know and accept yourself as you are.

I sincerely wonder, how can you have a closeted relationship if you're monitored that much when dating a guy? Online dating?

I don't know your exact situation, age, or what country you are from. If you're young, the situation may not last. I just wonder if perhaps in the future you'll have more options. Depending on how dire things are, it might mean getting away and starting over in a safe town/country. Which is really hard, it will entail a lot of change and sacrifice, and it may mean losing family support... but it also means living in freedom and getting a chance to know real love. There also might be resorces and support for you outside of family. It might not be something you feel strong enough to do now, but as you grow and become more stable it won't be impossible to do.

Also, worse case scenario, you could get creative. Like befriend a gay guy who wants out too, get married, use your resorces to get away, start over :slight_smile: I hope you wouldnt have to resort to something like that and you'd have to be very careful, but my point is don't lose hope. There's always a way.

17. PixieDust1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you everyone for your feedback and support it means a lot. To be honest my situation is more complicated then it looks I am 26 and I am considered an adult but my culture unfortunately never allows you full independence your never allowed to live on your own even if I go get married live on my own with my husband and ask for a divorce I would have to go back and live under my father's household. You could be 50 years old and still have to live with your family if it's not with your parents, it's with your brothers, if not your brothers, your uncles you never venture out on your own. What I do know is I have attractions towards both genders women much more then men. I managed to convince my mom to do an online dating site of course it's a religious one and I'm asked a lot about who I talk to ofcourse bcs I still have to get my parents blessing, but it made me feel a little independence we're allowed to choose who we want to marry and get to know one another for some time but it's done very formally which I like to call blind dates so the online dating site was a little bit of an emotional relief even though I still don't get the feeling that I want from a guy as I would get from a girl and I'm just worried that if I don't at least experience it once what it's like then I'm afraid I'll never know or end up cheating on my husband later on if I do get married so better to find out now. I've heard of someone who got married had 3 kids and he was caught cheating on his wife with a man and not only is he divorced now but his entire family disowned him. We're told it's a test of God and that the feeling is normal but the act is sin and believe me we have come a long way compared how we were over a thousand years ago which was it's a sin and that's it so I feel my faith has made some room for understanding/progress even though their others who do these unforgivable acts in the name of my faith which is not allowed but homosexuality is one I believe we got wrong and we're also told if you get married you'll be fine there is another chat group who I know of who willingly hold back for religious, cultural, and family purposes and their crying their eyes out and suicidal wishing they weren't like this because the sacrifice is not just you being disowned by your entire family and friends you could also be responsible for the futures of the next generation of your family which is why they disown you. Only 1% actually runaway and live their lives I thought at one point that that group was right especially when I was very religious at the time, but I developed these attractions later on in life and I can't help but think I was meant to see through the eyes of another ppl I don't believe anything happens by coincidence all I know is I do feel something. And I have heard of ppl marrying certain individuals for their families so they can live freely somehow, but it's so much more complicated maybe I'm just going through a phase or it's all in my head. Idk but the reason why I chose this group over the other because I didn't like hearing that your feelings are not valid and that I be taught how to restrain myself. I wanted to feel I had a choice in my life and to be given the option. I found my therapist online who I see secretly after contacting a suicidal hotline that directed me to different therapists and she's helped me a great deal. Thank you all once again. :slight_smile:

18. Cinnamon Bunny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey Pixie, sorry for the late reply. I wanted to do some research to see if I could find some resources for you.

I really do not think it's in your head or a phase. You're 26 after all, not a kid going through puberty. Ultimately though, only you can know yourself. It's also really normal to not be aware of your attractions in a community or family who reject all gay relationships or are controlling. It's a survival skill, a defense mechanism to protect ourselves.

Honestly, I relate to your distress. At least in part. I grew up in an environment that is religious and doesn't support LGBT+ though I'm not monitored like you are and can live independently. I was worried about making a huge mistake marrying a man, when I wasn't even sure what I wanted. I too feared getting married only to realize I wasn't interested in sex or men. I needed to know. Since I've gone through this I know it's not easy dealing with that uncertainty. I know it's harder to be certain without interacting with others.

Ultimately you are an adult, if you want a relationship with a woman, even a closeted one, that's up to you. I only urge you to be careful. Because your emotional health should come first. Its easy to get tangled up in an unhealthy relationship or have a bad experience that may leave you confused or jaded. Also if you're found out, you need a support system in place. I'm not trying to discourage you, just take caution, okay? What are your plans to find a woman to date? :slight_smile:

Can I assume you at least live in the U.S.? You don't have to tell me where as I understand you may need to keep that private. If you do live in the U.S. I think there are more resources for you like temporary housing, programs to help you get employment, food stamps, and food banks. There may be programs to help with LGBT or with leaving controlling religions/cultures. There are also LGBT+ affirming churches like the UCC or the MCC that could provide help. You could get employment and afford housing, without much education. Each state is different though so you may need to ask your therapist for some help or do online searches.

Where did you get the 1% stat? Also would you want to leave if you could?

You may be interested in the TorProject which provides a private web browser. It takes some effort to use but it's has better encryption than normal private browsers. It isn't good with video though as it's slow to load. If you wanted to use it for a dating site or a message forum it might be helpful.

Also, to become a full members here you need to post regularly for a few weeks and it can take a month or so the process the reques. So maybe look around and talk with some others. You might even make some friends ♡

19. Cinnamon Bunny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
  20. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other