1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helpful exercises for sadness

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Jackie Ray, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    As some of you know Im losing my mother, Ive been with her everyday and Ive been holding it together well, but this past week I feel like Im dying too. Do you guys know any helpful exercises that help with sadness. In the past Ive turned to drug and alcohol use and abuse to cope with difficulties but I feel like that is a bad idea right now. I still smoke weed and take Vicodin occasionally but I dont think it will end well, maybe meditation, Im willing to try whatever. I just feel like I want to rip out my own heart.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am sorry to read that your are losing your mom. I can only imagine what you are going through. Meditation could certainly help. A further thing that could help would be to go for some mindful walks; walks where you take note and try to observe your surroundings - whether it be in a park, or quiet side streets. This could help in shifting some of your thoughts.

Do you have someone in your life that is really good at active listening? Sometimes, talking about how you feel, and knowing that another person is listening to you, can help too. (*hugs*)

Jackie Ray likes this.
  3. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you I will try walking. Unfortunately in the past I turned to alcohol and drugs, I wasnt a full blown user or anything but I was headed down that road, I still use drugs occasionally but I dont want to be stoned in her last days, I want to be 100% in these final stages. This may sound stupid but how do you meditate? can I youtube it?

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I suggest a creative outlet for your feelings so they don't stay bottled up. From art to music to writing to photography, there is something out there that will let you express yourself, even if it's just starting with a pen[cil] and paper. A journal can be a great idea.

I also agree with Mirko that it can really help to talk with someone who will listen with empathy, even if it's a professional counselor.

Jackie Ray likes this.
  5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Also, consider doing some interviews with your mom about her favorite memories/stories, maybe from her childhood or about her family.

Jackie Ray likes this.
  6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jackie Ray likes this.
  7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Resu has given some great suggestions on things to try out. I you can, try some of them, if not all of them to help you cope. I can only encourage you to trying them, and seeing how it goes.