1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by FoxEars, Nov 17, 2017.

1. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey guys!
    So I've been experiences some symptoms similar to those of tinnitus and I am unsure as to whether or not I should raise the issue with my mum and/or a doctor.
    When there is no external noise, I get a high pitched ringing in both of my ears. This is frustrating and makes it difficult to sleep at times, but doesn't generally cause any pain. It is more annoying than anything.
    However during loud noises, such as in school, restaurants, the cinemas and anywhere there are loud noises that last longer than an instant, I experience a loud and often painful static noise in my ears. Again in both, but this time more so in my right.
    My mother suffers from tinnitus, so I guess that may be what I am dealing with.
    If anyone can help I have a few extra questions, including:
    How serious is it?
    Can it be treated?
    Could stress and anxiety be a trigger?

Thank you very much to anyone who replies, I appreciate it,
    Theo.

2. Islanzadi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi! As someone who's had tinnitus most of my life I can answer a couple of your question!

If it's really only tinnitus, it's not a serious condition, it's more of an annoyance, and so far no, it cannot be treated unfortunately. There are some techniques to learn how to ignore it and live with it, but you can't treat it. The more you focus on it, the more annoying it will get. I don't know for sure if stress can trigger it, but it's possible since high blood pressure can. It can also be caused by prolonged exposure to loud noise (concert, factory work, construction workers, etc), physical trauma to the middle or inner ear (surgery or injury) or a middle ear infection.

However, tinnitus can also be caused by a whole bunch of medical conditions affecting the ears, brain, head, sinuses or even the heart, so it can be a sign of an underlying condition. If it started out of the blue without any situation that I mentionned before that could cause it, I think it's worth a check. Tinnitus usually don't start just like that.

#2 Islanzadi, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    FoxEars likes this.
  3. Searching1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @FoxEars, I suddenly began experiencing tinnitus earlier this year, exactly one week after I started questioning my sexual orientation. I have had several audiology exams, 2 MRI's, and have seen numerous doctors, and they came to the conclusion that it must be Meniere's disease (uneven fluid in inner ear that can cause dizziness and ringing). Well, since I have begun accepting being gay and have made big strides in my life with separating from my husband, it has quieted down. Although it may be Meniere's, which can flare up or present during stressful times, I am pretty certain that regardless it is mainly stress related. I agree with @Islandzadi that you should see a doctor to get everything checked out. It can be related to a long list of possible things, and you want to rule out the more concerning ones- especially if it came on suddenly. However, if nothing major comes up, there is a possibility that it really is just stress. Our bodies manifest stress in odd ways and I know how stressful questioning your orientation is.

Try hard to not freak out about the ringing and trust that it will likely soften with time or you will get more used to it. I was very stressed and depressed when it first came up, and now it only bugs me here and there. Good luck!

FoxEars likes this.
  4. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @Islanzadi and @Searching1 Thank you both so much for replying and clearing most of my questions and concerns on this! I shall be sure to talk to my mum about it and possibly get it checked out in order to rule out anything extreme and therefore set my mind at ease.
    Do either of you have any effective strategies to cope with the ringing and static noises? My anxiety doesn't appear to like it and when it's gone on for longer periods of time it has triggered anxiety attacks - I don't know if these two are related in any other way than the fact that the noise puts me on edge.

5. Islanzadi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't have many tricks really as everything I've tried never worked :/ But the more you tell yourself that this noise is stressing you out, the more it will. It's hard to ignore sometimes but with practice you'll be able to do so more and more easily. Sometimes I can't escape it, it gets on my nerves and I just can't take my mind off of it, especially when I try to study, or sleep, etc.