1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What were the top fashion trends from 1991?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HilerieP90, Nov 17, 2017.

1. HilerieP90

HilerieP90 Guest

I want to know

2. denouement

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Please give people the chance to answer your last few threads on this topic before making another...

That said while I wasn't around in 1991, I found some information on google. Here is the image search, you could draw some inspiration from that since it seems accurate to the websites I'm reading. The New York Public Library has this page with some links to fashion magazines from the time. It looks like if you happen to have a NYPL library card you can access them online.

In general it looks like the style was a lot baggier/looser than what people typically wear these days, and includes more neon/potentially clashing colors. I'm seeing lots of layered looks for men. Tapered cut and/or acid-wash jeans, paired with an oversized, colorful shirt and canvas shoes or sneakers seems like a common look. Large, colorful patterned sweaters/cardigans and turtleneck style shirts (sometimes paired together), seems really common as well. For older men, a bit more drab color schemes seems common. Baseball caps, trapper hats and beanies start being popular in the early 90's.

Are you looking for something more specific than that? Is this just a general question, or do you want to dress in 1990's style clothes for some reason?

3. HilerieP90

HilerieP90 Guest

I want an early to mid 90's outfit how do I get it?

4. denouement

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, you'd probably have to buy it if you don't have it in your closet. You probably already own some suitable canvas shoes (such as Converse) or tennis shoes. If you have some older-looking graphic tees or a flannel, that could work.

Otherwise it would depend what shops are in your area. Since it's fall, there should be some turtleneck type shirts in stores (LL Bean, Nordstrom, even Walmart probably has something comprable). I've seen some similar sweaters to what's pictured in the thrift stores where I live, so maybe hit up the local thrift store to see if they have anything close. You could also check Ebay, Etsy, or Amazon with a search like "vintage 90's sweaters" (or t-shirts, jackets, whatever item you wanted). I think acid wash jeans are out of style these days, so you might not find them in stores... so instead you could get a baggier pair of regular jeans (like a Relaxed or Straight cut, maybe in a size up from usual depending how they fit).