1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's almost that "awkward" time of year again.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Kyrielles, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, so I've been not in a relationship with my partner for 6 years now, and this time of year is always the time I dread seeing come. The holidays, Thanksgiving and Christmas particularly. Here's the thing, my gf who is openly out to friends and even some strangers has yet to come out to her family, neither side (her parents are divorced), she always insists that we have to go to her fathers house and her mothers house, for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. And let me say it gets extremely awkward. For the most part I have extreme social anxiety to begin with, and it's so bad on these days. Since she has yet to come out to her family it makes me feel extremely out of place going into their homes for their family events, it's like I can feel them staring into my soul. lol. But really, it's awkward. Since no one knows we're in a relationship, it kind of makes me feel as if I'm a tag along, I can't touch her/hold hands/casual jokes/ etc. Oh and did I mention her family are 100% republican on both sides, very conservative, very stuck up, blah. On several occasions I have heard and been told racist jokes, (in which I did not find funny, nor did I laugh) and one specific occasion a couple years ago I heard a gay joke, which also wasn't funny. There's so much to say here I don't even want to write anymore about it, I become a wreck just thinking about it. The thing is, what exactly should I do? I've discussed this with her so many times, but she just obviously doesn't mind my feeling awkward. I keep thinking of all the things I can come up with to skip out on it, but I don't want to lie or have to fake an illness just to be able to skip being around people I am not comfortable being around. And if I straight up refuse to go she's only going to get upset with me. So what the hell should I do?

Also. Not sure if this matters, but she does accompany me on Thanksgiving and Christmas at my familys home, but there's a huge difference. My family knows I'm a lesbian, my family knows she is my girlfriend, and have known since day one, and my family isn't rude or making derogatory comments or jokes. So maybe she doesn't comprehend the awkwardness I feel and being that I have anxiety it probably is worse, but I just wish she could accept the fact that this makes me feel so horrible and really drains me. Really I just don't want to go.

2. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mean really, is it just me or does this or has this happened to anyone else?

3. NeonSocks

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey @CK1990, have you had an honest conversation with your girlfriend about how this situation makes you feel? Reading this, I wonder if she almost doesn't realize its more than social anxiety that is making you uncomfortable it is also the fact that you aren't able to reach out to your lifeline. Not being able to act as a normal couple, especially when you need to reach out to someone who understands you best, can really wreak havoc with emotions and anxiety.

I would suggest talking to your girlfriend and explaining why you are uncomfortable and why it is important to you. Your feelings are valid and you are entitled to feel the way you do. Just a thought and hope it helps!

Elendil likes this.
  4. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with NeonSocks, lay out to her how the whole situation makes you feel and make it clear that it is more than just your social anxiety. And I wouldn't leave out the differences between your experiences with your family and hers on those holidays either.

I don't mean to sound rude or insensitive in asking this, but if you've been together for six years and, from what you posted, it seems that you've gone to her parents' homes each holiday in that time (correct me if I'm wrong here), why hasn't she come out to them yet? I mean, her parents should start suspecting something if their daughter comes each Thanksgiving and Christmas with the same friend. In essence it seems like she is forcing you back in the closet just so that she can maintain a relationship with her family, which I think could be adding an additional strain on things.

5. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you don’t want to spend holidays with her family, that’s your decision. You don’t have to and you don’t have to make excuses. Tell her you don’t want to be around their racist and homophobic comments and that it hurts to have to pretend to be her friend when you’ve been together for six years. If she wants to spend time with her family, that’s fine. She can just meet you at your house when she’s done. Everyone comes out at their own pace but that doesn’t mean you have to allow yourself to be pushed back into the closet.

After four years together now, I only recently came out to my family—cut from the same cloth as your partner’s. I would never have asked my fiancée to come with me and sit through that. It was always the biggest relief for me when I went to her house and I could just be myself, like living a whole separate life.

Shorthaul likes this.
  6. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would straight up tell her that I am not coming to her family dinners or lunches.

If she doesn't want to come out that's her prerogative but forcing you to come back into the closet and to have to endure her family's racist and homophobic comments during the entire holiday season is a whole other ball game and I would totally refuse and tell her exactly why.

What are her reasons for not coming out after being with you for 6 years ? Does she still live with them or depend on them ? I know everyone come out at their own pace but I personally don't think I could live in the shadow for what is almost a decade of my life. I also second a previous poster's comment, but don't they suspect ? I mean if I was to bring the same someone to family parties for 6 years straight especially at events such as christmas that aren't really made for friends, my family would probably ask me if we are really just "friends" after about the second year.
    Heck I only joined somebody else's Christmas and NYE family dinner once and they immediately assumed me and the girl were together which wasn't a problem for them but wasn't totally exact either, yet that's the first thing that popped into their mind.
    if they don't suspect she must have invented quite a good cover up as to why you aren't spending christmas and thanksgiving with your own family.

What does your gf do when her relatives say bad things about people of color/foreigners and gay folks? does she laugh and nod along or does she confront them? If my gf was to sit quietly through her dinner while her family was spewing hate about people of color and LGBT folks in front of me/her I would probably lose quite a lot of respect for her for not confronting them tbh, I probably would also have a very hard time not confronting them myself!

Part of my family has shown to be bigoted in the last couple of years but I refuse to let them speak like that when I am around and if they couldn't keep their bigoted views to themselves for even the length of a dinner I probably would stop having dinner at theirs and most definitely wouldn't drag anyone along!

Stick to your guns OP and simply tell her that those events are too anxiety-inducing for you and so this year you won't be going but that she is, of course, welcome at yours as usual.

You shouldn't have your holiday season ruined because your gf has decided to remain closeted yet doesn't want to deal with the consequences of what it means.

Good luck , OP, hugs to you! x

7. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay soooo. I went to her parents' with her to avoid hurting her feelings and having a slight argument. First off I'm going to say this year wasn't as bad as some previous times and the best part, her incredibly racist uncle wasn't there.YAY! I didn't really hear any negative jokes/remarks this year, I am suspicious that her mom may have realized from previous times that I'm not a fan of it & possibly told them all in advance. I am going to say however that I'm super glad it's over for now(there's still Christmas). I would like to add also that I did in fact have a nice conversation with her about how I felt about the entire situation on the long car drive to her parents'. She said she understood and actually suspected it(which I mean she should've suspected it, I'd tried to discuss this before with her). From my comprehension and knowing her for so long I've realized finally what I think is the reasoning behind why she doesn't come out to her parents... I feel like that she may have some parent issues, (she is a child of divorce btw) because she always seems to get touchy and emotional sounding whenever we're discussing anything involving her parents. I feel like she has been seeking this close relationship with her parents for a very long time that she can never seem to get, and she feels as if she comes out to them that they may not speak to her or disown her, which is the opposite of what she has been trying for for so long. That may sound odd, but that is my educated guess.

To answer some of the above questions. No she does not depend on them nor live with them, her and I actually have been living together for the past 4 years and as for them suspecting I believe her mother does suspect, but everyone else seems oblivious or so they act. Also, we do partially spend the holidays with my family, they actually live kind of near our current home. We normally get up super early, go to my families & spend like maybe a couple of hours, then we make the 2 hour drive and spend the rest of the day at her families. I actually just returned home less than an hour ago. As for her response to the bigoted jokes she never agrees, in the beginning she would respond with angry remarks, but once she saw no one cared about her remarks and it continued she just began to ignore the jokes, but I can tell she doesn't it like it either. And also, I want to add too that her mother has actually never made any offensive jokes or remarks, about everyone else though definitely has. I'm not going to lie, it does bother me that she doesn't just flat out be rude and confront them about their jokes and remarks, honestly if it weren't her family setting/event and we where anywhere else I would say something because there is nothing that bothers me more than a person who makes a joke or negative remark based upon someone else appearance/preference/life. It really angers me, I suppose that's why it's so uncomfortable and upsetting for me.

Thanks for the comments, advice, opinions, and good vibes btw guys! I appreciate.