1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Im Trash, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Im Trash

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I finally gathered the courage to come out to a friend and her sister. She showed hardly any interest but was supportive and very chill about it but her sister looked at my weird and said that my sexuality was "strange" and thought I was joking, which stung. I'm now very nervous to come out to any other friends and family. Advice?
    (Btw I'm asexual panromantic)

2. jam93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't read to much into your friends reaction. I got a lot of pretty disintrested respinses when I came out to friends. I'd tell them I'm bi and they would be like "Really? Good for you. What do you think about that weather we've been having?" It's important to remember that while comming out to someone is a big deal for us, it's often not a big deal for those we tell. As long as your friend is supportive of you, that's what's important. She may supprise you in future too, by being much more understanding then her initial appathy would suggest.
    As for the sister, I guess it depends on what she meant by "strange." if she meant it as "that's something unusuall that I've never heard of before" I wouldn't be to worried. However if she meant "strange" as in "wierdo or freek" then that's really unfortunate. As long as you don't think she'll blab to anyone you don't want to know I doubt it will be a real issue. Just remember she isn't someone to confide in in future.
    As for fealing discouraged, I would recomend you try to stay strong. Don't let this one bad incident keep you huddling in the closet. If you feel you need to come out, then do it. Perhaps next time it might be good to ask people about thier views on LGBTQ+ stuff, specifically asexuality, first? That can be kind of hard, especially with something so specific and rather rare, but it could help you gauge thier responses ahead of time.

Im Trash likes this.
  3. Im Trash

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people

4. Billy the kid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't worry about it. Just be yourself and the people that support you will be there for you. You'll get mixed reactions, probably positive ones for the most part. I've said this in other posts but it's a good quote. " what other people think about you is none of your business " good luck and stay strong! :slight_smile: