1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you stay confident enough to come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Redsweater, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Redsweater

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How do you stay confident enough to come out? Every time I try to I get overcome with nervousness and wait and wait and wait till I'm basically falling asleep on my couch.

2. Islanzadi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Coming out is hard! I spent a whole month with an unbearable urge to come out to my mom before I finally did it. I would even avoid long conversations because I wanted to tell her so much that I was afraid I would spurt it out while talking about everything... I'm a bit socially awkward sometimes and I didn't know how to start this type of conversation, so at some point I just spurted it out out of the blue haha

3. Angus44

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've come out over text twice. I guess it's just easier for me to press a button than to figure out how to work it into the conversation.
    -Gus

skittlz and tranonymous like this.
  4. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Redsweater....If you find the answer to that question I know there are many people who would also like to know! I can tell you that it gets easier...depending on who you are telling. I haven't come out to anyone for about a year. Last Friday I ran into a friend that I haven't seen for about four years. I did get a little nervous, but not very much, as I came out to him. Many times it has a lot to do with who you are coming out to. Important people in your life can be difficult to come out to - especially if you are uncertain of their reaction. For me, understanding and really accepting who I am gave me more confidence. As I became more sure of myself, my worry about being rejected decreased. It was an attitude that said; "This is me, if you don't accept me, it's your problem not mine." If I was going to come out to someone, I did care about their reaction, but it has become less upsetting to me if they don't react well. Hope this helps a little...hang in there and...you be you!! .....David

GaiaFr likes this.
  5. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @quebec's response is spot-on here. The better you understand and accept yourself, the more confidence you will have when telling someone else. It's very true.

6. SeulgiBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I do whatever that came to my mind, that is enough.

7. WilliamHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's incredibly hard as others said. The crushing weight is unbearable. This pressure can cause depression and compound your emotions. I'd recommend coming out to just one person to start. A close friend or sibling. You don't have to burst out of the closet, just open the door and take baby steps. It's all in your timing and control. Best wishes.

8. holtzysorry

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I may not be the best authority on this as I drank a whole carafe of coffee when I told one of my friends I was a lesbian. DON'T DO IT! I was vibrating into the weekend and she was fine with it but, don't drink a whole carafe of coffee at IHOP and then tell her.