1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am a lesbian but I struggle with an obsession over a boy who just asked me out and I am torn..

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by GayThea, Nov 12, 2017.

1. GayThea

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi everyone! I am new to this site so let me just introduce myself first:

I am a 17 year old girl from a small christian country, Austria.

I went through the realisation that I was gay (used synonymously for lesbian because I don't feel comfortable using that word to describe myself) two years ago. A year later, around Christmas, I started feeling pressured into outing myself to a few close friends because I couldn't stand it anymore. I spent so many nights crying, fighting myself, being scared and feeling isolated and I finally managed to come out to my best friend via text.
    Half a year later I finally finished telling all my friends.
    One evening I drunkenly confessed my feelings to a close friend, the one who made me realise that my feelings were more than just platonic. I cried a lot, begged her to keep it secret, told her that I would never act on my feelings or do anything to hurt her relationship with her boyfriend, that I never wanted to tell her, how sorry I was about the situation and asked her to understand that my unwanted feelings were the reason why I had stopped talking to her. (On a note: she didn't keep it secret )

Anyways, after coping with all that, losing friends, etc. I'm finding myself in a confused state of mind again.
    It's not like I had not been asked out by boys (just not the prettiest boys tbh) .. but it's not until I met a friend of my brother's named Jake that I started questioning myself again.
    Jake is a handsome guy, he has a cute laugh, is pretty enthusiastic about his first year at college, values my opinion a lot, is a great listener, funny, shares my political opinion, has great values and is outgoing.

When I used to think I was straight (until I was 13 - then I thought I was bi and then finally gay) guys like him would have been far out of my league. He still would be.

I started taking a lot of interest in him (like wanting to know about him), hanging out with him (only when my brother, his friend - who I am not out to yet bc of his religiosity - was present), snap chatting him, sending him mostly pretty selfies (but always trying to not look to pretty).
    Basically I was trying very hard to get to know him and be noticed by him.

Now he's asked me out. Or at least I think so.

Last weekend he asked me if I wanted to go to a local bar everyone goes to, to hang out and chat. I talked my brother into going that day and me and jake ended up talking even two hours after my brother had left. We drove around in his car, talked about all sorts of things and I felt really comfortable apart from the fact that I was worried he might think that I might be interested in him. He told me honestly I could tell him anything, he wouldn't tell my brother or anyone. I was about to tell him that I am gay, that I kissed a girl before,.. but i was scared. I was scared that he wouldnt want to be friends.
    I have caught him staring at me and repeatedly almost nervously running his fingers through his hair (like every five seconds), he sends me semi pictures of him topless after showering, he's paid me a drink when we were hanging out in groups even though I said it was fine and that he didn't have to, he insisted..

and now he's asked me to go have a drink with him with a blushing emoji. I am definitely worried he might want it to be a date.. I can't sleep because I don't know what to do. I feel like I've led him on, but I am also having really strong emotions and almost an obsession with him.
    I said yes, why not. I didn't even tell him that I am gay. I would love to Hang out with him ( he also has a lot of female friends) but I am scared. I'll have to tell him.

On the other hand I'm fearing that my admiration for him is attraction. I wouldn't want to kiss him (or any boy for that matter) or something.. but I have noticed that I am acting a lot like as if I had a crush on him.
    I've talked to a friend about him and the last time we hang out and she said, that if she didn't know that I wasn't into boys she would have thought that I was into him ..
    Now what if I am?
    I am repulsed by the thoughts of being with a boy but I still can't shake the feeling of wanting to be extra pretty when he sees me, of him thinking of me as cool, cute, funny or sweet.
    Yet I am so afraid that he might have developed feelings or at least be interested in me.. I feel like staying in my bed and hiding there.

After I said why not he responded that I should just text him whenever I wanted to go.. he's a really sweet guy, someone whom I felt somehow protective of. I really don't want to do anything to upset him and I know that waiting until he says he's interested to tell him that I'm gay would be mean. I don't feel like coming out to anyone anymore though.
    I definitely don't want to risk anyone of my family finding out - especially not my brother - because I am afraid. I know they wouldn't kick me out but I'd have to listen to some shit and wait for them to cope while I still live with them. My brother would probably be more shocked - he's religious and although not agains gay people he's also not a fan of gay marriage. I couldn't handle this emotional distress during my final year of school before going to college and moving away.
    I have to concentrate on school and my finals I don't have the emotional power to deal with all that at the same time.
    And I am worried that he might let something slip when drunk or not paying attention or deliberately saying something to my brother or to my brother's other friends who I am also friends with.

Well the question is now what should I do.
    How can I stay friends with him? And is he really trying to go on a date or am I over thinking this? How can I not out myself to him and not hurt his feelings or anything while hanging out with him?
    But can I be sure that I don't feel attraction for him? (Actually yes I think I am pretty sure that I wouldn't want anything romantic from him)
    How can I not make things weird? If I ask my brother and his other friends to join us for a drink ..
    Or should I just confront him about it?
    Like what does he want, etc?

Ahhhhh I'm feeling really exhausted and overwhelmed.

I apologise if I am not very comprehensive and for the long text but a big sincere thank you to anyone who bothered to read and an even bigger one to anyone who can offer advice on any of my questions at the end or anyone who wants to comment on this.

Thank you in advance,

Thea

2. SeulgiBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I feel that is normal, many lesbians even after that they know themselves as lesbians keep falling sometimes in love with boys and some straight ones sometimes fell in love with other women... Sexuality is pretty fluid; u should tell him that u like women because after gonna be worse; if you really like him tell them but just if you're really in love but not move on.

GayThea likes this.
  3. GayThea

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the advice! :slight_smile:
    However, I don't think I am in love with him.. he's just one if the cool guys and has a pretty incredible personality. I don't think I would feel comfortable eg.: holding his hand.
    But you are right, I should tell him as soon as possible before things get complicated^^

Thanks again :slight_smile:

SeulgiBunny likes this.
  4. SeulgiBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I can feel u now, to me used to happen me the same with a boy from my school when i was in 9th grade, idk do what you want or whatever your mind want, like be your friend or idk.

GayThea likes this.
  5. Aven

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sounds to me like you might like him. You say that you are repulsed by the idea of being intimate with a man, but are you repulsed by the idea of being intimate with him? and if not, then maybe its worth exploring. In my opinion there is nothing worse in life then lost opportunity and wondering 'what if..". It might turn out that you're bisexual or fluid :slight_smile:

If however, you are certain you don't want a relationship then you should tell him early on that you are not interested in a romantic relationship. You dont have to tell him that you are gay, you could say something along the lines of how much you enjoy his company and worry that taking things further will destroy the friendship. Or something to that effect. But you are more likely to be able to retain your friendship if you tell him early rather than stringing him along and getting his hopes up.

GayThea likes this.
  6. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Thea,

Well as a guy I think I can confirm that he likes you and is interested in something...dating, holding hands, kissing, etc. Now you wouldn't be much of a human if you did not respond positively to a nice, good-looking, friendly, thoughtful guy. I agree with Sarn that what counts is not how you feel about guys in general, but how you feel about this one in particular. But I also agree with everyone (including you) that you should tell him that you (almost exclusively) like girls. Of course I said "almost" because we don't know the future. But without surprises life would be dull!

#6 beenthrdonetht, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    GayThea likes this.
  7. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I honestly wonder if part of this comes from desperation to be liked by someone too. It's pretty normal. If you know in your heart that sleeping with (or dating) a guy repulses you though, I would not do it. It could lead to serious issues and regrets down the road.

Destroyed, Aven and gravechild like this.
  8. Pacack

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, there are two things I want to touch base on.

First off, consider seriously if you have a romantic emotional attraction to him. Note that this is different from sexual attraction (I am gay, but I have been asexually interested in a girl once before). Then consider if you're sexually attracted to him. If the answer is no to either of these, then it's important to do something now before you end up hurting him more than you have to.

If it is the case that you are not actually interested in a relationship with him (and I understand totally what this is like; I was hella confused when I was romantically attracted to a girl, but knew that I didn't want to do anything sexual with her), then it's important that you tell him that you're not interested, but in a way that is both kind and sincere.

I understand not wanting to out yourself in your scenario. Instead, tell him that you aren't attracted to him, that you aren't looking to be emotionally invested in someone right now, that you don't think it would work, or any number of other statements which are true without revealing sensitive information about yourself. Note that this is going to hurt his feelings. That's inevitable in scenarios of unrequited love/attraction. It's important to recognize that you cannot prevent him from being hurt; you can only prevent him from being hurt more than he has to be. I've had to stop a serious relationship from forming when I didn't think it would work, and I can tell you that, while the guy I broke it off with was hurt for awhile, he healed from it and we're still friends today. Hopefully, the same can happen for you and your friend.

In the meantime, it's okay to throw yourself into your work. School is important, and it's reasonable to prioritize your studies over unnecessary conflict. Don't feel inadequate because you aren't forcing yourself out of the closet or because you feel like you're not being truthful. More than anything, you have to be able to make it through your current situation, and safely.

Let me know if there's anything I can help you with. If you want to talk, my messages are always open.

Destroyed, GayThea and Aven like this.
  9. GayThea

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you so much that was very helpful!

I am not sure however about the nature of my feelings for him. I have no clue if I feel romantically attracted to him.. and i font know how to tell. The last time I feel for someone, it took me a lot of time to realise.
    I think I will try your proposal and tell him that I'm not looking for a relationship.. thanks again !
    He has a lot of female friends and his best friend is a girl as well so I'm hoping that I can be someone like them in his eyes^^

I would really like to get back to your offer about talking further :slight_smile:

10. GayThea

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I definitely value him a lot and I know for sure I couldn't kiss him or anything else. Today he sent me a topless picture and I was like "boy noooo". It's not that he's bad looking it's just not attractive to me and feeling like a boy is attracted to me makes me cringe. At the same time I also sort of want him to like me.. but not him specifically more like everyone.

Thanks for your advice, it is very much appreciated! :slight_smile:

11. GayThea

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi,

Thanks for your advice!
    I honestly am having a hard time telling romantic feelings from platonic ones apart.. however like you said honesty is the key.. or at least part of it.

12. GayThea

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi,

Well I think you've got a point. I have been trying really hard to be liked.. I should probably consider that.
    Thanks for the advice!

13. GayThea

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi,

I know that I don't feel sexually attracted by him at all, I can tell that he's pretty (I would rather describe him as cute).
    I can't imagine being in a relationship with him, it's not something I would want... I think i want to be part of his group of friends alongside my brother. Actually he's already invited me to "hang on to" their group when my friends can't make it.
    I'm still having difficulties feeling the differences between romantic and platonic feelings.

Thank you for your advice it was really helpful! I feel sorry for hurting him he's just too kind and caring. Situations like these really make me wish I had less trouble with coming out.
    Thanks again for your concern, I really would like to get back on your offer to talk someday.

14. foxconfessor

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To me this sounds like a classic case of compulsory heterosexuality/heteronormativity - even though you feel you are a lesbian, society has told you should be attracted to men - therefore, you meet a guy that you get along with and find objectively attractive, and therefore feel compelled to believe there is a chance of you developing feelings and engaging in a romantic/sexual relationship. It's completely understandable and something I have personally struggled with for many years. For me it's been quite damaging, as I have spent years conflating my true self and my true feelings with an ideal self and imagined feelings, which has been very disorientating and made self-acceptance a lot harder to attain.

You've said you can't imagine being in a relationship with him and you are worried about him developing feelings for you. This sounds like your intuition speaking - trust this. I would recommend trying to reframe your perception of him - see what it's like just viewing him as a friend. It'll take some discipline but it could help you with your own self-acceptance (if this is still an issue) and even help forge a more meaningful and rewarding relationship.

GayThea and Destroyed like this.
  15. taken

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with all the above posts. I've been in your position before, and I ended up hurting myself in the long run. I knew I was lesbian, but I was too scared to come out. I had been raised in a fairly religious home, and didn't want to disappoint my parents. I chose to ignore my feelings and try to force myself to be straight. I went as far as to be engaged to a guy who I really didn't love. Once he and I broke up, I continued on this path of telling myself that I just hadn't met the "right one." I dated some great guys who literally had NOTHING wrong with them, boyfriend/marriage material, but I was not romantically/sexually attracted to them at all. This went on for several years before I finally drove myself so far down that I had to just come to terms with things if I ever wanted to truly happy.

I'm not saying that you can't be attracted to this guy because you've already declared your lesbianism, but if you know that the deeper romantic feelings aren't there (and have no potential to be there), don't put yourself in that hole. I ended up feeling awful when breaking up with great guys, hurting them, and not truly having an excuse as to why I was breaking up with them. But, if you think that there could be deeper feelings there, I say explore those feelings. Though, I would be up front with him about things (if you're comfortable talking to him about it). Don't force yourself to come out to someone if you're not ready, but also consider the other person's feelings as well. I hate hurting other people, and I had to do it a few times because I tried to force something that wasn't there and was never going to be there.

GayThea likes this.
  16. GayThea

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for your helpful comment!
    Yes you are right.. compulsory heterosexuality seems to play a significant part in my case.. I am experiencing the same things you described: the idea of my ideal self is being straight - because being different is something that is very hard for me. Sometimes I feel like I am trying to "erase" my own coming out and its consequences.
    I will definitely try repicturing him as a friend - thank you for you advice!

17. GayThea

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi,

I am sorry to hear that you struggled for so long with that. I honestly can't tell how accepting I am of myself at this point. Unfortunately it feels like I am aware of the fact that I am gay but not really ready to acknowledge it and thus I am handling it the way I handle every problem: ignoring it and hoping it goes away^^
    I'd hate to hurt him and I really hope it's not too late to tell him something like me not wanting a relationship because of school or something.

Thank you again for your advice it was really helpful!

taken likes this.
  18. Aven

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    in that case it sounds to me like you already clearly know that you don't want an intimate relationship with him and that there is no future at all romantically. So now its just a matter of letting him know that if you can :slight_smile:

GayThea likes this.
  19. GayThea

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah you are right!
    It's just sometimes where I feel like I am acting "like his girlfriend" towards him or like someone who is crushing on him and that's what's been confusing me I guess..
    But like you said I should just let him know that I am not interested in anything romantic right away ^^

Thanks for the advice again ! :slight_smile:

20. Pacack

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't feel obligated to change the way you feel because of how you interpret your "role" in this scenario. You have no obligation to be fulfill the expectations of others.