1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you guys think about dyed hair?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by OtterGrump, Nov 10, 2017.

1. OtterGrump

Alright, so I think I'm trans (ftm), not entirely sure but I won't get into that.
    So I've been wanting to dye my hair for a really long time now, some unnatural colour. I have short hair (basically an undercut), and it's kind of curly, also medium-dark brown I guess. I present masculinely but I'm not out to anyone to I'm basically still female to everyone, though I'll get some people who don't me and only have a quick interaction with me call me male.

So I know that when someone dyes their hair and they're kind of on the fence and looking androgynous then it will often make others assume more female. And I'm pretty sure that'll happen with me. What I'm trying to figure out is if I should dye my hair now while I'm not out and all am still "female" so it won't matter so much, or wait until I'm out and passing. So what do you guys think? I have a lot more things I could ask about dyeing hair but this should be my first one to figure out to see if I should look into the others.

2. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have short hair and dyed them purple which later became (>pink>blue) green-yellowish. I (maybe??) passed twice with them after that but I don't know if due to the shorter cut or to the fact that bright hair underline dark, thick eyebrows. However I still get miss'd everywhere. In the end, nothing changed.

3. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen guys rock some VERY bright hair (like neon yellow and lime) so I don't think it matters gender wise. In fact I dyed my hair blue the other day, so have to wait and see what the "misgender results" will be. I don't think it will change anything especially if you have a higher voice. Anyway, my two cents.

4. DoriaN

To be honest, when I see dyed hair it tends to be a red flag to me. I see the person and can admire their hair, but in the case of a trans person to me 9/10 it instantly outs them. It draws a ton of attention. I would not use dyed hair to help with passing because imo it very clearly hurts passing, but if a person already passes very strongly beforehand then it wouldn't matter. I would advise dying your hair now. My thoughts go for both transmen and transwomen, I do not think a transwoman should dye their hair as I find 9/10 it hurts passing.

Aberrance likes this.
  5. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dyed my hair about 6 months before I came out and found that when I did come out it really prevented me from passing. Dying your hair unfortunately screams 'queer' in most cases. So most people saw me as a lesbian rather than a guy. After I let me natural hair grow out I felt so much more comfortable and felt I passed better.

However if currently you're okay with not passing then I say go for it. I'm glad I went through the stage of dying my hair and got it all out my system. Red, blue, green, purple, different variations of those colours, they were pretty cool at the time and I enjoyed dying it a different colour every week. Go for it.

Kodo likes this.
  6. Hillary B

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Dyed my hair black in 1984. I was 16! A schoolboy. Raised eyebrows a bit then but in Eighties post punk New Romantic times no one blinked. Androgeny was cool end of. But to ansa yr question Otter. I think you'll be fine in a muted blokey hue.

7. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dyed unnatural colours, your hair tends to draw more attention. And for some reason, LGBT people far more often than not have such vibrant hair. So as others have mentioned, not the best for passing.

Dyeing your hair other natural colours however should not be an issue. I've actually been considering for some time going for brown instead of my red.

Aberrance likes this.
  8. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Because they're already accustomed to being different xD

9. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I usually assume that the person is a SJW, when they're female looking and overweight. I never see males with dyed hair. Since you pass as male, if I were to see you, I don't think it would lead me to think otherwise. Pick a color that's complimentary to your skintone and you should be fine.

#9 PlantSoul, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  10. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Going back to my original post, I even went to school with a guy who did a leopard print with his hair. So, I don't think it is a gender thing, but I can see how the attention can out a person who is trying to just pass without issue because of the scrutiny.

11. Hillary B

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's an interesting notion. I think you are right: it could out you. Hair colour and eye makeup. Even subtle it is a big draw for someone like me to be brave and do it. Bur I feel I can't. For now.

12. OtterGrump

Yeah, as I said I think I'm going to dye it now because I'm not out or passing. So being seen as female is alright (still hate it but whatever, I want to dye my hair). I'll just have to deal with some extra attention/looks, which is going to be interesting because of my anxiety :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But since winter is basically here I can just wear hats more often.
    I think I've decided on a dark/bright blue, but no green tones, because those always seem more feminine. Like if anyone has seen Markiplier's hair when it was blue. I really like that colour, it's pleasant.

#12 OtterGrump, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  13. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hair is hair. I've been dying my hair weird colors (like blue and green) since I was 16 - and nobody bats an eye at it. Go for it if it will make you happy :slight_smile: