1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When you tell you HR Department that you are gay...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by wumpbask, Nov 7, 2017.

1. wumpbask

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I recently told our HR department that I am gay. I know this is a bold move but I wanted to be open about my sexuality to them. But I was surprised to know that almost everyone in our department now knows about it as per "HR Staff". I have no problem with that, but is this even proper or legal for that matter?

2. Northern guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    HR should not be disclosing such information to anyone at all . Anything you share with them should be confidential . It’s up to you who you disclose your sexuality to, and when. Yes, once you tell one or two people, in your immediate work place, the gossips go to work, but HR should not be gossiping . You have grounds for complaint .

3. linysneer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    HR should keep everything confidential. if you think the HR staff did spread the the information to your co-workers; then you can file a complaint.

4. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It depends on how your interaction with the HR staff went. If they can show that there was reasonable expectation of this being public information then it is legal. However, if there was not such a expectation then what they did was not legal. In either case their conduct sounds wildly unprofessional and they could end up in legal trouble if any negative repercussions happened to you that could be reasonably attributed to your sexual orientation. For example, many large corporations have employee policies that explicitly prohibit you from revealing your or anyone else's age as a hedge against age discrimination law suits.

5. wumpbask

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you guys. It's been a while and here is an update on my situation....
    Well, I confronted the HR staff who spread the news about me being gay. We talked and she accepted her fault. I did not file a legal complaint against her but a complaint to the HR department about her behavior. This will surely teach her a lesson or two about privacy and confidentiality issues. I don't know what reprimand she obtained but after 2 weeks I filed that complaint, I did not see her anymore. I can't say good riddance because what if she has no job at the moment. This will be a devastating experience on her part. Nonetheless, all I wanted was the right attitude and professionalism to handle these situations. I hope I was right in doing it. Right now, I am attending a therapy on how to go on along with my life being gay. I still have some hesitancy and fear concerning revealing my true identity.

#5 wumpbask, Nov 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2017