1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi. New here. Looking for a friend

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by hoodlum12, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Butterflies85

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That must be very hard not only worrying that your family but the society in which you are living as well will not be accepting. I am so happy to hear that you do have friends that you have spoken to about this and they have been supportive. I agree with your friends that your sister loves you and it sounds like you are very close to her so I am sure she will support you. Fun fact: After coming out to my own sister, she admitted to me in private that she too felt the way I described and admitted she was not 100% straight. She often thought about being in a same sex relationship and often catches herself crushing on other women. crazy right!? You never know - bringing this up to your sister might bring you two closer and if for nothing else, it will feel better being off your chest. :slight_smile:

2. hoodlum12

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I mean I know that telling my sister will make me feel a lot better but I'm so so so scared of her reaction. Every time I tried to tell her I would just tear up she would say "what's up" and I just reply "nothing" (even now just thinking about my sister makes me tear up) I want to tell her so much because I think then I might just accept myself more because if she's happy with who I'm then I'm happy too. I have a lot of time to think how and when to tell her since she lives in another city now because the university she goes to is there. But yeah it's really hard for me to tell her.

3. hoodlum12

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm happy to hear that you come from accepting environment :slight_smile: I know what you mean with coming out to your parents. I feel like coming out to them and my sister is going to be the hardest thing I've ever done in my life (but also the best because I know how good and relieved I felt when I told my best friends about my sexuality). This site has helped me too. Just being here makes me feel good and like I'm accepted by everyone.

4. Butterflies85

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get that and you have to do it in your own time, it's your life and your journey. Have you checked out the coming out forum? I expect there will be a lot of people's stories that will help you as well. Just know we are all here for you. *hugs*

5. hoodlum12

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is so nice of you to say that. Thank you. I'm definitely going to check out the coming out forum. Can I ask one more question? Was you sister maybe a little angry that you told her now and not earlier because I'm afraid that when I tell my sister she might be angry that I haven't told her before and in the first place. (If she'll accept me of course)

6. Butterflies85

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sure ask me anything, anytime :slight_smile: No not at all, I think she was proud that I was being brave enough to own my truth (and maybe a little relieved as she had those feelings too that she couldn't admit). My other sister and mum handled it well too. My mum started asking me questions from my past about friends I had been close with if anything had happened between us. Seemed like she was suddenly putting all the signs together in her head. But no one was angry with me. My family support the LGBT community though as my sister has friends who are gay and I live in Australia which is becoming a more accepting society.

I think many non LGBT people realise the struggle to come out is a big one. First there is a lot of internal battling to admit to ourselves let alone our family and friends. Anyone who is angry with you for not sharing earlier is just projecting. If your sister was to react that way, I'd say it's because she is more angry at herself for not recognizing the signs etc and being there for you. I mean when society tells us we should be one way, and there is a huge stigma with being the other way - it takes time to come out. It's a journey. There is no right or wrong way to come out, or no time limit or rules as to how and when you should.

7. hoodlum12

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think you said exactly what I needed to hear right now. Thank you. Time is the key in this case. Now I'll try accept myself more and more and then try to come out to my sister because to be honest I need her in this (she is my sister and my best friend at the same time) And I don't think I have mentioned that she is a tolerant person (her best friend is a gay man) so I'm just scared of her reaction to me being bisexual.

8. Butterflies85

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is fantastic that her best friend is a gay man. That is really encouraging. I'd say refrain from labeling yourself if that is your concern. Just talk about your feelings. You got this!! GOODLUCK x

9. hoodlum12

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'll try to fully accept myself first and then come out to my sister (but like as I have told u before I don't know if I can accept myself if my sister won't, so that's basically the problem) and talking about feelings was always a taboo in our family and we don't do that a lot.

10. Butterflies85

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey again @hoodlum12 , I hear how difficult this is for you. It is a bit of a catch 22 situation. Hopefully spending time on EC will give you some more answers and direction. I know being on here has given me so much strength and lit up paths I thought I couldn't ever take. I have finally accepted myself since spending time on here. I didn't mean to come across pushy - I was just trying to show you encouragement. But I understand the delicate nature of your decision to come out.

#30 Butterflies85, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  11. hoodlum12

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello again! Today's day has been pretty good for me! I just came out to my cousin (who i treat like a brother and he's like the second most important person to me) and i was so suprised by his reaction. I basically said "what would u say if I liked girls too?" and he was just like "yea that would be cool". I'm stressed like crazy and he's just "that's completely okay as long as ur happy". I'm feeling even better with myself so that's cool :slight_smile: by coming out to my brother and reading some stuff on here. I hope it'll go as good with my sister as it went with my brother, maybe she'll surprise me just like he did. Thanks for your advise, really thank you. You have helped me a lot. :slight_smile:

12. Butterflies85

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Woohoo!!! Good on you!! So happy for you! I really hope you get the same reaction from your sister too! I am really excited for you! You're really brave, it couldn't have been easy doing that but look at what an amazing result! It has been my pleasure to help you and thank you for saying that. Message me anytime :slight_smile:

13. Markieg64

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there
    I am glad you found some courage to tell someone close to you respect good on you I still not out to family yet so know what you are going through well done

14. HiThere80

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    How do you become a full member?

15. WeirdQueer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi, I haven't been here for so long as well, you could talk to me if you'd like. :ok_hand::grin:

16. dannyway23

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi! I'm new too. Always happy to talk. I just followed you. Have a good day hoodlum12.