1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From book, to journal, to reflection, putting the pieces together

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by brainwashed, Nov 7, 2017.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I seem to be obsessed with putting pieces together,with what happened to me in my early to mind teens - age 14-16.

While reading yet another book about gay men and how they dealt with their homosexuality. This time the book Boy's Like Us : Gay Writers Tell Their Coming Out Stories. What stood out in the stories was how these boys, teens,then men came to realize they were gay. While reading the book, I finally asked myself, ~"why can they self reflect and I could not?"

On Oct 20 2017 I wrote in my journal:
    a) From the book Boys Like Us, Gay Writers Tell Their Coming Out Stories, coming out story by Rodney Christopher, titled, Explaining It To dad.
    i) Pg 303: Words by the writer, “would catch my eye” & “images of love and sex” & “I worked hard to suppress my desires” & “I believed no one in my world would understand my feeling, but then, neither did I”
    (1) In the margin, with a fine point mechanical pencil I hand wrote the words,
    (a) I had no feeling(s). Numb, thanks to (boarding school). It’s the perfect combo. a) turn off explore & discover, b) numb feelings, c) turn off self reflect. d) turn on never hurt / cross mom again.
    (b) c) and d) were added after reading a few more pages. I came back to pg 303, and jutted c) & d) down.
    (2) So many of the writers had, maintained their ability to self reflect. This function was TURNED OFF IN ME.

Getting back to this journal entry on Nov 6 2017. I internet searched self reflect and came up with this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflective_practice
    (1) Reflective practice is the ability to reflect on one's actions so as to engage in a process of continuous learning.[1] According to one definition it involves "paying critical attention to the practical values and theories which inform everyday actions, by examining practice reflectively and reflexively. This leads to developmental insight".[2] A key rationale for reflective practice is that experience alone does not necessarily lead to learning; deliberate reflection on experience is essential.[3][4]

A very solid theory. Finally a little peace.

Imjustjulien likes this.
  2. Imjustjulien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well done you... the writing really helps, a good question I have found can be, who was I seeking to be, and/or what was my inner motivation... happy reflecting

3. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agree with the statement, "the writing really helps" 100%. I didn't know this some 300 typed pagers back, I just started typing. But in the case outlined in this post, one clear advantage is going back to what was said so current entries can obtain more depth.

Imjustjulien likes this.
  4. Imjustjulien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So
    So true so true...