1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think of open relationships?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Devil Dave, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see lots of users on gay hookup apps who are partnered and looking for someone to join in with them. While it's their decision and not really hurting anyone if they are both agreeing to it, I'd like to think that if I was in a relationship with someone, I would be content with that person and would delete all of my dating profiles once I stopped being single.

What are your thoughts on this? Have you been in an open relationship? Have you ever joined in with a couple who were open to multiple partners? If not, would you be interested, or does the idea put you off?

2. Suomi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think open relationship has different meanings. What many people assume, it's just letting outside influences into the relationship, which it isl. But I wanted to add more.

I think an open relationship, could be that partners that aren't at that attached stage, but still can date other people. For example, you are dating a person but you guys aren't at that deep of a level, yet you guys are still close and trust each other. But are willing to let one or both of you talk to other people until you have made your mind up.

I think an open relationship could be if one partner has a very specific sexual fantasy or hobby, they can go and peruse that, whilst still being committed to their partner in some cases. For example, if one partner is into being a furry and the other isn't, they can use an open relationship for that, and one partner can go to a furry convention and enjoy themselves etc.

I also think an open relationship could be a relationship that might be on hold or for convenience. For example, you had a bad day at work, so you call that person up and you go out to the movies, then have sexual relations later. This person is not technically your partner, or they may be. But this is in a sense an open or convenience relationship.

My thoughts are as long as nobody is getting hurt, jealous or being lied to, then I don't care.

I've never had a boyfriend or been in a relationship, I'm just speaking on wishful thinking experience, so I can't tell you what I myself would do with this situation.

People need to do what makes them happy.

#2 Suomi, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If everyone consents, it's their business. However, I have no interest in doing it and feel very annoyed when couples try to message monogamous people on dating sites.

dreamingfreely and Chiroptera like this.
  4. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I’m sure at first everything seems great, but I just can’t help but feel that it will go wrong at some point. Jealousy or other problems. That being said, it’s not any of my business and as long as everyone is ok with it, I guess people should go for it

5. Lia444

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don’t have anything against people that do open relationships but that’s not me. I just don’t see that really working out long term if they are wanting to see other people then surely they aren’t happy enough in their current relationship.

dreamingfreely and Biguy45 like this.
  6. Dylan1357

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think an open relationship is ok because maybe one person in the relationship has a larger sex drive or something. But they have to truly love each other and only each other, the others are just hook ups only sex no feelings involved. If one were to catch feelings for another it’s an affair not open.

An open relationship is similar but way different to a polyamory relationships where their are more than two people in a relationship and all the people love each other equally. Which is fine too.

7. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Isn't that a Fuck Buddy/Friend with benefits? I guess that could be a form of open relationship. I'm not against the idea of having a fuck buddy, but if I did have one, I would still class myself as single. I'm thinking about people who are creating profiles for themselves on hookup apps and putting their relationship status as "partnered" or "married" and still looking for hookups (they may even link to their partner's profile)

I guess it all depends on your attitude towards sex. Some single people like to have casual encounters with only other single people. And then there are couples who love each other and like to invite people for threesomes and more. I have actually had a threesome with a couple before, and they told me I was the only person they have done it with. They are still together and I don't know if they are still having three ways.

I've never actually been in a relationship myself, so I can't really predict if I'll ever be one of those couples. I might end up being in one of those relationships - I have surprised myself in the past, so never say never. I think part of me still romanticizes the idea of one special person liking me and only me.

Another way of looking at it is: We all love more than one parent, one sibling, one cousin. Parents with more than one child love all of their children. So why not have more than one husband?

Dylan1357 likes this.
  8. Suomi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To me the terms "fuck buddy" and "friends with benefits" means someone or people(s) you don't know, and aren't ever gonna know on a long term basis and TTYN after messing with them. Like a one night stand, or booty calls. Shit like that.

A friend you have a interpersonal relationship with that you see often and might have sexual relationships, to me isn't a fuck buddy or a friend with benefits.

It's someone you are in a relationship with, but you guys aren't official, or you guys might be official or whatever. To me that's a form of an open relationship.

That isn't being single.

Single is simply that. You're alone and sad and nobody likes you.

What are their reasons for doing that? Did you message them and ask? I'm going to assume you didn't.

For all you know, it could be for what I mentioned above. People aren't always that slutty and promiscuous like that in most cases.

I agree it depends on your attitude towards. I'm a virgin and don't like anal sex, so I don't know. I've never had a boyfriend.

I can't say whether or whether not I would be turned off to any and all aspects of an open relationship or not being monogamous, because I don't know.

9. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess you and I have different definitions on these terms. I don't consider people I've had one off hookups with to be my fuck buddies or FWBs, because I'm not in contact with them. A buddy or a friend is someone I am in contact with and meet up with from time to time. Not a person I've met once and never seen again since. So I would consider a fuck buddy to be a friend who I hang around with just like any other friend, except we'd get off with each other when we both feel horny and lonely.

I've got different responses. some of them are in heterosexual marriages and are hooking up with men discreetly.
    Some are inviting me around for a quick shag while their boyfriend is out. There was one guy recently who contacted me on an app and I said "what about your partner?" and he told me who his partner is (another user on the app) I turned him down, and shortly after he changed his display name to something that describes he's looking to have threesomes with his boyfriend.That made it clearer that he wasn't doing it all behind his boyfriend's back. If they were both hot, and if they had both contacted me, I might have said yes.

10. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally, I am not a fan of open relationships but I've been a part of a couple who were and from what I saw with their relationship, it was something that frowned on although the threesome sex was AWESOME!!!!. After awhile, I began to notice the dynamics between these two due to the fact that one partner was more engaged as opposed to the other partner which was revealed later on that it really bothered him to see how much engaged his partner was while having sex with me and how he reacted in such a way with me that he had never reacted with him. This caused a lot of tension as well as jealousy which made me distance myself from them altogether.

11. Northern guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know a married gay couple who have an “open relationship”. One of the guys is much younger than the other, and I suspect has a much higher sex drive. The younger guy is always checking out guys on apps, he has sex with other guys , with the permission of the older guy , who then gets jealous. They also have threesomes . There’s a lot of stress and tension in their relationship , they don’t appear to love each other , and certainly don’t respect each other . They’re just very promiscuous people and I’ve no idea why they married .
    If you’re in a happy, loving relationship, why would you want a third person to be included?

12. I think it’s interesting. It would be fun if it works out, and as long as everyone is consenting, I see no problem with it.

13. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    THIS sounds like the sort of scenario I'd be worried about. Sounds like they're not staying together for love. Not that I like to judge, but... Having this sort of relationship is basically inviting jealousy into your life.

Northern guy likes this.
  14. Sawyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If all parties agree and are okay with an open relationship, go for it. Personally, I hate the idea, and would not date or continue dating someone who wanted an open relationship. I am strictly monogamous, and want my partner to be too.

dreamingfreely and Northern guy like this.
  15. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always liked to think I will one day have a monogamous relationship. I've always been surrounded by people in monogamous relationships, my parents have always been faithful to each other, and the monogamous relationship has always been presented to me as the ideal form of relationship. But, I've never had a relationship of my own despite being surrounded by positive relationships. I've been on dates and had casual encounters and never been in a long term relationship with any body. So maybe a monogamous relationship is not on the cards for me. Perhaps non-conventional relationships are something I could explore further.

16. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm fine with it, but I have to say it seems a little passé to me at this point. I used to know quite a few people who were in open relationships. I was briefly in one myself. Now pretty much everyone I know who's in a relationship, at least the gay ones, are monogamous.

17. Sawyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I tend to think any relationship, whether conventional or not, still requires the same foundation of commitment to a person or persons, and all the parties have to want it. I've been on and know of people that have been on dates looking for long term, and then it just end up being a few dates because the timing wasn't right. I think if you meet someone that knows what they want in terms of their future, and you are on the same page, it's easier to find a relationship whether monogamous or not.

Basically, it takes time to find someone right for you and what you want, whether it be an open relationship or not. Best of luck,