1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTM Piercing Advice?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Cody18, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Cody18

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, so I’ve decided that I want to get a piercing, or more honestly, I wanted a tattoo but can’t yet afford what I want so am going to get a piercing instead (most are £20-£30) however I’m worried that with me being pre T it may hinder passing. I have been passing more consistently though as I’m finally learning how to effectively work with short hair, and seem to be able to maintain a deep (ish) voice for small conversations. Though I worry a piercing may come across a feminine and thus not be helpful to me in my current situation.

Regardless though I’m drawn to septum piercings (not where they look like a complete hoop though, where there’s a gap between the two sides.. not sure if that’s a good description.. doubt it.) so am wondering about your guys experience with them, did they help you look more masculine? Or make you look more feminine?

I’m also not 100% set on a septum piercing so if you have any opinions or advice on other piercings that would also be great, thank you.

2. shadowalex

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've had a septum for over a year now. It healed really well. (I also have ear lobes pierced but my hair tends to cover those.) I think you might be talking about the horseshoe shaped septum jewelry? If so then thats the one I've had in consistently for a while. Its the easiest to hide. So thats a plus. I can't give much advice on passing because I don't have that luxury right now but I expect I will (eventually, crossing fingers) pass regardless if my septum piercing shows or not. I feel like its a more masculine look but some may disagree. I don't want any other piercings really because I think having a nostril piercing or some other kind of ear piercing would not help me pass personally based on my own face. lol.

Overall it depends on how much you like a type of piercing and if you mind having it despite the possibility of drawing attention to yourself/not passing as well. If you pass really well then people might just think you are a gay cis man as a first impression. Which isn't a bad thing. But really just do what you want because its your body. :slight_smile: Have fun.

3. newts

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't personally have piercings, so I might not be the best source of advice, but I do think they might hinder passing somewhat...obviously not a strict rule, as I'm sure there are some people that can pass (pre-T) with hormones. Often, pre-T trans guys look very young, so when they pass, it's often as a pretty young boy, and younger guys don't often have piercings, so it might hurt passing chances in that way. Also, I feel like piercings are more common with women, although I'm not sure....this is all just stuff to keep in mind though. If you really want a piercing though, I'd say go for it.

4. Cody18

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey! You’re right I was talking about the horseshoe shaped jewellery so thank you for that, helped me figure out what I was looking for.

I do have a question if that’s alright, in regards to sizing. From what I gather the jewellery comes in varying thickness (usually 16 but varying from 14-18, although I’m sure there are others apart from that) and also in length of the bar as this part depends on how much it sticks out of the nose (from what I’ve seen this varies from 6-12mm.) I’m pretty sure I want either 8mm or 10mm but I can’t quite decide, do you know the sizing of yours? And if so what are your thoughts regarding that?

I realised I basically just bombarded you with questions so I apologise, if you don’t have time to answer that’s not a problem. Regardless though, thank you for your help and advice.

5. shadowalex

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yea no problem. :slight_smile:

The one I have in right now is the one that I was originally pierced with, horseshoe shaped with metal balls on the ends. I believe the thickness/gauge is 16. 18 is usually the size of ear lobe piercings and its a little small for a septum from what Ive heard so 14 and 16 are the standard gauge to be pierced with. Mine is about 10mm in length. It sits just under my nostrils so its not too low. I have one septum ring thats 12mm and it hangs much lower. 6mm might not fit so going anywhere from 8-12mm initially should be fine. It depends on your nose and your piercer though. Its always helpful when you go in to get any piercing is ask what gauge they pierce with and the size of the jewelry, etc.

Some people really hate septums lol but as long as you like it thats all that matters. And if later you decide you don't want it anymore the scarring/skin there is hidden.

6. Mazely

Mazely Guest

In my experience septum piercings aren't specifically feminine piercings. You could also go for a scaffold piercing. I have one and i like it a lot. I see a lot of people with them and it's a pretty even mix on percieved gender of who has it. I would stay away from nostril piercings, tongue piercings, and belly button piercings because most people consider those tk be feminine. A bottom lip piercing on either side or in the middle I've seen on guys, as well as eyebrow piercings. I hope this helps!

Cody18 likes this.