1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Helped you with Self Acceptance?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Cinnamon Bunny, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Cinnamon Bunny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not talking about triggers and catalysts that helped you become self aware that you are LGBT+.

Rather, what helped you be okay with being LGBT+? What gave you peace? Was it a long struggle or not?

Not asking for advice, I'm happy with my sexuality, just curious what are the unique experiences of others.

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Cinnamon Bunny....I'm not sure exactly how to phrase this....I had no trouble being okay with being LGBTQ, quite the opposite. For years I felt that I did not fit in anywhere. As a child of the 50's and 60's for a long time I thought that I was the only guy who thought other guys were hot. In my mind I just did not "belong" at all. About a year and a half after I had finally accepted myself, it suddenly hit me that I did belong...that I was a member of the LGBTQ family. I was driving at the time I realized this and had to pull over to the side of the road...the waterfall of tears prevented me from seeing the road. I sat there for almost an hour crying and sobbing, overcome with emotional joy...I had finally found my family, my home. I was LGBTQ and there were many, many others just like me in my family. It's hard to explain how I felt...to feel lost for over 50 years and then to find where I belonged...to find my family....David

Imjustjulien likes this.
  3. psq

psq

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say that in the end it was clearly the social change I have experienced in my short life. When I first became aware of my sexuality it didn't mean anything to me since I was just a child. I never felt the kind of guilt that people describe. It was only after my first same sex experience that I wondered what it meant for family life to be attracted to men. I wanted to get married, have children, as a man, I thought, I needed a female partner to do that. In only 30 years everything has changed. I remember reading Andrew Sullivan and John Boswell in college, back then it all seemed an impossible dream. People were still dying, the Quilt was growing and growing, today, those times seem far away back when Ellen kissed a girl on tv. Sometimes, I wander if today was back then would I now be a married gay man, raising kids, and doting on my husband, perhaps. I am happy that somewhere a young man will do all these things and I am ok with that. My last straight relationship ended in 2014 and haven't been with anybody since. Oh, my has it been that long:cold_sweat:...

Imjustjulien and quebec like this.
  4. wickedwitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello:

It took me about 30 seconds to come out to myself when I finally a) admitted a crush on a woman and b) went to a lesbian club for the first time (they happened at about the same time). I was 18 (it would be many many years before the internet was invented).

I had been immersed in a Catholic milieu and had never met someone homosexual or been to a club or other setting where queers gather so I had no frame of reference for what homosexuality was. So when I walked into that club it was like ding, ding, ding, ding, all the bells and whistles went off and I felt like I had finally found where I belonged. Despite growing up in the Catholic environment I had never truly accepted the doctrine but I had always (quietly) accepted the fact that I was attracted to women, it just seemed like a natural part of me.

So, in answer to your question it was meeting and being with other queers that allowed me to accept myself.

Imjustjulien likes this.
  5. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Understanding what happened to me in my early to mid teen years has given me great peace. It has been a very long struggle. Why? Everyone is different. I had to find what worked for me in obtaining understanding.

Imjustjulien likes this.
  6. Aenima1997

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Although in the very early stages of my journey, the 'light bulb' moment happened over the course of seconds. I am by no means at any kind of peace with who or what I am as of yet, but I find mulling over events and experiences that occurred in my teens and 20s seem to affirm and gratify the emotional investments I have made to get to the point I am at now. Still confused and conflicted, but answers are starting to trickle through. Hope that makes sense!

Imjustjulien and brainwashed like this.
  7. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me it really was meeting other gay men. The journey to self-acceptance wasn't easy for me. I came out in the early eighties, grew up in Utah, and just had no idea what life as a gay man would be like. I looked forward and just saw nothing but this life of shame and hiding. My senior year in high school I tried to kill myself.

Once I decided this was who I was and I had to make a go of it I still wasn't really sure what it would look like. The event that finally turned the corner for me was going to Pride. Pride in Chicago is a huge event (over a million people). It wasn't quite that large back then but, still, bigger than I would have ever imagined. I went to the Parade--alone--and it was great but I was alone and I didn't really meet any one there. But I'd seen a joyful camaraderie there that I wanted to be a part of. So I went to a bar there on the parade route--I ordered Sprite because I didn't really know what to do. And then I told anyone who asked that I had never been to the parade before--eventually it came out that I had never been to a gay bar either. People thought it was great that I had just been to my first parade and they sort of introduced me around, then the people who I was introduced to introduced me around. I think I probably "met" a couple hundred people that afternoon (it's a really big bar) and really hit it off with quite a few of them--I'm still friends with many of them twenty-five years later. Numbers were exchanged, plans were made--principally that I would meet a bunch of them back at that same bar the following Sunday.

I remember riding the bus home that night just beaming at this whole new life I'd found. I also remember somewhere in the back of my mind thinking that surely it was all too good to be true. What if I went back the next Sunday and none of them were there? Maybe none of them would remember me? But almost as if they knew they had to allay my fears, that night two different guys from that afternoon called me to make sure I'd gotten home safe. That next Sunday I was introduced to the rest of the guys who would provide the core of my friends for the next ten years.

What I really needed was a sense of who I could be and what my life could be like and I found it in that group of guys. We were all so different, except we were all gay and they showed me that that could be a beautiful joyful part of a full life. For that I'll always be grateful.

Imjustjulien and quebec like this.
  8. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Being able to make love - to a woman I really like and feel comfortable with - and experience her joy and astonishment about our intimate relationship. Wanting to please her so badly that I lose all awareness of time and my surroundings and inhibitions melt away - all this helps me to accept my gayness little by little....

junebug99, dreamingfreely and Lia444 like this.
  9. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aenima1997 welcome to ECs

Thats how memory and reflection can come back to you. It's absolute amazing.

I suggest starting a journal. Capture these thoughts. From time to time go back over your journal entries and reflect. This can jog your memory a bit.

Makes perfect sence.

10. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Honestly it was moving, coming out and getting a fresh start. I always knew I was gay and I knew I couldn't change it, I never even tried. When
    I moved nearly a thousand miles away, it was like being born again, I felt like a little kid, I had dream again.

quebec likes this.
  11. junebug99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hid from it for years. I knew it was there and I did everything I could to hide it from myself. It took a long time to accept it. And I am at the point now where I don't care what anyone else thinks. I am ok with me. I am comfortable in my own skin. I feel like that part of me that was missing isn't anymore. I could'nt be happier!

12. Twist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My intense dislike for my father.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but the fact he tried to humiliate and shame me into being straight on a daily basis, every chance he got or could make for himself? It really freed me up to be myself.

13. Suomi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I'm a Christian, and I do believe in God, and I'm not going to go into full detail now, but I've had many depressing things happen in my life, the death of my mother when I was growing up being a big one.

I just think for some crazy unknown reason, I was supposed to be homosexual in this life I'm given, and I just have to sadly accept it. Ugh. :frowning2:

#13 Suomi, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  14. YeahpIdk

Time. Took a few years. Sometimes I still run into road blocks, but they're much smaller. It's been almost 4 years - I'm at a comfortable point.

LostInDaydreams likes this.
  15. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Dont be sad, life is too short.

16. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Suomi....I understand all too well, I too am a Christian and the conflict between faith and the reality of being gay has not been easy. We can talk about that if you'd like....David

Suomi likes this.
  17. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am not particularly religious but I am often only reluctantly accepting of this part of me. My girlfriend is a Catholic and she struggles with acting on it at times. I find it difficult when she says that if it weren't for me, she wouldn't be pursuing any relationship. My life and hers would be easier without this for sure....and so would a lot of other people's...but the flip side is that we have never experienced intimacy like it...even if we can't make this work, at least we know we are whole.

#17 Peterpangirl, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    dreamingfreely and Suomi like this.
  18. Suomi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually, if anything it's the opposite to me. I do believe that god made me gay, and I don't have to listen to people that say I'm living in sin. That's their salvation and opinion and it's fine. My god, loves me regardless.

It's really complicated, but I am a gay Christian, and nobody can tell me otherwise.

So why would god make me gay, if he didn't want me to be happy and live as gay? That's how I see it.

19. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Suomi....I do agree with you...it's just taken a while to get there. I know beyond any doubt that I am and always have been gay. Without a doubt I am also a gay Christian and I do know that God loves me. The resolution of faith and sexuality has allowed me to see so much better the inconsistencies between what is spoken, what is written and what is a personal experience that is unquestionably true. I have my beliefs and others have theirs. I am content to let that be the status quo and leave it there. Unfortunately, others are not so inclined. I resist getting into religious disagreements, but there have been times when I have tried to gently point out that thinking you have the only possible truth is unlikely to be true (I avoid calling it arrogant...which it is). Also unfortunately, this has never yet led to a comfortable agreement to live and let live. I vacillate between a.) Just walking away when this kind of conversation starts and b.) Challenging the other person to defend their remarks in the hope of helping them to see that, granting the existence of God, how could a human hope to know His mind? I find it disheartening that a majority of those who do not grant the existence of God also have no quarrel with the LGBTQ+ community. Oh well, life without conflict would be boring! (That is what scares me a little about the traditional Christian concept of Heaven). ....David

Woodswoman and Peterpangirl like this.
  20. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me what cemented my being able to embrace my homosexuality was my first sexual experience with a man. I could never have imagined the passion, sensuality and eroticism of being with another man. In a millions years would I have ever thought that the touch, the kiss, the body contact with another man could be so right. That night I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt I would be comfortable in identifying as gay. I could no longer honestly be straight and bisexuality held no interest for me. With a week or so I had broken up with my girlfriend and was seeing my boyfriend regularly. That night changed my life for good. I have never looked back, and don't miss the old life in the least.