1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Why I Hate Kevin Spacey (and you should too!)

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by StarRunner, Oct 30, 2017.

1. QueerAndHere413

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i partially love ducks but im partially terrified of them.

2. Zakku

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Rapp literally didn't even tell anybody for 30 years if this did happen, so i really question the legitimacy of these claims. Spacey honestly wouldn't even remember it if it did happen ,it happened over 30 years ago and Spacey was drunk to begin with. Personally I do not think there is any legitimacy from the claims.

3. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There is a tendency to assume guilty until proven innocent when it comes to accusations of sexual offenses, and that is problematic. But as I will not immediately assume that Kevin Spacey is guilty and a horrible person, I will also not assume that Rapp is being untruthful. It's word vs. word at this point. It's important to evaluate the entire situation and listen to all the accounts.

And remember that there are many reasons why people don't report sexual assaults right after they happen. Many decide that it will be something they will conceal their entire life. But other people opening up about it motivates them to share their own experiences.

I'm not saying that guarantees it's true. But it's not fair to dismiss it just because it happened decades ago.

4. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Even if there's a difference of 30 years, that doesn't change what he did and it doesn't matter how many times he apologizes, the damage has already be done. I was molested, I wasn't ever apologized to but I can tell you now that an apology would mean nothing to me because it seems that child molestors are never sorry for the things that they've done but sorry that they got caught.

And as if you'd "not recall" molesting a child, the fact that he didn't deny it is disturbing :unamused: If he molested Anthony Rapp, it's better to just come clean. It's not going to change anything but at least own up to your crime.

Zakku, I don't see how not telling anyone for 30 years means that Spacey is innocent. If Rapp was molested, he may have been ashamed to tell anyone, may have felt powerless as Spacey was a full-grown adult and a Hollywood star no less, he is male and so may have felt that his claims wouldn't have been taken seriously...there's a number of reasons. And being drunk doesn't give you the right to assault a child, or anyone for that matter.

5. DoriaN

You're not thinking. The point was never on the morality of the issue, or any excuse to the issue. The issue was, Kevin Spacey says he has no idea if it happened but IF it did it was a terrible thing and he's (as far as we know) genuinely sorry for it. The issue is, after 30 years and at the time being too drunk, yeah, it can be really hard to remember something you're not fully conscious of. I've woken up from a night of drinking where I completely forgot I played a certain game or watched a movie but at the time I only felt a bit drunk and sleepy. The fact right now is it is word vs word, so jumping to any conclusions for or against is basically foolish and conjecture at most.
    The way I see this issue, is it's a microcosm of people's hearts. Those that too quickly condemn and hate, and those that may too quickly dismiss and lack care.

6. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Dorian, what was he doing in the room of a 14 year old? Sexual exploitation of a minor is a serious accusation and to just dismiss it as a drunken mistake is highly offensive. That type of stuff scars the victim for life so instead of trying to defend him maybe you should put yourself into the shoes of the victim for a moment. I'm sure if someone abused me 30 years ago it will be just as vivid and fresh today as it was 30 years ago.

#26 KyleD, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think him coming out is to equate homosexuality with pedophilia.

8. DoriaN

You're not thinking. Did you read what I said? I said if it's true it's very serious and a terrible thing, I never said otherwise so where you got this emotional feeling from is confusing.

#28 DoriaN, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  9. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ever since the scandal involving Jimmy Saville, I think people are much more aware that even celebrities/people of importance can do what most people would consider unthinkable.

All we can do is wait and see what unfolds with Kevin Spacey. Although I also think it's despicable that he would use someone's alleged abuse as leverage to come out as gay.

#29 HerRainbow, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  10. Abdeltyf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is very conflicting.

11. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All I can say is I've been drunk a few times in my life. I'm really confident I never tried to sexually assault a 14 year old. That's totally different than remembering what movie you watched or what you had for lunch. If someone is not confident of that I tend to think the incident may be the tip of a very sordid iceberg. And as far as characterizing it as an incident of he said, he said that's not a fair characterization at all. One person said it happened and the other... apologized.

12. StarRunner

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He's given the worst possible perception of homosexuality. He doesn't deny committing the act, however he 'apologizes' for it while coming out as gay. There is NO connection between being gay and being a pedophile, so his attempt to come out in solidarity with our community is self-serving, disingenuous, and harmful to our community.

Wanda Sykes summed it up beautifully: "You do not get to 'choose' to hide under the rainbow"

13. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Being gay 30 years ago was pretty rough. What happened there was his struggling sexuality surfacing in a moment of weakness ie being drunk. I'm not saying what he did isn't condemnable, but I'm saying there are circumstances. Let's not forget how society used to overtly associate homosexuality with pedophilia. A person's sexuality is a mixture of nature and nurture, and what you hear in the media might tailor its share of your personality.

I don't hate him and neither should anyone.

14. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was gay 30 years ago and I'm just not willing to concede that there are circumstances that are truly relevant to the attempted sexual assault of a 14 year old and frankly I find it immensely offensive that anyone would try to use the fact that they are gay as some sort of excuse for such an act. It perpetuates many of the most vicious stereotypes that gay men have faced.

15. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  16. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    OMG that is so true, he is actually hurting gay men, around my house this is a big deal, and my father says its just one more example of how gay men are all perverts, it makes me feel so isolated.

17. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    F him, a lot of here us have taken it and suffered, a lot of us here hid our sexuality, we didnt try to rape children. I knew I was gay from about 5 years old, I waited until I was 19 to come out and until 21 to be intimate with another man. I grew up in a house where my father believed homosexuals should have their genitals cut off, man I was afraid back then. We all have had trials, but we dont hurt children.

#37 Jackie Ray, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  18. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thats why I know he did it, why didnt he just deny it, it would have been easy and I would have believed him but he didnt deny it. He is a predator and stupid. He always seemed like an arrogant asshole anyway.

19. Ryu

Ryu

20. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Obnoxious edginess aside, I think Milo makes an important point about what Spacey tried to do (i.e. take advantage of the "PC" attitude that gay people can do no wrong). Gay people cannot be given separate standards of behavior because they're "marginalized". Spacey is not "exempted" because he was exploring his non-standard sexuality during a time when LGBT people were less accepted by society.