1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Distance, Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by shadowalex, Oct 6, 2017.

1. shadowalex

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My partner and I have been apart for weeks now, we won't see each other till thanksgiving, then we'll be living together in late December again. It is short term since I'm finishing up my degree.

Does anyone have any experience talking to their long-distance partner about their trans identity? My long-distance communication skills are kinda lacking anyways. I want to keep them up to date on my transition and mental health but I don't want to sound negative all the time. Also they are cis so anyone who has experience talking to a cis partner about gender identity would be very helpful.

(note: I wasn't sure where to put this so this thread.)

#1 shadowalex, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  2. Benny Boi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    From my experience with my girlfriend, the best thing to do is to just tell them. Be ready to explain what you're going through, what you plan on doing (ie Packing, binding, surgery), and just be ready for questions. Directing them to Trans* articles online does wonders for answering questions! And, EC actually has a forum they could use. They could go on the "For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People" or the "Family, Friends, and Relationships" forum.

If your partner wants to break up with you because you're trans, it'd probably be for the best. They need to be able to love you because of WHO you are, not WHAT you are.

I wish you luck with telling your partner! :blush:

shadowalex likes this.
  3. shadowalex

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks. Its better now. At least, I think it is. I am in a space where I am still trying to figure out what I want. So until then I'm gonna work on myself and my own happiness. :slight_smile: Then I can let my partner know what my plans are.