1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joining an LGBT club, woo.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My friend invited me to a meeting for this LGBT club. You may remember that I posted a thread about when I created an online LGBT group, well... recently it seems to be a dead group, but my friend saw it and my posts on there so he figured out that I'm gay and he doesn't want to go to the meeting by himself, so he asked if I wanted to go and I agreed.

I figured we might as well go and see what it's like before we judge it. No idea what the people there will be like, but I suppose there's only one way to find out and that's by going. Hopefully it will be ok, but I really have no idea what to expect.

Of course we'll have to figure out timings and stuff, but still it's forming into something of a plan at least.

Anybody here been a part of such a group before? What was your experience like? Are you thinking about joining one? Ect.

...And, let the thread begin! :slight_smile:

2. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have been part of an LGBT group, and it was nice at first to be surrounded by other LGBT people until I realized how close minded and judgmental the LGBT community could be, it definitely put me off going to the meetings and even spending further time with those people. I would be willing to try it out again, but I am a bit warry now, the amount of biphobia and "anti-straight" comments I had to hear, were shocking!

I hope your group will be more welcoming and more fun than mine was as it was a bit of a disappointment.

#2 Lin1, Oct 27, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never been a part of one in person, so I am curious.

4. Blackangel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm trying to get one going here where I live. My forum has a bit of activity but not a whole lot. If I can get enough people interested I'll try to set a face to face meeting. But so far it's not really happening.

5. Loves books

I'm part of an LGBT society in my college. The last event involved teaming up with the musical society for a sing along version of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. They also had a talk some other night on safe Gay and Lesbian sex and how to make a dental dam from a condom.

6. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not only have I been a part of it, I help run it. We just did a Halloween party/costume contest and we try to get a variety of meetings. We've had serious discussions like coming out stories and depression, we've had movie nights, we've had more instructive meetings like how to do basic makeup for any gender as well as team up with the business fraternity to talk about LGBT people in the workforce. I will say it's not for everyone but it's a good thing to at least try out once.

7. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went to an LGBT group a couple of times but I found that I didn't get on that well with the people there. It was a really small group: only about five people and they were all good friends so I felt a bit of an outsider. Besides being LGBT we didn't have a lot of common ground because they were all arty and musical and I'm more of a maths/science guy. Having said that, they were decent people and it was the first time I'd been asked what my pronouns were, which was pretty cool. I think I'd prefer a larger group that did a bit more rather than just hang out. That wouldn't be possible in my town, but when I'm 16 I'm going to college in the city so I could probably find an LGBT group I'd like more.

#7 Reciprocal, Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2017