1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uncle only ever overhears what I say, thinks my orientation & identity is about being "Hip & Trendy"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Marchocias, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Marchocias

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Quick warning that this is a bit venty! (Swearing is okay though, right? I'm new here.)

After moving out of one abusive household to another slightly less abusive one, I felt safer being truer to myself with others. The family I was raised in was extremely religious and you all probably know the nonsense that comes along with that. Anyway, I'm too blunt in nature and generally exhausted of all the talking behind peoples' back type of shit to shy away from admitting that I'm bi around the extended family I now live with. How they deal with my orientation is infinitely less concerning than how they deal with my mental illness and health, which is definitely more of the major issue at hand.

To no longer digress, my Uncle is the silent stoic type. (I haven't heard him laugh beyond a breathy exhale and he only ever raises his voice to yell.) He's constantly fixed to his phone and laptop, so much so that the world around their screens might as well not exist, and fits the stereotype of millennials you hear far more than any millennials I know. His wife, my Aunt, consistently babies him and dismisses his inability to care for himself as "his upbringing" and chastises him in secret while making no effort to help him learn to care for himself. Just last night he needed someone to help work the washing machine they've owned for probably a decade. You probably see the picture I'm painting here, right?

My Uncle is never in important family conversations, he doesn't even get asked to join our discussions on what we're planning for dinner for the week. So, he's practically picked up that I'm bisexual from overhearing my and or someone else's conversations. Recently, I found out that he thinks my orientation and gender identity is about being "Hip and Trendy". Even funnier is that I'm cis, as far as I've thought about it! So, whenever I've tried to help my Aunt understand her transgender coworker and their situation better, he must've presumed something! (If only empathy was the next big hip trend.)

Perhaps this is more straight up morbid than morbidly funny as I originally thought, but goddamn. When you don't even directly talk to people and ask them questions, who are you to judge that important parts of who they are as a human being is about fitting in? Without even asking me any of the stereotypical questions like "when did you know", he just presumed that I wanna be in that hip trend called more oppression, bullying, fear, and ostracization! As if he's not aware of some of the other shit I've had to put up with in my life. Talk about a head in the sand! :face_palm::rolling_eyes:

2. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Where to begin?

Is your uncle 'special' or has he just been babied/spoiled his who life?
    Either way, he seems detached from reality so, you might want to try not to be so quick to judge him. This may be easier said than done, but try to meet him halfway at least. Get to know him. Since he likes being connected online, you can try engaging him in that way. Find a similar interest. If he gets to know you it should help him to understand that your sexual orientation isn't an attempt to be seen as hip and trendy. Maybe, you could direct him to some good links on bisexuality? Just don't be excessive. A little often goes a long way. I hope this helps you.

#2 PlantSoul, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  3. Marchocias

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @PlantSoul He's just that bad, honestly. He's not detached, he's absurdly sheltered and self absorbed. He expects everyone to buy what he likes at the grocery store without writing it down on the group list because the football game is more important than coming along to shop, we're on meager means and he goes out to buy dinner at the drop of a hat because he can't really cook for himself or doesn't like what we've decided on or just wants to be waited on, he absolutely refuses to try any sort of new foods (he's never had rice) in a safe environment. This is just how he is and has always been. His wife, as annoyed as she is that he's like a literal child, didn't bother to help him learn better when they married and still doesn't. It's all the more infuriating because it's like I'm consistently compared to him and my mental illnesses cause me some disability.

With his abusive and generally demeaning to others actions, there is no reasoning or meeting him halfway. He doesn't acknowledge his wrongdoings, doesn't think he's done wrong at all regardless of the aftermath. I have zero tolerance for abuse of any sort, recently escaping various types from my previous household that he knows about. If you approach him about his actions he ducks behind his phone or laptop or walks away and hopes you forget or straight up blows up in your face. For example: literally two to three days after he was talked to by my aunt about not blasting music in the morning and waking people up, he did it again and I told him that "Hey, we don't blast music until we know everyone's awake." as I passed him in the hallway and he immediately reared back, charged at me, got in my face and space and yelled that he does what he wants. My apology for that has yet to be seen and my cousin tells me to never expect it when I remind him of the event in conversation (he was nearby when it happened and was utterly flabbergasted).

As for him being connected online... He spends most of his time watching online reruns of old 60s-70s television or mash ups of scenes from shows like Married with Children and playing Solitaire. You're likely to overhear text-to-speech conspiracy theory videos or some car accident caught on camera while walking past the couch. Just the other day, he went up to my cousin after falling for Facebook fake news. And I mean fake as in that this is the only year 17 year olds will be able to say they're 17 in 2017 (or whatever utterly stupid nonsense of that vein). And any links or videos I could ever send him will never be opened or watched or read, he'll write them off immediately as he's always done to others.

If life really is a simulation of some sort, I'd absolutely believe that he's a written character and his oddities in and of themselves are curious enough to talk about. I suppose my judgement seems quick, though I really have no interest in getting to know him further or connecting to him in some way. If he can't apologize for verbally abusing me while physically imposing himself onto me, then he's not deserving of my time, cohabitating or not. Geez, this entire thread is just me venting, I guess.