1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

As closeted, how would I go about getting a gay same-sex date in college?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Almost Canadian, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Almost Canadian

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm a 19 year old guy in college, and I allot of times I just spend my afternoon eating my salad in the cafeteria while other people go about their business getting to their classes.
    Everyone is busy so I'm wondering what steps I could take to get to know some people and hopefully get into a relationship with another guy.
    I never knew until last year as to why I never showed any interest in women, but that resulted in me never asking anyone out. Which further complicates things since I have no dating experience whatsoever.
    I'm not even sure how to properly ask someone out. Especially a dude. And how would you know if a gay guy was single anyways?
    Oh yeah, and I'm also completely closeted to everyone I know. Which is a total plus. *sarcasm*
    I've sent some of my online friends photos of my image and I've been told twice individually by two people that I actually look really attractive when it comes to gay standards. So looks are not a barrier at all.
    Just everything I mentioned above is.

#1 Almost Canadian, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  2. SomecallhimTim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If there's a GSA or similar at your school, you could join it or maybe just go to a few meetings. You could be out safely there, and it would be a good way to meet people.

3. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I will caution you that dating while closeted causes problems, because majority (if not all) of people out there looking date don’t want to date someone who is closeted; it puts a lot of strain the relationship.

If you just wanted to meet people, hang out, or make friends, that’s okay, but anymore than that and you’ll run into some problems.

Cheers!

4. Almost Canadian

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm hoping to somehow accidentally come out or hint to my parents that I'm probably not attracted to women.
    I know they wouldn't take the news in a good way since they view gay relationships as immoral, but at the same time, they're really nice people who just so happen to believe this stuff do to their religion.
    My fear is how they will react; I just don't know what they'd do.
    So I might not want to be in a place where they would be able to effect me financially if I end up having to tell them that I'm gay.

On the other hand, I could just be out to everyone else besides my family, and that's a tad risky.

5. Suomi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not necessarily true. Maybe to really stuck up gay people that's a problem. If anything, queer/LGBT couples understand being closeted.

The only thing I can maybe slightly agree with you, is if the partner is in a heterosexual relationship, and they are hiding their LGBT/queer partner. For example, many straight married men have relationships with gay men and are closeted in that sense, or something like that. To where at that point, there potential friction. Yes.

But not being out to your family, or whatever, I don't think is that big of a deal. Well at least I don't. You don't know that persons situation.

#5 Suomi, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  6. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course people can understand someone being closeted. There are many reasons as to why someone may want to remain closeted, and if that’s the situation then we can leave the conversation at that.

However, OP is asking how he can go on a date while being closeted. If casual dates (nothing too serious), is all OP is looking for, then that’s fine. But, if it’s a relationship that he is looking for, this is where he will run into problems; closeted people keep their sexual orientations to themselves, and don’t want people to know.

People go on dates because they would like to share their life with a significant other; transparent, with no hidden secrects. This is not possible with someone that is closeted. The premis of any successful relationship is to be open with your partner and not be afraid to show your affection to each other.

I was also afraid of my parents reaction when I came out to them, since they are also religious, so what you’re experiencing is fair. If you are financially dependent on your parents, then you’ll have to keep in mind your safety and well-being until you can be financially stable on your own.

#6 Jax12, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  7. Suomi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, that's not what OP is. He's just closeted to his family. If he's on this damn forum. he's, not closeted to himself, whatever the fuck that means if he wants to date other guys?

I don't think people should care if he's closeted to his family.

So he can't be in love, because his family is homophobic, that's fucked up.

#7 Suomi, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  8. Almost Canadian

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Actually, I recently got into a conversation with my father, and he told me he'd let me be in a relationship with another guy if I was gay.
    He still thinks it's a sin, but it would be my decision.
    Then he asked me if I was in fact gay, and I found myself struggling to say I was for some strange reason.
    I couldn't seem to bring myself to verbally say I was attracted to men, and instead said I wasn't attracted to anybody.
    Which is a complete lie and now I'm feeling pretty bad about missing my chance to tell the actual truth.
    Now my father has this false perception of who I am currently, and it's all my fault.
    The only person keeping me in the closet is myself because I'm too nervous to tell the truth and admit to myself who I really am.
    To admit something like that in real life would to be to change the very image of what I've built myself up to be for the vast majority of my life.
    And to me, that's terrifying.

9. QueerAndHere413

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    im sorry :frowning2:

"The truth is beautiful and terrible thing,and should therefore be treated with great caution."
    -Albus Dumbledore

10. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’d love to correct and clarify where you may be misinterpreting my post, but that is a conversation for another time; let’s not hijack the OP’s thread.

@OP,

First of all, don’t be so hard on yourself. It’s fair to say that you couldn’t tell your dad right then because you weren’t ready, and that’s ok.

What I’d recommend is working on being comfortable with your sexuality first, and this is without a doubt easier said than done. I found it helpful to surround myself with people who will support me for being who I am. Joining an LGBT support group may help as well. This process takes time, and everyone walks at their own pace to feel comfortable about themselves. There’s no need to feel guilty because of the missed opportunity, it just simply means you’re not ready. Don’t force yourself, be hopefull for the next chance.

For now, focus on coming out to yourself. Don’t worry about who else to come out to just yet, that’ll be the next step. Relationships can come after that, and I’m hoping you didn’t misinterpret my post earlier: even if your parents were homophobic, it doesn’t mean you won’t be able to find love. Dates are nice, I’ll admit, but it’ll make the relationship much more fulfilling when you’ve come to terms with yourself first.

Cheers!

#10 Jax12, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017