1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you feel about Halloween?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Other holidays I get. Christmas is nice because it's comforting, new year is pleasant because there is some excitement for the unknown future. But...Halloween? I suppose it's to add some excitement into the mix, but as someone who is often anxious and jumps to the worst case scenario perhaps a bit too often, I fail to see the appeal at times.

Quite frankly my mind is pretty much a constant horror movie. I'll look at something fairly innocent and my mind decides "Hey, let's throw everything out of proportion and imagine a highly unlikely and terrifying scenario". I've been told that I would make a good horror writer based off some of the nightmares I've told people about.

Admittedly, I have never understood the appeal of full on horror movies. By "full on" I mean not the kind of movies that give you a slight spook that you can later laugh off. I find those kind of movies to be fun. But rather the type of movies that have the ability to psychologically disturb you. I much prefer stories that scare the character, but not the audience.

I've learnt over time that some people just seem to move on from these things pretty quickly. Some people can watch an incredibly gory murder scene and just continue their life singing YMCA like they saw nothing. I wish I had that ability sometimes. If someone even just describes that same scene to me (I don't even have to see it) I can disturbed for years and the thought can randomly pop in my head just out of nowhere.

When I first saw weeping angels in Doctor who, I kept imagining them behind me in the bathroom. Whereas some people can watch that stuff and want to buy some statues. :/

I like things like Ruby Gloom and Nightmare before Christmas, rather than say Saw or Child's play. A playful take on spooky things, rather than something so shocking and grotesque that it starts to make you lose sleep and negatively impacts your life. Maybe it's because I wasn't exposed to these things from a young age, so I'm not used to them and I don't want to get used to them either because that would be a long process and I'd heavily prefer not to lose sleep.

Heck, I can't even get past the start of "Monster House" because the animation was too unsettling for me (the way they move and the faces bother me for some reason...maybe it's the uncanny nature of it all), so naturally I shudder to think what would happen if I watched what people consider to be "proper" horror movies.

When I was younger, my parents didn't let me go trick or treating because they worried that I'd let my imagination run away with me and I'd panic and hit someone dressed as a zombie or something. Considering my behaviour as a child, and the fact I have an over-active imagination to this day, I think that my parents' concerns were understandable.

So, I never really celebrated Halloween much when I was a child. Still don't really. I much prefer Christmas, but there are a few things I like about Halloween, like the cheap chocolate on sale that you can buy once Halloween is over. :grin:

Near Halloween I plan to write a horror story, but I'm going to keep it fairly light-hearted because I don't really do heavy serious horror. It's just not my style. I much prefer comedic horror that scares the main character, but only gives the reader/ audience a slight spook and a laugh. :slight_smile:

How about you? Any plans for Halloween? My plans currently include closing the curtains, turning the lights off, and hiding from trick or treaters in my room as I watch Netflix.

#1 Canterpiece, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  2. Bernice

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No plans this time round and I shouldn't be bothered that much by trick or treaters as I live in an upstairs flat. I used to go Trick or Treating when I was a kid. As for horror movies. I don't like them at all and they stick with me so I avoid them. Yet I have done loads of actual ghost hunts, wondering around old buildings in the dead of night without a thought.
    3 years ago I went to do a ghost hunt over in Germany at Colditz. On the way they showed a horror movie, Grave Encounters, except I didn't know it was a movie cause it seemed like an actual documentary so I thought it was the same as Most Haunted. So when it got scary it really stuck with me even when I figured out it was a movie. I use to have trouble sleeping for months without a light on and use to freak out if I had to get out of bed to use the loo.

Nothing in Doctor Who has ever scared me though, I'm too much of a fan. I may watch a couple of spooky episodes over Halloween and maybe Ghostbusters.

3. Cinnamon Bunny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I love Halloween! But I enjoy it in the same way I enjoy Nightmare Before Christmas. For the fun, quirkiness, dressing up, and even the dark imagery.

I've never been a fan of true horror and have difficulties with sleeping, nightmares, and visuals too (maybe not as much as you). In later years I have found ways to enjoy horror especially subject matter they cover. I do have to be careful about what I watch and how much.

I plan on trick or treating with some friends (I look young enough to get away with it), being at a party or two, probably watch Nightmare Before Christmas, pumpkin carving.

#3 Cinnamon Bunny, Oct 20, 2017
  4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wish I enjoyed dressing up more but I just simply don't.

5. Twist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Halloween is my absolute favorite holiday of the year. Aside from all the fun decorations and costumes (and candy being on sale), it is also the new year in my faith, a time of cleansing and new beginnings, as well as reflecting on the past and paying respects to those we've lost along the way.

6. Blackangel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The origin for Halloween (Hallowe'en, All Hallows Eve, etc.) goes back to medieval times. Halloween is the time of year when the veil between this world and the next is at its weakest. Many believed that the barrier was dissolved on this one night, and the dead returned to walk the earth. So people would put on costumes to confuse the dead. Jack-o-lanterns were originally carved from squash or turnips. Something small, I just don't remember what. The faces were carved into it to scare off any dead that saw it.

As for horror movies, I saw my first one when I was 5. There was a midnight showing of Killer Clowns From Outer Space. My parents didn't want me to watch it, so I sneaked downstairs from my room and watched it alone, in the dark, at midnight. I laughed my ass off the entire time. I personally prefer psychological horrors, or demonic horrors. Some slasher flicks are good, but it seems that directors don't know when to stop making them. Take Friday the 13th for example. At last count I think I came up with about 16. We could have stopped with 3, maybe even 4. But Hollywood won't let go, and has to run everything into the ground. That's my only thing against slasher flicks, for the most part. The other thing I have against some of them, is that they're just flat out stupid. It's like "What the hell? I actually spent money on this?".

The writings of Poe would make really good psychological horrors. He knew more about insanity, hate, depression, and the dark side of human nature than anyone ever has.

#6 Blackangel, Oct 20, 2017
  7. Flowey

I love it for the spook of it. As a little kid, I had always liked horror movies. My cousins and I used to huddle under the blanket everytime we watched scary movies, and it was so much fun!

8. Loves books

Halloween is more for kids they get to dress up and do what we tell kids not to do. Take candy from strangers. I only watch scary movies during the day with the curtains open surrounded by sunlight. After watching the scary movie I watch a kids movie so I don't end up falling asleep with the last thing I think about being a Possesed kid. I don't need the nightmares. I never watch anything scary when it says based on a true story. I get the whole religious angle but I never celebrated it as a religious holiday. The only scary movie I actually like I'd Hocus Pocus and that doesnt really count as scary. I wouldn't mind dressing up but I have no reason to.

9. Blackangel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always have a Halloween marathon. The movies back to back. It's a tradition for me. But I watch them at midnight with the lights off for maximum effect.

10. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I don’t care much for Halloween. It is now a regular day for me. I do like the idea of going to a Halloween party though.

11. kayaz

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I love the dressing up part but I'm not so great with real horror :/

12. Necrose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love it. Don't dress up anymore but might if I dated someone who wanted to. Giving out candy is more my thing these days.

13. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was more enthusiastic about Halloween when I was younger and was able to dress up and go get candy. Now that I'm past the age where people would find it strange that I was out asking for candy, it's become somewhat of a "meh" holiday for me.

Now I mostly stay at home, watching It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, The Addams Family, or Nightmare Before Christmas and give out candy when trick or treaters come by.

14. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We don't celebrate Halloween in my family/friend circle. I guess where you live plays a huge role in whether or not it's celebrated. As for horror movies, I enjoyed watching SAW (I've seen SAW 1-5, but not the rest, however many there are). I've watched a few other horror movies, but mostly unrealistic ones. Meaning, stuff that won't necessarily happen in real life. But ones that can happen in real life, like someone who sets out to murder people, scare me more. I've watched Final Destination 1-4, and that scared me too. One Missed Call, though not actually realistic, also scared me. I don't go out of my way to watch scary/horror movies in general. I've seen Paranormal Activities but it was later declared that it was all staged/not real. Still scary though.

15. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dislike all holidays equally and do not celebrate any of them. I treat Halloween like any other day, do home and clean/do homework/watch TV.

16. Bobsleigh1

Bobsleigh1 Guest

I like the aesthetic. Horror movies can be fun. Sweets are tasty. Haven't dressed up in years though.

17. Justinian20

I'm actually very much a horror movie fan. I love the savage gory horror for me comedic horror is not a like I want to see brutal stuff in horror.

18. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Halloween is a fairly bizarre holiday when you scrutinize it. In fact, it may be the most bizarre holiday celebrated by mainstream America. Whatever its origins in paganism and All Soul's, it now seems to be a day where we confront the "scary" and glamorize it. I find that rather than Halloween seeming scary itself, it makes light of it all, and injects fun into it. It pulls the mask away (contradictorily). As a kid I enjoyed it very much so: the decor, wearing a costume to school, the candy. Now I enjoy the Halloween-themed episodes of my favorite T.V. shows and I even enjoy handing out candy if I get the chance. It's a fun day for children as long as they are safe about it. And it can be a day of drunken carousal for those in college. I certainly went to my fair share of Halloween-themed...um..."get togethers". :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It's bizarre, but I've always liked it. Many holidays veer into the gushy, but Halloween is one where fear is the primary focus, and I like to see that.

#18 Libertino, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  19. onlyhuman33

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only the greatest Holiday EVER!!! Ok, that may be a bit of exaggeration. But it is my favorite holiday. I don't necessarily know if it's the holiday itself, or just the month of October. Fall is my favorite season. I LOVE running in the fall time. The air is so crisp and I love the smell. Oh yeah, I should clarify by saying I live near the country, so yay, clean air!!! Then all the pumpkin EVERYTHING!!! This may be a little over done, but when it first was a thing, we LIVED for our Pumpkin Frappes!!! APPLES everywhere!! Yummy!! The color of the leaves as they turn. And yes the hee-bee Jee-bees are abound!!! Dressing up? Meh, ALTHOUGH this is my first Halloween as a female, which could be A LOT of fun. But alas, we have no parties this year to go to. So, maybe next year. CANDY is never a bad thing. That's why I run the rest of year!!! So I can have Halloween Candy!! JK :slight_smile: And the GREATEST REASON FOR LOVING OCTOBER... My wife's birthday was on the 5th and my Mom's on the 6th!! 2/3 of the greatest women of ALL TIME (my daughter is the other 1/3)!!!

Happy Halloween Everyone!!! :slight_smile:

20. GalleyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Me and my friends used to always have halloween parties! They were quite small and homey, everyone would dress up as something awesome, e.g.: The Morrigan (Irish goddess of war and fate, usually associated with death), a black widow (they had a cobweb inked on themselves in careful black eyeliner), Posh vampire, Shadowhunter, Vampaneaze (for those darren shan fans), evil doctor, corpse bride, sorceress, demon (painted completely red), etc. We always have cakes with a halloween theme, a meal, some music, and sometimes a movie. This year I'm in uni! So gonna dress up but have slightly smaller affair with flatmates, some decorations and cakes.

P.s. I do love the aesthetic of Halloween and ghost stories most of all! Also THOSE ANGELS IN D.W. WERE TERRIFYING! That was one of my greatest childhood fears. Also Nightmare before Christmas is a great Halloween film :slight_smile: