1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College freshman dating post-grad student?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Creativemind, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I need some advice on this. I have found someone I may end up being able to date after all, but I am a bit insecure because I am a freshman and she is post-grad. She seems to not care, but I've grown up being told that relationships are healthier if the stage of life is the same.

What is your opinion? I am not a traditional freshman- I am 27 years old, and the post-grad student is 25. So there is no real age gap and we both have developed brains. I am more mature than my 18 year old peers, so it's pretty weird to see myself with them, but I always felt insecure about dating within higher education as well in case they were waiting around for me to catch up. I was surprised I got messaged by someone like this, but she seems interested and likes to ask about my classes and what I'm doing.

I'm unsure whether I should ask her out, so let me know your thoughts :slight_smile:

#1 Creativemind, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Creativemind,

What does your educational status have to do with it when you are so close in age - and thus life experience?

It sounds like you really like her and she seems interested. So what, exactly, is your hesitation about at least exploring a relationship with her?

#2 Quantumreality, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  3. canadawet

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really don't think it should be much of a problem, especially when your ages are so close together. It might be different if you were much younger and pursuing a relationship, but you're only two years apart. This eliminates the difficulties that could arise from it because usually when people are saying that "stage of life" thing, it just means age gaps. (And even then, relationships with age gaps are capable of working out just fine too.) I feel like it isn't necessarily something to worry about, and if it becomes relevant I think you have the choice to either let it be a hindrance or to learn from one another.

4. TheMudcrab

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't see the age or "stage of life" thing being a major issue. From my experience, the biggest challenge in the situation you described is going to be time. Post-graduate work is very time consuming, and Freshman year is also hectic with trying to learn the school, internal politics, etc. I'd say go for it, but I'd suggest being flexible with schedules and such. I know when I was post-grad, my average "work week" was close to 80 hours.

5. Lia444

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hell yeah go for it! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    25 and 27 is a good age gap. For 27 the lowest is (27/2 = 13.5 + 7 =) 20.5yrs and the eldest is (40/2 = 20 + 7 = 27) is 40yrs.

7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I don't really think it's an issue as you say you are not an 18 year old freshman. Go for it

8. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    40 seems way too old for me lol

But yeah, the advice in general is good. Helps a lot.

9. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why should you be insecure about not having gone through college yet, people who take normal classes date people 2 years ahead of them in classes in highschool, or more, all the time.

10. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Who came up with this math.
    It tells me.

(Age/2+7)= 16/2 + 7 = 15

(Age+13)/2+7) = 29/2 + 7 = 21.5

11. Cinnamon Bunny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There are a lot of couples with one person in college and the other not. This happens a lot especially if one goes back to school later in life for that career change while in a committed relationship. Most people don't start college, much less graduate, in the same time frame. So it's almost expected. IF it's an obstacle, its an obstacle many couples deal with and end up fine. You guys are 2 years apart, which is insignificant at 27. So I think you're fine.

12. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Am I correct in assuming that she's a graduate student (= "post-grad") at the university? The only big concern would be if she was, for example, a TA or otherwise employed by the university, as part of her program, in a position that gives her authority over any undergraduates (responsible for calculating/submitting grades, supervising/evaluating students in some other capacity). If that's the case - or if she was actually your TA or otherwise in charge of you as a student - then I would be very careful, because she could get in phenomenally big trouble, depending on the university's policies in that area.

On the other hand, if she's not in an evaluative position over students, she at least wasn't *your* TA, or otherwise isn't in a position where her status in the university could cause some sort of conflict (or if she isn't a student at all anymore), then I don't see it as any cause for concern. :slight_smile:

PatrickUK and Chiroptera like this.
  13. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @Myclosetisfull

Lower age: [age]/2 + 7

There is another way of working out the higher age, but I cannot do it, so I just use trial and error until I find the age that has their age as the lowest.
    It's really just guidance, and when both people are over 18 it doesn't matter so much. And despite the rule, many people think it's okay for a 16 and 19 year old to date.

I'm 19. My lower limit is 16.5 and my upper limit is 24. But I'd only date those between ages 18 and 22.

14. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Creativemind, you better go for it! You deserve to be happy, and she deserves you.

15. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's really quite smart. I'd give a math student a good grade for that solution.