1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anime

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Blackangel, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Blackangel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see people here posting about their favorite anime and all sorts of anime discussions. But what I haven't seen is anyone talking about not liking it. I'm not trying to say anything negative about those that enjoy it. More power to you. But I have never liked anime. At best it bored the hell out of me. Am I an anomaly? Or is there one other person that agrees with me?

2. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm really into HeroAca 2nd Season right now. I don't usually watch airing anime, but this one is real action-packed

3. kenn

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Damnit the hype is real,my hero academia is awesome

#3 kenn, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  4. Loves books

I watch Pokemon and a bit of Sailor Moon. I only watch sailor moon because I never saw it as a kid and I heard there was a lesbian couple who were changed to cousins in the English versions. I'm glad there not really cousins because I never looked at a cousin like that. I tried watching other anime and even two lesbian ones but they were just too weird. The stories make no sense and I even get a little grossed out occasionally. I'll watch one or two kid ones I find on Netflix like Glitter Force but I also watched a different kid one that was also weird and disturbing.

5. Loves books

I watch Pokemon and a bit of Sailor Moon. I only watch sailor moon because I never saw it as a kid and I heard there was a lesbian couple who were changed to cousins in the English versions. I'm glad there not really cousins because I never looked at a cousin like that. I tried watching other anime and even two lesbian ones but they were just too weird. The stories make no sense and I even get a little grossed out occasionally. I'll watch one or two kid ones I find on Netflix like Glitter Force but I also watched a different kid one that was also weird and disturbing.

6. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm curious about which anime you watched. Like live-action productions, there are good and bad anime out there ranging from G all the way to X-rated. They also cover many different genres from drama to action/adventure and scifi. I think a lot of what makes it good or bad comes down to individual tastes.

I like anime, but then I'm very selective about what anime I watch. My main go-to's are Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Gundam (the Universal Century timeline is the best) and Ghost in the Shell. Those four are probably among the best anime out there. I was really into Dragon Ball Z when I was a kid, but after the Cell Saga the series started getting weird and I lost interest in it.

There are some things that do bug me about the medium. Sometimes the comedy elements come off as more stupid and goofy than funny (this likely being the result of my American sense of humor not jiving with Japanese humor). My biggest criticism of the Gundam franchise is that there are times where it will beat you over the head with it's strong anti-war message, often to the point where characters will devote a multi-minute speech to the horrors of war and the benefits of pacifism (Gundam Wing, I'm looking at you).

7. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Usually people like to enthuse about what they enjoy, rather than bash things (unless they are an internet troll). This may be why you see what seems to be overwhelming positivism for anime. I personally really enjoy it, but it is not for everyone.

8. Theshreks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You might just be watching the wrong stuff. There's some really good stuff out there.

9. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Which two lesbian ones do you mean? I've seen most lesbian-themed anime out there.

10. Loves books

Revolutionary Girl Utena and Yurikuma Arashi. The second one was disturbing.

11. Flowey

I used to like anime a lot more than I do now. I've watched more any anime I can remember and I know exactly what I don't like about a lot of them. The characters talk too much, too many monologues, the damn flashbacks, the harem, the tsundere, the stock phrases...despite all that, there are still stories that captivate my attention.

I do enjoy Avatar which is a western Animation inspired by anime artstyle. I can't say the same for anime inprired by Western animation: powerpuff girl Z, wolverine, Sticht!.. They all just feel off.

12. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Love them both! Utena is one my favs and Yurikuma Arashi happens to have an amazing OST

13. Loves books

I've recently watched a lot of Maria Sama Gu Mitero. Which apparently means something like The Virgin Mary is Watching You. I like it even though the self esteem levels of most of the characters is dismal. The shy young girl thing is kind of overdone too. I went to a catholic all girls school and I only wish some of us were as gay as these girls come off as. I also think some of the characters are attractive. If they were real life people it wouldn't be half as weird. I also wish Pokemon were real. I really want a Pikachu or a sylveon.

#13 Loves books, Nov 26, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  14. Shoei Loei

Shoei Loei Guest

I’m not generally a huge fan of anime, but there are a few that I’ve enjoyed. I grew up watching Pokémon, which will always have a special place in my heart (though I don’t really watch it anymore). More recently, I’ve watched Mushishi, which was really chill and peaceful to the point that I wanted to fall asleep, making it hard to thoroughly watch (the art is beautiful though). I also recently watched Akira, which I really liked (I’m hoping to read the manga because I like comic books and graphic novels, and I like the artwork of Akira, so I figure I might really enjoy it). I also saw a few Miyazaki films as a kid (Kiki’s Delivery Service was one of my favorites growing up). Avatar is forever my favorite, although some might not consider it to be true anime, since it’s technically American (but it is inspired by anime style, so some of the elements are there). I also remember watching Samurai Jack as a kid, but not sure if that’s technically anime, or if it’s also American made. Some of my students really enjoy anime, so they sometimes recommend me to watch anime shows they like. So far, my students really enjoy Dragon Ball, Naruto, Inuyasha, Samurai Champloo, Ghost in the Shell (but not the live action versions), Miyazaki films, and Death Note....they recommended I check out Death Note next, since I’m not an avid anime watcher, they say that “Death Note” is a good one to watch.

As far as liking anime or not, that’s totally up to personal taste. It’s okay to love anime, and it’s okay to dislike it, depending on your interests. So I agree with Kodo that most people will discuss things they really enjoy, rather than put down or discuss why they dislike something.

#14 Shoei Loei, Nov 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2017