1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning on Coming Out to family...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CreepsBme, Oct 12, 2017.

1. CreepsBme

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm planning on coming out to my family on Halloween but they are super Christian.... I wanna do it by staying at a friend's place for the holiday and setting up a letter just before I leave..... I'm scared... what do I do? Any Tips? This is eating me away It's just torture not telling them...

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey it's ok take a deep breath. I think it's a good plan if that's how you feel most confident to be at your friends, does your friend know your plan?

How do. You expect your family to react?

3. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel you. I only came out about my sexuality because it was at the point of desperation to hide it, and only to my dad who i was fairly confident would not react bad. Yeah i'm the asshole that came out via text message, but it was the only way i could get the courage to do it - i came out at work on break. It had reached the point where adulting and life were super stressful and i was in the closet and i just needed to tell someone. And doing it like that, i could have the time to gather my emotions and figure out precisely what to say back if i needed it, which was reassuring. Afterwards we talked face to face, and that's something i would not have been able to do otherwise. So if you need distance and a friend to be able to do it, there's no shame in that. Does your friend know about your plan? I feel like your friend should probably be informed, but that's your decision.

#3 AlexJames, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey that doesn't make you an asshole, I did that too. It doesn't matter the method if it feels right to you.

5. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks. I really need that reminder, cause i always feel like the "Don't break up over text" thing probably applies to coming out too.

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really don't think so. Breaking up is different, you are ending a relationship you have made with someone. Coming out is just informing someone of something about you and fundamentally it is just about you. Their reaction is their own.

7. CreepsBme

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ya my friend knows, but I might bail... My mom just gave me a lesson about being gay and a christian.... I told my grandmother who was very accepting I feel a bit better that I told someone in my family but it still doesnt change the fact that my brother was kicked out and I probably will be too.

8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's important to understand that there are many different ideas and opinions about what it means to be gay in Christianity. It largely depends on how one reads and interprets the Bible. Many Christians see no contradiction whatsoever between their religion and homosexuality - I'm one of them.

If you haven't already composed a letter for your parents, I would suggest you look at some of these for inspiration: http://emptyclosets.com/home/pages/resources/coming-out-letters.php

In your letter, try to include a link to PFLAG (a support organisation for parents of LGBT people). If your parents can look at some good resources on the PFLAG website, or better still, make contact with PFLAG before talking to you, it might help a lot.

Let us know how it goes.