1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you eat expired food?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lawrence, Jul 25, 2017.

?

Do you eat expired food?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    73.3%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agree with Twist. I will eat food that has passed "best before", but not "use by".

Best Before is guidance to the consumer, while Use By is a food safety instruction.

#21 PatrickUK, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  2. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unless it's gone bad, yeah.

3. RemileahScarlet

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me it depends on the food, but usually I wouldn't.
    If it's something like cake or biscuits, I'd eat it unless it has gone stale or bland. I'd never take a gamble on dairy things like milk or cheese, no matter how it looks or smells, and I I never eat food if it's past the 'USE BY' date.

4. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As a general rule of thumb I never eat something that has gone past a "use by" date. This is especially for dairy and meat products as they can go bad quickly past those dates. I am more flexible when it comes to "sell by" dates as usually these dates are when a store needs to get them off their shelves, not necessarily when they may start turning. Generally boxed foods like cereals, crackers, and processed foods like candy bars stay good for far longer than dairy and meats.

5. Slater

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think some food manufacturers sometimes print an an expiration date that's too early in order to get you to throw it out and buy more. Same with drugs/medication.

The problem with milk and other daily products is that you never know for sure if it has been handled properly once it's shipped to the stores. I've had milk go bad a week before the expiration date, and other times it's been good for days after.

Eggs are tricky because you can't tell if they're okay without breaking them open. I think it's said that if they float, they're bad.

Yogurt is an exception. It tends to separate and get kind of nasty as it's expiration date approaches.

Does anyone know why organic milk seems to last much longer than regular milk?

6. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely.

First of all, if it says "BEST before" then it's still good to eat after that date. It's not going to harm your health in any way, it's more of a quality thing. The taste or texture might be slightly impaired, that's about it.

I'll avoid eating chicken or fish past it's use by date, but red meat that's a little out of date seems fine to me.

And cheese basically is moldy milk even when its in date so if you've got some in the fridge that seems all right, then go for it.

7. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, but I watch out for meat products. They have the potential to give really bad food poisoning. Other things that I watch out for are cans. They can also cause serious cases of food poisoning and with my condition I don’t want that outcome.

But to be honest, I’ve eaten way too many meals that looked, smelled, and tasted funny and so far not once I’ve gotten food poisoning. Every half-moldy bread.

Although, once I threw away a can of tuna because it had a very strong metallic taste. And ironically the last time I got food poisoning was from a very fine tasting pastry. I couldn’t stop puking for two days.

8. Suomi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Depending on what it is. Stuff like crackers and peanuts and stuff like that, are fine to eat past the expiration date.

Things like meat and dairy and stuff. No I wouldn't chance it.

9. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I sometimes drink milk that's just past the expiration date. Dairy is usually good up to two days past expiration date. But I smell it first. If it smells funky, I avoid it.

10. hyacinth girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, but not meat or fish. I eat eggs, dairy, breads and fruits and vegs as long as there's no visible mould or funny smell