1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"What makes us FTM Trans Men" Article

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by AlexJames, Oct 17, 2017.

1. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    http://ftm-guide.com/what-makes-us-ftm-trans-men/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2704567/

What do you think of this article? I was googling ways to explore my gender and stumbled upon the link for this in another article. Does any of this hold ground? Have you read about it before, is it verifiable or...what's the word...like has it been disproved or not? I forget the word i'm looking for, but like has it been backed up or disproved by science and what do you think of it overall. I found it a good read, very interesting b/c I've wondered myself if a lot of things, like sexuality and gender, are rooted in the fetus' development in the womb.

Edit - googling provided the second link, which appears to have the actual study in it.

#1 AlexJames, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  2. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't read the whole scientific article, but it is a very interesting premise. I have no doubt that pre natal hormones are the key. I found it interesting that the blog article mentioned that a lot of children in the womb at the time of the Blitz turned out to be transgendered due to the stress on the mother. Thanks for sharing!

3. Cody18

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The general consensus of the LGBT community is that we are “born this way” so I think most would believe it has something to do with our development in the womb. For example I’ve heard people try to explain homosexuality by saying it is the hormones one is exposed to in the womb, and I’ve also heard people try and explain it as an evolutionary occurrence so we do not become over populated but no one knows what the exact cause is yet, just as we don’t with someone being transgender and honestly I don’t think we’ll have a conclusive answer on the matter for a considerable period of time. (Although it’s worth noting, the evolution side falls down a bit when it comes to bisexuals.)

I read the article and will go back and read the study itself later if I have time to do so as it definitely intrigues the psychologist side of me. However based on what I briefly gathered, the female monkeys were displaying the behaviour typically shown by the male monkeys after being exposed to hormones at certain times whilst in the womb. The issue I find with this is that as humans, we’d most regularly regard this as someone simply being gender non conforming, not transgender. So to me it doesn’t seem very concrete, but that’s just my interpretation/view of it.

newts likes this.
  4. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I didn't look up the part about the Blitz to verify it, but i think if it is true it makes sense. My mom got pregnant with me as a broke college student living off one real meal a day and whatever her my dad could bring her home after work. So she was under a lot of stress, to say the least, and i was born early too, so i have always suspected that something in the womb plus stress can cause things like being ftm. Yeah the actual scientific study was too long for me to finish reading, but i found it very interesting.

5. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah that was my issue with it too. Monkeys aren't humans and as such, they can't communicate something concrete to us like body dysphoria that would indicate truly being trans and not simply gender nonconforming. I think what's most interesting is the generic proposal that perhaps in humans, something similar may happen. The actual study is more in depth too, referencing the process of socialization in children too.

I saw a youtube video (didn't get the citation/source) but in it it said that in twins, if one is gay then the other has a 70% chance of being gay. But idk where they got the info from and i didn't save the link.

#5 AlexJames, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  6. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know that's my irrationality, but the idea of stress that might cause transgenderism in children make me perceive this condition as a "mistake of Nature". "Something wrong went in the womb", a transgender little girl said once.
    Well, I don't like the idea of being wrong, a sorrowful mistake that will probably be corrected by evolution with my strong refusal to reproduce "naturally" therefore passing down my genes. Ehm... honestly sometimes I think that but I don't like to think that.
    Ahh. There are two paths of thought: one is concentrating on the anthropological / psychological / social nature of gender, de-pathologizing the condition, embracing (at least partially) one's initial biology; another is concentrating on the medical / physical and troublesome side of being transgender and... just... barking to Fate.
    The fist path seems happier and healthier, but the second one seems the truest. Truth or inner peace?

AlexJames likes this.
  7. denouement

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    There are a few similar studies out there indicating that trans folks had different hormone exposure in the womb than cisgender folks. Of all the theories I've read about this makes the most sense to me. There are also several older studies, mainly focused on trans women, which indicate that trans folks' brains are more similar to the brains of cisgender folks of their gender than their sex. From my non-scientist view these studies line up with the hormone theory, providing some proof the brain did develop differently than the body.

There's no final conclusion from any of these but they're interesting to read.

AlexJames likes this.