1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grateful for what?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by DAXIII, Oct 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DAXIII

This is a reply to the attitude of gratitude I read about and they suggested to make a new thread instead of hijacking another.

To be honest, I don’t think an attitude of gratitude solves the issues of life. It might do it for the small ones, but not the deeper ones which are full of thought and piercing claims.

Thoughts like how it’s not mandatory to stay alive, you aren’t obligated to keep on living. To me making a good life made sense if you had to stay alive until the end, because you might as well enjoy the ride while you are stuck here. But if you aren’t “stuck” if you don’t have to be here, then why continue?

Or thoughts about the void. The inherent meaninglessness that surrounds us all. That we are simple specks in a vast and indifferent universe, that we cry for meaning and get nothing but silence. It’s one thing for the writer or painter to look at a blank space and feel anxiety. It’s another to look at life itself and see the inherent emptiness of it all.

To me being grateful is a luxury of a first world issue. It doesn’t really solve the issues that plague people. I don’t really have anything to be grateful for. I stay alive out of some phantasmal obligation but who knows how long that lasts. I don’t have friends and am too strange to really have any. I have a mind that doesn’t stop pondering big questions and doesn’t allow for ignoring things that contradict me. There isn’t anything to be grateful for. The only silver lining is thy being gay has gone from a curse to being indifferent (for the most part). But I wish my issue was dealing with being gay. That at least has an answer.

Even though the later I go on in life the less keen I am about the opportunities available to me because I am gay. Too odd to be with anyone so I hide and smile and be polite, don’t say anything to rock the boat. Not even the same brand of odd that mainstream sometimes sees the gays as. Having exhausted the resources in my area and turned up nothing doesn’t help either.

Life just seems so long. Like an road with no end. There is no goal or objective duty to perform. Now it’s just counting the days until death, and holding out hope that there is better than here.

Hushhh likes this.
  2. justaguyinsf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hear you. You sound like someone who needs a life philosophy with a bit more "beef" to it than just "think positive" or "it gets better." People have struggled with the issues you have mentioned for millennia and have found many different ways to give their lives meaning. You might want to start exploring these philosophies and religions.

3. DAXIII

I wish I knew where to start.

4. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It seems that you come from the perspective of nihilism and that you are searching for meaning in your life. I went through a similar period where I reconstructed my life's meaning after deconstructing my programming from early childhood (including the idea that being gay is wrong and the heteronormative norms of our society).

Gratitude and appreciation are practices, like meditation or yoga, that help you start your day with a positive outlook. If you actually tried them instead of dismissing them of out hand, you might discover that it would help you counteract the meaningless around you, for the practice helps you identify and reinforce areas of your life that are meaningful to you.

What do you want to get from posting here on EC? Are you just looking for opportunities to be a contrarian, which has been my experience with you so far, or do you want to make some changes in your life? What outcomes are you looking to achieve?

#4 SiennaFire, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    baristajedi likes this.
  5. DAXIII

Gratitude practices don’t work, period. In my case it’s not about gay being wrong like it was for you.

I’m trying to seek advice, but I have to respond with the same retorts that my mind gives.

You don’t understand that yoga and meditation are for when things are good, they don’t solve the serious issues like when one has “gazed into the void”. From my studies, a positive outlook is fiction. It’s expecting things that don’t come. If all you have is “an attitude of gratitude” then I’m afraid you aren’t going to be much help for me. This is a philosophical issue that has plagued me for years. I liked that someone said there were philosophers that tackled this and found some answers to it, but I wish I knew where to start with them.

6. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're right. Our styles don't match. Good luck and good bye.

baristajedi likes this.
  7. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This one sentence makes it pretty obvious that you haven't read any of the foundational texts of either practice. That would be where I would start if I were you.

baristajedi likes this.
  8. DAXIII

I actually have, since I am quite familiar with eastern philosophy. But they don't really solve the issue with nihilism though. Plus their philosophy does require a bit of "faith" which is not something I am comfortable with. You should understand that such practices are religious in nature and require certain beliefs that any rational mind just squashes.

9. DAXIII

As I said, it is a philosophical issue.

10. Mr B

Ok, Dax, if you are looking for a logically deductible foundation that explains existence in general you are unlikely to find it because there isn't one. Existence is inherently irrational and paradoxal and therefore, no one has ever succeded in making logical sense of it, in spite of so many historical attempts. The universe is here, each one of us is here, period. That's all there is. Now, what this means and what you want to do about it, it entirely up to you. Some people kill themselves, others embrace hedonism, others adopt a conventional lifestyle, some retire into a monastery, others dedicate theirs lives to helping others alleviate suffering, many do a bit of everything, you name it. There are infinite ways to live this one life we've got. Do whatever you want to do out of it!

Hushhh likes this.
  11. DAXIII

I guess you are right. Life is fairly crazy and there are different responses to it

Hushhh likes this.
  12. Jrockcold

For what it's worth, I am with you 100%. Gratefulness is a myth. It is something made up by people that are already happy to further perpetuate their awesome, wonderful, super, amazing lives onto others. In other words, if they can be grateful, Why can't you?

13. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    DAXIII if your looking for a point to life; here. Live! that's it Live. do the best you can, make challenges opportunities. im not grateful because im awesome. not even close. im grateful because i've been in real darkness, years of abuse and i didnt get out of that alone or because im super or anything, i got out because im alive, because i reached out for help and accepted it when it was offered. if i'd said i wanted help but didnt do what professionals and friends suggested, guess what? i'd of stayed where i was, i would not have grown or be where i am now, im not some Pollyanna i've walked in very dark places and i came out. not unscathed by any means, but i came out and i am healing, i am growing. if you cant or wont reach out and accept help, you tend to stay exactly where you are. for some people they are happy being miserable, personally i've grown beyond that. i encourage you to reach out and accept.

Choirboy and baristajedi like this.
  14. DAXIII

That doesn't really answer the question as to why one would choose that over death. It also doesn't explain why you got out when death would have seemed like a better option. Why do the best I can when living isn't mandatory and everything I have ever done is forgotten upon my death

15. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

For some people suicide is real, this is not a joke. Is this your form of cruel entertainment? Do you know what it feels like when someone in your life commits suicide?

16. DAXIII

I'm kind of numb to the subject and thought of someone killing themselves, because the thought has been in my head for at least 5 years right now. I wake up each day with it, and look to the bliss of sleep each night. Some days are less grim than others, but it is something I have lived with. The only thing that holds me back is the fact that most suicides are not successful and result in you being hampered in some way.

I've been hospitalized for it as well, though to be honest I just said whatever I had to so I could get out. That's a place people go to die and I will never go back, NEVER.

So I am intimately familiar with it, it's my daily reality. I understand why people take that step off the ledge, life is hard and sometimes it's too much. The promise of something better is just a hope.

Hushhh likes this.
  17. Hushhh

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Being grateful is subjective.
    Thanks for the mind-tickling thoughts :slight_smile:
    I am grateful for you DAXIII, for you speak your mind, I sense great intelligence in your questions, I hope you find the answers you're looking for.

But mind you, people who quest to unlock the secrets of the universe don't die happy, and on the contrary many fools die happy.

Crying out for help comes in different forms, seek it, hang on to it, whatever you pefer, and perhaps there'd be something you'd be grateful for, for whatever reasons you choose. Being greatful for things that happened, things that didn't happen, things that will and won't happen, and all other tenses.

As for me I'm grateful for this day, I'm thankful for different kinds of people, for the optimists and pessimists, for the contrast in life, the wonderful mystery that is life.
    I am grateful to exist and waste space as of the moment, I am hopeful to make the change I need. For all of these and more, I am grateful.

18. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Words like Dax's that leave children without fathers are not words I'm grateful to hear. Some people lose people to suicide and that leaves a chasm of pain. Talking people out of hope is not speaking your mind, it's cruel.

I should add it's also not very clever. Dax may be intelligent, perhaps, can't tell. These posts by Dax don't give me any glimpse of intelligence, just a lot of words playing at being clever.

#18 baristajedi, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    Hushhh, I'm gay and looking for me like this.
  19. rosemarythyme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    A lot of spirit in that sentence. Is that what makes you carry on?

Also have you read any Nietzsche? I haven't but I believe he found a way out of nihilism somehow.
    I've been a nihilist in desperate search for meaning since childhood. Finding a negative in every positive situation is one of my great talents. I'm gradually finding that the only answers to the big questions that satisfy me and don't seem flimsy and too superficially cheerful have to be hard won through experience, they can't really be shared or put to words. And sometimes I do feel gratitude but not when somebody else tells me I should. It has to come unexpected and shine through all the gloom almost despite myself. Those experiences truly hold water. It also sometimes seems to me that paradoxically the quest for meaning might be the meaning we are looking for. So keep asking the big questions and don't leave any stone unturned!

Hushhh likes this.
  20. rosemarythyme

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I've thought of something else. I've been in therapy for a few years now and sometimes when I'm deep in a nihilistic period/depression or whatever it becomes almost like a game with the therapist. As if I'm testing how much negativity can she take before offering some hope or optimistic thought (which of course I'm bound to reject with gusto). As if I want to know - can someone really, truly, completely accept me like this, in all the nasty black despair and not try to change me into something chirpy that's easier to handle? But that's not philosophy but psychology.

This may not be relevant to you at all, I don't know. I just want to say I find your posts refreshing somehow.

#20 rosemarythyme, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    Hushhh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.