1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being gay in a heterosexual marriage

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by maggiemag, Sep 27, 2017.

1. maggiemag

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello,

I came here in the hope of finding some like-minded souls who could share some of the pain associated with being in a straight relationship as a gay woman.

My male partner and i have two preschool aged children and have been together for 7 years. About 8 months ago i fell in love with a woman who is also in a heterosexual relationship, it shocked me and turned my life upside down, she too felt a connection with me and we very quickly became best friends. We would flirt with each other constantly but during the 8 months we never had the conversation about being attracted to the other one. i didn't tell my partner.

During our friendship we have shared some extremely deep and personal information with each other, i trusted her so much i told her things i've never told anyone before. She had a personal circumstance and i supported her through it, i was loyal and confidential.

Last weekend whilst drunk i told her how i felt, she held me and said she had the same feelings and that if we were gay we would be together. I was so happy but so confused, however when i saw her a couple of days later we went for a long walk in nature, she told me she had told her boyfriend what we had discussed.

I was extremely upset, because in telling him it meant that he was the priority and she was not committing to me, and i was terrified that my secret would get out and my partner would find out before i was ready to tell him. Since that time she has written to me to say that she is going to stay with her boyfriend, and that shes accepting herself as a straight woman who can appreciate the beauty and desire of others.

I feel so hurt that she has betrayed me, i trusted her so much and trusted her with this secret that was so personal and she couldn't keep it. I'm so angry with her for flirting with me, and even after i told her i had feelings for her, continuing to flirt with me and show a romantic interest in me. And i'm sad that i've lost my best friend.

I've decided to not continue our friendship, it's too difficult to want something you cant have, and i feel so hurt by her actions. It's been incredibly hard letting go of this, but also it's given me so much clarity in my life and feelings.

I can look at the picture of my sexuality and what it may be with open eyes, i can make decisions based on myself and my feelings not based on how i feel about another person.

I still don't feel like i am ready to tell my partner, although i'm fairly sure i'm gay i don't feel ready to come out yet.

One problem i have, that maybe others can help me with is the fact that i've never been with a woman, in respect of my partner i do not wish to cheat on him to experience this, so how am i ever to truly know? it feels like i have to come out and upset my entire life and that of my children before i can even know what it's like to be a with a woman.

I feel so empty, and disconnected to my current life, its so hard to connect with my partner but there is something missing, a great big empty hole in my chest that can't be filled.

Would love to chat
    x

Leela80, Nullis, mattblack and 2 others like this.
  2. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Maggie,

It sounds like you're going through a very difficult time. I've very sorry. On top of dealing with your changing idea of your sexuality, you're dealing with the rejection of a good friend. Either one of those would be enough for one person.

You've come to the right place, however. If you read around, you'll quickly see that there are lots of (me included) who left heterosexual marriages in order to come out and live their truth, as the saying goes. Many of us (not me) have children. You are not alone.

I understand the quandary you're in. And you're not the only one asking that question. I'll tell you what I wrote elsewhere--when I was exploring my one sexuality, I read that if you're even questioning your sexuality, then you're most probably at some level attracted to the same sex. People who are straight--really and truly straight--never question their sexuality.

Part of being gay is the sexual attraction to the same sex and part of it is being emotionally open to the opposite sex--being able to enter into the same kind of intimate relationship you would with the opposite sex if you were straight. It seems like you've already had that sort of connection with another woman, so that might be something to consider.

And of course, I don't want to suggest that being gay is an all-or-nothing thing. There's a whole range of expressions and feelings.

For me, however, when I came out, it was the moment I decided to stop lying to myself. As soon as I decided to be honest with myself, I knew I was gay.

I'm glad you're here. There are lots of us here who understand where you are and can listen, sympathize, and offer advice (if you want it).

Z

maggiemag and Imjustjulien like this.
  3. Stuck42

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was in almost the EXACT situation and it just ended a week ago. I am married happily to my husband. I love him very much. I met a woman who is also married but her husband knew she was curious. We hit it off right away..she became my best friend. We did become intimate which kills me that I did it, but I needed to know. She led me on letting me think she and I were in a relationship on the side of our marriages. She then slept with her best friend and I was heart broken. She told me that she can’t be with me because she wants to be free to see whatever woman she wants and have fun. It was way more serious for me. This was 8 days ago. I am in mourning almost.

I never want to leave my husband, so I guess I identify as bi at this point because I had ZERO reservations on being with a woman. I completely understand what you are saying. If you want to chat further please feel free or you can private message me. It sucks, it hurts and it’s soul crushing to say the least.

maggiemag likes this.
  4. SweetSoulJulia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    OMG, this could have been written by me. I can 100% relate to what you're going through and how you're feeling. I'm married with two young children, fell in love with J, and had a friendship SO similar to what you described--intensely personal, deep and spiritual. We never shared feelings but J clearly is uncomfortable with whatever same-sex attraction/connection she feels and completely backs away when she can't handle it. She too is married. She knows I'm bi and I think it scares the crap out of her that we have the connection.

I totally sympathize with the heartache and I keep a distance from J as much as I can (we're still have to remain in each other's lives). Like you, it's too painful to remain in the friendship when those feelings are there.

As for what to do about your marriage...my advice to you (and it's JMO)...is to TAKE TIME to explore what you've learned from your experience with this woman. There is no rush to exit your marriage and uproot your children's lives because you fell in love with a woman. Stick around these boards and you will learn a lot about yourself and what direction you should head in. One thing I've learned from here is not to impulsively end a marriage because you suddenly discover you're attracted to the same sex. It's a HUGE decision to make and it's worth it to sit with it a while before taking action. Maybe a therapist could help? I see one and it's really helped me figure things out.

Hugs to you!

5. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your situation is agony. I know because I - like you - fell profoundly in love with a woman whilst married to a man.

I suppose it comes down to whether you are able to reconnect with your partner - in an emotional and intimate way. Did you fall in love with your male partner once? How did those initial feelings compare with the initial feelings of falling for a woman? Be honest with yourself. Were there any differences? For me, even though I was never able to act on my feelings, I actively wanted to do things to and for the woman in question - both generally - and, I had to admit to myself - sexually. I began to crave intimate contact with a woman and recognise that it was a more general need than just with that woman. Specifically, I felt congruent with the expression " make love to" in a way that I secretly never had with a man. That was a very painful piece of self-awareness. I had never so much as kissed a woman.

Now, things have moved on. My life is a very big mess in many ways. But I am seeing a woman. And I can tell you that I still feel congruent - and comfortable with very intimate aspects of making love - in a way which I never managed in all the years of my heterosexual life. You may not have acted on your feelings, but feelings are not to be discounted - they deserve serious reflection as they will help you work this aspect of you out.

#5 Peterpangirl, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    Anthemic and maggiemag like this.
  6. maverick1

I too can relate. I’m a man married to a wonderful woman. While I have not met anyone, I struggle with my identity every day. Hugs

maggiemag likes this.
  7. maggiemag

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    All your beautiful messages made my cry. Thank you so much for everything you have all said, i consider every word that was written and am truly grateful. It's such a lonely place to be in isn't it? i long for the support of my friends and family but know that for me, the next person to speak to has to be my husband. So i have continue to suffer alone and silently. I do not feel ready to speak to him yet.

The depth of the relationship i had with this woman is beyond any one i have ever had with a man, although we were not together sexually, we shared an intimacy i have never felt with another person, and it is this loss that is so profoundly painful. I know she felt the connection as well as she told me i was the most important friendship she has ever had, i still have a fantasy that she will change her mind and want to be with me but i need to let that go and move on. I need to work on myself and come to terms with my own feelings without the reliance on another.

I very very disconnected from my children, they are very young and very demanding, yet i feel no interest in engaging with them at this time, i feel terribly guilty for this and am trying so hard to enjoy them and play with them but i am just so distracted and long for the times that i can be alone to consider my thoughts. And the guilt of telling my husband is too much to bear, i am his rock and he would be so upset if i left him. I find myself wishing he would do something terrible so i have an excuse to leave him.

I am seeing a therapists which has been profoundly helpful, she suggested i attempt to engage with my children and my partner more, to do activities that help me to feel important, in an attempt to see worth in the life i am living.

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences, i am so pleased to have found a like minded group, keep talking to me xx

8. Stuck42

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The woman I told you about that I had a connection with..we ended it 9 days ago. I finally had to walk away, she wasn’t making me happy. But..it made me realize that there is a side to me that will never go away. I can’t tell my husband, or my kids. They would never understand and my husband is the most gentle soul, I don’t want to hurt him.

I fell in love with this girl, we had a connection that is unlike anything I have EVER felt before. It was like magnetic..I wanted to touch her every second I could. But..we were never going to leave our families. She wanted to be free to see other women and talk to as many as she wanted. I couldn’t handle the way it made me feel (jealous, mad, sick, guilty). So I said some things to piss her off and she blocked my number and all social media. That was 9 days ago. Today, out of the blue she texts me. I’m devastated. I was starting to feel ok without her and BAM, she came back. I haven’t answered her yet. I don’t know if I should and see why she is reaching out now? Or ignore it and continue to heal. I love this woman. She does not return the feelings. She wants my friendship but I don’t think I can JUST be friends after all of these feelings. It’s a lonely lonely place to be, I agree. I feel for you 100%

9. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, the loneliness. It feels like it will drive you insane, doesn't it? Sharing the information helps, but it is difficult for others to relate to an experience that they have never had. Write down your thoughts or find a way of recording them such as painting. Try to do things that make you feel good - to eat properly and take exercise. Carve out time for you. I too have been distracted from the duties of mothering and have struggled to give my children the focused attention they need....and this makes me feel guilty. I also feel guilty that I have been unable to make my marriage work - unable to rekindle the physical aspect of the relationship. In December, it will be a year since my husband and I decided to separate and yet we haven't told our children because there is no change in our physical circumstances yet. But we must face this soon. Not only that, but my husband wants me to tell them that I have now started seeing a woman. The woman I am seeing is in a similar position to myself and this was one reason why we are drawn to each other. It is a crazy, complicated situation now, but I do now know that it is not "just her" (my catalyst) and that I feel very comfortable and tender in an intimate relationship with a woman....

#9 Peterpangirl, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  10. maggiemag

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Why have you decided to take so long to tell your children? and stayed with your partner for so long after telling him?

11. maggiemag

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    God i just feel like telling everyone, i feel like such a cheat for not being honest with my friends and family. But i like the idea of being gay- i love the idea of walking down the road with a woman, of living my life so out there and liberal and free. Men absolutely bore me. I feel the most femine when i think of being with a woman.

12. maggiemag

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That sounds so complicated and hard, why have you chosen to never tell your husband? Can you live the rest of your life the way you are? I feel like i'm about to explode! Can i ask what her text said? How impossibly hard it would be in your circumstances, you love her, you want to be with her but know you shouldn't and then you have to resist her contacting you!

13. maggiemag

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you, such a great advice. I'm someone who does things quickly and sometime irrationally, i need to take the time to process and consider, to heal from my broken heart and learn more about myself and the direction i wish to travel in. What stage are you at in your story? are you going to tell your husband?

14. Nullis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I so much understand what you are going through, our stories may not be identical but if you ever want to talk let me know, they're pretty close. I know how hard it is, it's like the perfect little life hurts because it feels wrong for some reason or something. It's so hard to know what the right thing to do is. Stay strong sister.

15. Mabel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This struck me.

First of all, you are not a cheat. You learned new things about yourself organically and that is how it happens. Give yourself time to think on things, be kind to yourself. You have the right to open yourself up to loved ones when you feel it’s a good time. Most likely, you will get there. It seems very much in your personality to do so.

Secondly, loving the idea etc. the drive to want to be open and live a life like this. That’s a huge clue. I first came out to my husband as bi, I really thought I was. Eventually, over a span of a few years and many deep conversations he told me that he would be ok with me having a relationship with a woman he knew I had feelings for. She was married too, her husband was not aware though. I knew she loved him very much so everything felt balanced. There were many other clues to me not being bi once this relationship started, I put off listening to them because I knew it could mean losing them both. The feelings you mentioned above though were my biggest clue. I didn’t recognize those feelings until almost three years into the relationship. I noticed that on our trips away where we were free to be open as a couple how really completely I could feel all of who I was...it became apparent that the need for me to have that life was what felt right for me. I didn’t want to have that life with a man but with a woman. She didn’t feel the same. She would want that kind of life with me but it didn’t have to be with a woman for her. She was happy in either scenario. I discovered I was not. Realizing this difference is what made me look back at all the other clues in our relationship.

Of course this devastated me because indeed for me to live my truth it could mean losing them both. That’s when I got a therapist who was well versed in all aspects of sexuality and she helped me work through all my feelings. So turns out I am most certainly gay. My husband and I still care for each other very much and are working through the motions of separation and possibly divorce. I also broke things off with my gf of four years about two and a half weeks ago. We are also trying to maintain a friendship, my shift just brought to light discrepancies that couldn’t be resolved for her and I. My heart is breaking times two.

Still I have to be honest and true to set any kind of example for my daughters. I’m moving forward, slowly in grief, towards being open about who I am.

I’m not saying you are for sure gay. I’m just giving a little food for thought. Because what I’ve learned is there is a difference between bi and gay or even mostly gay. You just have to listen to your heart. Give yourself time to heal first. Just don’t ignore what your heart wants. That voice is there for a reason.

Stuck42 likes this.
  16. LittleStargazer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've seen so many thread's like this one that I made a standard answer, you can read below in my signature.