1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two questions in one: 1) Demisexuality and dating 2) Demisexuality and marriage

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by LetLoveIn, Oct 6, 2017.

1. LetLoveIn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I haven’t dated a lot. Only two stamps on my dance card that were both short-lived. My being in part demisexual is a recent development (and may explain why my first relationship was so dysfunctional).

So, how do I date and develop strong romantic bonds while being demi? Our society puts so much pressure on relationships becoming sexual from the get-go and it baffles me how. I personally can’t imagine sharing my body with someone who I don’t know and don’t trust completely.

That ties into the second part of this. I don’t date just to do it, I date to find a spouse. I’m not a serial dater and only have serious relationships. I’m curious when do demi folk bring up marriage? I know everyone has their own timeline in which they’re comfortable with it, but I was just wondering if anyone had some personal insight on this.

Also, please be kind when providing advice. I keep having bad experiences on this site (mostly when I’ve asked in Anon) when I’ve sought guidance. TIA

#1 LetLoveIn, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  2. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How do you date as a demisexual? Very carefully!

... OK, that's kind of a lame joke. I suppose the longer version is that it's a combination of honesty, being careful, but also being willing to push your own comfort zone just a little.

Or at least that's what it was like for me. I dislike the label "demisexual", as I don't think it's useful much in daily life. But I will only develop feelings for people I am alfready friends with. And I will only be willing to sleep with people once there is trust and exclusivity.
    Not that I don't have acquaintances who are hot and friendly and totally my type, but if any of them would offer me a wild night, no strings attached, I'd turn them down in a heartbeat. Just not how attraction and affection work for me.

So how did I find a boyfriend? It did start by honesty. Got talking to a guy, kept hanging out with the guy, established that mutual interest was a thing, and decided to actually move to dating. But always being clear that I'm slow to be comfortable with the next step. That I wanted to move further alright, but that I also had to be comfortable with the next step before taking it.

Above all, I never focused on what I didn't want. Nothing is less attractive than a list of stuff that is prohibited. If you're not comfortable with something, you're not comfortable with it, but you don't need to give an hour long expansion on all the reasons you're not. That only drives people away. Focus on what you DO want to do together!
    No, I didn't want sex just yet. But how about we add an extra date tomorrow to hang out more?

On the other side of the coin, you SHOULD be willing to go somewhat out of your comfort zone. Attraction is always a bit weird. There is no omen or heavenly chorus that will sound and tell you that you are now fully ready. You'll be nervous and wondering whether you're doing the right thing whether you wait for three dates or three years. I know what I'm talking about here, because I DID wait for three years and was still a nervous wreck before sleeping in the same bed xD

So do be willing to try a step further if everything is going well. Doesn't have to be from holding hands to full sex in one night. But there's a ton to try out in between those two. Which will keep you both invested. And will sometimes clarify things more than endless self-analysis.

Some prospective dates might not like this. Some might see it as a dealbreaker. But in the end, it's not as if it's any different from other reasons that might come up in the course of dating.

As for the part on marriage... I'm not sure I can help you there. My boyfriend and I agreed early on that marriage was on the table. But not for now. It was just never really an issue. But maybe others have other insights!

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    By honesty, and finding people who feel the same. It may seem hard to find, but how do you know if you don't try?

4. Skibby1989

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I too wonder about this, but I'm also demiromantic and polyam so I'm kind of in an odder situation than either of you. Not to mention being too shy to even think about talking to a girl I'm attracted to...ugh.

5. LetLoveIn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This made me feel a lot better! Made my way of doings things feel normal!

I'm currently talking to a guy who I met on a dating site and he brought up how sex would work and getting through that conversation was hard. He essentially asked me if I'd have to be "in the mood" to give him oral... yet I'm still talking to him. It truly is hard to find people who understand how demi works.

6. LetLoveIn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm definitely trying! They are few and far between though. :frowning2:

7. LetLoveIn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That's why I go the online dating route! Less pressure than fact-to-face. :slight_smile:

8. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, I think another problem is that online dating is more hypersexualized and rushed. I online date more frequently than IRL,and I've had bad experiences with it.

#8 Creativemind, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  9. LetLoveIn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Depending on what sites you use (I'm not allowed to name them due to the rules here) and how you present yourself, you can, unfortunately, find people who want just sex or to rush things. In the nearly 5 years I'm been doing it online, I've only used one site because typically it has more commitment seeking people. Also, because of how the site matches you up, it's easier to tell who just wants to bone.