1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Realistic is it to carry on a same sex relationship while still in a heterosexual marriage?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by LilaBogen, Oct 7, 2017.

1. LilaBogen

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My husband and I had a talk about my sexuality last night. His position remains what it has always been throught our 15 year relationship - if I need to be with a woman to be happy, that's fine.

I've always been faithful to him, but I have been thinking lately that maybe I don't have to be.

How realistic is it for me to continue my marriage and have a secondary relationship with a woman? I would be looking for someone very specific. I would try to find someone like me - in a heterosexual marriage, maybe even with kids, where her husband has also said it's ok to be with women.

Any thoughts as to whether this can be done and how to find such a person?

2. BosiMalkia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, you will be like the million other lesbians that are in relationships with men lol but are not honest about it. A lot of girls discover/reveal their sexuality when they happen to be in a straight relationship. You have the upper hand because he is already aware of your sexuality. I hear/see this all the time, so I think you will be fine as long as every party knows about the situation. Online would probably be the best because you can ask or just look for those that have similar situations.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Authenticity is everything in a relationship. If you can't be honest with both your husband and the person you are dating, you are doing yourself and the others a huge disservice.

4. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't know how easy it is to find married woman who is in exact same position as you are, at the same level of her own acceptance as bi or lesbian, and on top of that having her husband supportive of her relationship with you. I am sure it is possible though..
    Another question - how do you think your relationship will be with your husband and ate you really going to be able to be emotionally involved with another lady and give 100% to your husband as well?

5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's possible to do and nothing wrong with it as long as everybody involved is aware of the situation and ok with it. My biggest concern would be once you've met this woman and started the relationship you both realise that it's each other you want and check out of your straight relationships.

canadawet and dreamingfreely like this.
  6. Redwinerox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would have the same feeling if my wife wanted to be with a women. I’d be fine with it. Unfortunately my wife doesn’t share the same sentiment toward my male desires. She is not fine with me exploring my MM desires. So, because we don’t have an open marriage I’m stuck living my desires in fantasy form. I have known people in open marriages and some work and some didn’t. That’s my one cautionary comment about acting on your desires. I do share your feelings about finding someone in the exact same position as you. I’d love to find a guy that I could hang with and develop a passionate relationship. But alas, it remains unrequited. I wish you luck in finding your special lady, just make sure your husband is in on the facts so no secrets or feelings of betrayal. Cheers.

7. Twist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As long as everyone is in the know about what is going on, I don't see why there would be an issue. There are definitely plenty of people out there that are interested in both open relationships, as well as poly relationships.

#7 Twist, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  8. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think we all want it to be possible, but recognize that it's something like balancing a pencil on its tip. Yeah, theoretically there is a stable position, but it's so hard to balance. The problem is that in the beginning, a new relationship is so intoxicating that you want it to be everywhere and everything. If you can avoid those shoals, you have a chance.

Peterpangirl likes this.