1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does depression ever go away?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Boudicca, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Boudicca

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey, all. I've struggled with depression (and anxiety) pretty much my whole life. I could have periods where I feel pretty ok and I think I'm done with the depression, but it always comes back. I just don't know if I can handle this for forever.

2. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It can definitely be managed, and you have hope. Those suffering from depression can go on to live fairly content and happy lives, even if it takes time and effort. Many people with depression go into remission, and that's usually the goal.

Yes there may be periods where things fall back a bit again, but with some work you can learn to become better at helping yourself when those times come. It may be more difficult than those who live their lives without depression or anxiety, but it's still worth it and very possible.

Do you see a therapist or take any medication? Are there any support groups you may be able to access? Sometimes it helps a lot to reach out or find ways to be able to better manage the low moods and anxiety.

#2 Alder, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  3. Boudicca

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for replying.

I had taken medication for my depression and anxiety in the past. It helped, but I quit about 3 years ago. Guess I felt better.

I've never been to therapy. I've thought about it, but I chicken out each time. I was forced to see a counselor a couple of times (long story: basically had the cops called on me for "suicidal ideation"), but I didn't really get anything out of it, because I felt I was being punished, which didn't leave me very open to accepting help.

Lately, I've been thinking of trying therapy and going back on medication, but I keep getting nervous about it. I'll be kicked of my parent's insurance soon, and I just don't know. Will seeking treatment mean I have a "pre-existing condition" that won't be covered by insurance?

I do feel like I've developed some coping strategies from my previous bouts of depression, but I've been too busy and stressed with school to really implement them. I think that's what makes it even more frustrating, because I should be able to fight this better by now.

4. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It’s always good to talk about it with a psychologist, because they specialize in this field of work.

I was on meds for a little over a year, but went off of it because I felt ready to be on my own again. During that time, I’d see my psychologist every 2 weeks, and it really helped.

Depending on where you live, you might be able to claim a portion of the cost for the session with your psychologist. The next time you go, though, don’t back out of it. Follow through. The 1st session is usually the hardest. Another thing to consider is whether this psychologist fits for you. If you don’t feel comfortable sharing your feelings with him/her, if you can, find someone else.

5. aussielefty

I think its different for every one, for me I also have suffered depression my whole life but now on meds to help
    me deal with stuff that I'd normally wouldnt have delt with better , before , If you know what I mean.
    I think if you dont want to go the therapy route, I have tried and worn out many therapists in my town !!!
    Go find yourself a really good doctor who actually sits and listens to you. Much better (and cheeper!!) than a theripist anyday!
    my doc sits and we talk for a good 25- 30 minutes each time im there, she's wonderfull, there have been days when I just bawelled my eyes
    out in front of her, I dare say I probably woudlnt be here today if it werent for her kindness and compassion.
    So many docs just write a script give you a few pills ,five minutes if your lucky.
    good luck..