1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I find a professional for help?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by AppleJacks, Oct 4, 2017.

1. AppleJacks

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Long story short, I have been dealing with an increasing number of issues for the last 3 years. At the ripe old age of 21 I have finally lost the last person that would listen to me. There is nobody on this earth that I am close with. I have some family that I could maybe speak to, but we have never been close and they don't live near me. In a situation like this, I understand that the one thing connecting all of these people is me. I am the problem, and that is why I am alone. I have decided to find some type of professional counselling so I can sort things out, but I have never done so and I am scared. One of the major sources of stress for me is that I am unsure of my sexuality, and I don't want to end up meeting with a therapist who doesn't feel comfortable talking about that. For anyone out there who has talked to a professional about your sexuality, or about anything at all, do you have any tips?

Thanks

2. loepis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Let me share some personal tips based on my own experience:
    (1) Whenever possible, try to look for therapists who are LGBT-affirmative. It would definitely make a difference when you talk to someone who understands your standing better. Google is your friend
    (2) There will never be a right time (at least for me). Once you find a therapist that seems like a good fit, make an appointment and be there. Once the appointment is made, I will have no choice but to follow through
    (3) Don't be afraid to say "pause" if you feel that overwhelmed. My counselor was patient and kept on reminding me that I always have the option to take a break every once in a while
    (4) Be open to make efforts to introduce changes in your current situation for the better
    (5) Plan in advance on what to do / where to go after the session is over, you may not in the mood to think too much after the therapy

3. Cinnamon Bunny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Psychologytoday.com has a search for therapists. Not all therapists in your area will be listed there, but its a very good starting point. There's a filter you can add to search for those who see lgbt clients. All therapists are suppose to service all kinda of people though, and should not treat you different than any other person.

A google search with your "therapist, your city, and your state/country" will help you find practices with additional therapists.

Some therapists have a wait list and it tends to get harder to find an available therapist around the holidays. So get an appointment sooner rather than later.