1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How has your music taste changed over time?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Lawrence, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Throughout our lives our taste in music can become broader, narrower, remain relatively the same, change dramatically several times, and so on

Anyway I especially want to know if you had different faves over the years. Please feel free to link YouTube videos of songs you were/are particularly fond of!

What were your fave music artists or music genres as a child?

What were/are your fave music artists or music genres as a teenager?

If you're 20 years old or older (share your age if comfortable doing so), then what are your fave music artists or music genres nowadays?

2. Blackangel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a child, country and bubblegum pop.

As a teen, plain rock.

Now at 35, metal and rap. The heavier the better. If it's not brutal as hell, I probably won't like it.

3. Blackangel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also flat out love Celtic music.

4. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most definitely. I come from a huge family with a lot of siblings and some are much older than myself and therefore, I was raised on rhythm and blues and gospel music. However, I always hung around older people and my older siblings had boyfriends or friends who enjoyed talking to me or introducing me music genres that I was not accustomed to hearing in my household.

5. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What are some of the most brutal songs you know?

Do you like House music and/or Hard House music?

6. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't really remember as a kid, but as a teen I went through several phases (most notably classic rock, old school pop, and 90s alternative).

Now days my favourite genre would still have to be 90s alternative (and also really love extremely underground 90s indie rock), but am a lot more varied (pop, country, new rock etc). I'm currently fucking obsessed with The Smiths/Morrissey.

7. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pop/mainstream catchy songs. Usually the stuff I hear on the car radio. Also Disney songs, stuff like that.

Alternative, rock, indie, more hardcore stuff as well. Pop punk kind of vibes. Mayday Parade, Neck Deep, Of Mice & Men, La Dispute, and more.

If you're 20 years old or older (share your age if comfortable doing so), then what are your fave music artists or music genres nowadays?

I'm not 20 or older but my tastes have sort of changed since a teenager; I do still listen to some stuff from before but I also listen to more indie folk-ish, alternative pop (?) kind of artists like Sufjan Stevens, The Mountain Goats, Bleachers, The 1975, etc. I also like Bruce Springsteen.

8. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Oldies and classic rock. Mostly whatever my parents listened too.

In high school I was really into punk rock. The Ramones, The Clash, Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys, plus all kinds of newer stuff like Less Than Jake, Pennywise, Face to Face, Dropkick Murphys(still love them), Flogging Molly, and Rise Against. I still listen to a lot of that, especially Dropkick Murphys and Rise Against. I also got into classic hard rock/metal like AC/DC, Metallica, Guns n Roses, KISS, Iron Maiden(who I still really like.) etc.

I was a metal head for the longest time. Disturbed, Avenged Sevenfold, Volbeat, Bullet for My Valentine, Sevendust, Godsmack, Metallica, stuff like that. Over the past year though I've mostly stopped listening to stuff like that and I'm more of an indie and alternative rock/pop girl. Cold War Kids, Silversun Pickups, Cage the Elephant, Young the Giant, twenty one pilots, Fitz and The Tantrums, The Lumineers, Fall Out Boy, Echosmith, Imagine Dragons all that kinda thing, as well as older bands I've been into since I was younger that fit that style/genre. Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, blink-182, and Green Day. I've also been a fan of 90's rock and grunge for years, and really love Nirvana.

#8 BrookeVL, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  9. BadassFrost

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I remember I really liked Depeche Mode, since my dad always played their songs when travelling by car, so I started to like them thanks to him. Basically I liked almost anything that my dad listened to. Also in general I liked more calm songs than today. And I enjoyed some electronic music, and I like it to this day.

Mostly rock, metal and electronic music. My music taste changes a bit from time to time, but always contains at least one of these genres. My favorite music artists and bands include: Rammstein, Marylin Manson, Horkýže Slíže, The 69 Eyes, Foo Fighters, Project Pitchfork, Nightwish, Kabát, Skillet, Tokio Hotel, Worakls, Xindl X, Waterflame, Tata Bojs, and more...

I'm 18 so I'm not there yet. But I'm curious how things will change.

10. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a kid
    All 60s and 70s music because that’s what my parents listed to.

From 11-20 I went from hard rock to extreme metal and everything in between.

Now at 27 I like almost anything with even a small bit of substance.

11. Umberson379

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well i used to really like a bunch of rap and pop you'd hear on the radio when i was younger like 11-13

But more towards my teens like 14-16 i found indie music more enjoyable. I just felt like the people could sing about whatever they want without having to worry about getting censored. It just felt more genuine to me at the time.

Now that i'm 18 i guess i don't really have any fave genres but i really like Mystery Skulls, Melanie Martinez, Justice †, Brock Berrigan and a bunch of oldies. So in short i'll listen to just about anything except for country and rap.

12. NeonSocks

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Growing up, my musical interests were very heavily influenced by my family. I adored Grandma and my older cousins so whatever they liked, I in turn liked. I guess I formed pretty eclectic tastes as a result. My Grandma introduced me to the Statler Brothers (we watched them every Staurday night when the Cubs weren't playing). John Denver and the Carpenters were favorites of my parents, especially around the holidays. And somewhere along the way I developed a love for Gloria Estefan.

I am almost embarrassed to admit that as a teenager I decided that Limp Bizkit, Korn, and Kid Rock were the highlights musical prowess. My dad did eventually introduce me to Glenn Miller and that tamed me down and brought me back into a more normal rotation.

I am 31 now and my eclectic taste in music has evolved, but not entirely changed. I love Indie Singer Songwriter music along with Alternative and Folk genres. The heaviest played artists in my rotation these days are The Smiths, Tegan and Sara, Beta Radio, Dawes, Milk Carton Kids, and Fleet Foxes.

13. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As a kid:
    I listened to The Beatles (and each member's post-beatles work), The Who, Queen, and Plink Floyd almost exclusively. I had never heard anything else until I was maybe 9 or 10, when I started listening to top 40 stuff on the bus to school.

As a teen:
    My tastes have certainly expanded. I have never lost my love for the oldies, and that's expanded to classic rock and rockabilly-type stuff. I honestly think modern pop is crap, but I still listed to stuff from around 2010-2012. I also listen to several metal subgenres, notably power metal, symphonic metal, djent, and some early metal. I also love broadway, the more melodic side of dubstep and techno, and I'll sometimes listen to the less aggressive/grandstanding type rap.

20's
    I'm not there yet, but I'm curious as to whether my tastes will continue to expand so dramatically or if my horizons will shrink going forward.

14. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes I do and I have quite a bit of that genre in my music library

15. Justinian20

Hmmm, now this is a fairly interesting question for me

As a kid:
    I listened to a lot of 80's style pop music and rock music and some really random and very old probably 1950's to 70's songs that I don't understand why I even liked them as a kid.

As a Teenager:
    Two parts, early teendom was mainly pop diva's such as Gwen Stefani, Britney Spears, Madonna, Cece Peniston, Jennifer Lopez and a few others. Late Teendom was a change into rap and hip hop(this was basically the period where I tried to uphold a more masculine identity with myself so I listened to a lot of rap and hip hop).

As an Adult:
    At 23, I listen to Indie music, I listen to some mainstream pop basically a return to the pop diva's plus popular art pop artists like Bjork and Kate Bush and even though this might be a bit of stretch Lady Gaga. I also listen to a large variety of electronic music, since I do like the variety in the electronic music scene, I listen to a little bit of hip hop and rap(very different to my teen music taste because I'm not trying to act masculine in any way. Finally add in the glory of metal without growled vocals(so plenty of power metal, some folk metal, some symphonic metal and even if I can say so, some gothic metal(growling is okay if another of the vocalists is clean)).

So yeah you can tell which period I really came out of my shell in terms of what I actually like, but I still wouldn't say I like everything since some subgenres I dislike.

16. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As a kid:
    I didn't really listen to music much other than what my folks played: mainly Classic Rock from the 60s and 70s and Country.

As a teen:
    I started breaking out of my shell and trying new music at tail end of my teen years. I started getting into late 80s, 90s Alternative, and some of what was popular in the early 2000s. A few groups I listened to were Matchbox Twenty, Nickleback, 3 Doors Down, Nsync, REM, and Genesis.

As an adult:
    I'm now 29 and I've found that my music tastes haven't changed very much since my late teens and early 20s. I primarily gravitate towards Classic Rock, 90s Alternative, and Jazz. My top favorite artists in those genres include Hootie and the Blowfish, REM, Aerosmith, Sister Hazel, Collective Soul, Live, Miles Davis, Vince Guaraldi, Van Morrison, Cat Stevens, and The Beatles.
    I have also started getting into a few current artists such as the Avett Brothers and Kaleo.

#16 Elendil, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  17. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As a child I'd probably listen to what my parents listened to which was RnB and a bit of chart music.

As a teen I listened to a variety of stuff like rap, music in other languages and a lot more chart music.

Now I'm 26 and listen to mostly chart music but I like a variety of other artists that perhaps aren't as well known.

18. GalleyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Kid: Gonna sound a bit strange but Frank Sinatra and Tom Jones
    Older Kid: Florence and the machine, some indie music and some pop
    Teenager: Alternative rock, indie and folk pop
    Now: Pretty much the same, but less folk and more nightcore

19. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Holy handguns, I almost forgot about this thread. Thanx everyone for all the 'new' posts!

20. Ryu

Ryu

>as a child
    Whatever top 40 garbage was being played

>12-13
    Pop rock (e.g black keys, arctic monkeys, the kooks, etc)

>14
    Classic rock (e.g Led Zeppelin, Cream, Black Sabbath, etc.), Blues (e.g R.L Burnside, muddy waters, john Lee hooker, etc.)

>15-16
    Country (e.g Hank William's, Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed, Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, etc.), Rockabilly/Psychobilly (e.g Stray Cats, The Cramps, Reverend Horton Heat, etc.) and above classic rock and blues